Kicker

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
Three5s!

Kicker

Post by Three5s! »

We need to put someone else out there. Schmit is just not performing. Surely we have someone else. With Schmit, I sure he is a great Sooner at heart and is very talented, so no disrespect intended at all. Thx for being here.

It just seems like a golfer that has hit drives consistently fairly straight, and then starts hooking and slicing. And then you fix it on the range, but on the course, the lack of accuracy just comes back. The harder you try, the worse it gets and the worse it gets, the harder you try. That means the performance in practice may not be a good indicator, just like the practice tee is not a good indicator in golf.

I would bet that this is what happened with our punter also. Luckily, that change seemed to work well and we got a P who can throw a good ball also. :) And wow, Downs looked like CeeDee on that catch. Just kidding, but it was stellar.
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

Gavin Marshall is the primary backup and as Brent said in his presser notes he’s been hurt most of the last 2/3 of season

Redi Mustafaraj has been the backup for at least a few weeks now and for whatever reason we have not used him. Redi joined OU as a preffered walk-on from NEO last Dec

He also started his own apparel company

And he actually does kick

In Brent I Trust :D
RussC

Post by RussC »

Redi must be actually horrible. They replaced Plaster with Elzinga so it’s not a matter of stubbornly sticking with the guy who won the job first.
#Mentally In Portal
SoonerGirl1201

Post by SoonerGirl1201 »

I think we are poor enough in place kicking that we need to have a game plan to always go for it on 4th when we are past the opponents 45. This means calling plays on 3rd down knowing you need to get 4th and 3 or less.

That is the only way I see correcting the issue at this point. We can never have to rely on a field goal to win the game. Should have gone to this mentality 3-4 games ago and maybe we win against KU/OSU where we had missed field goals.
SoonerTony

Post by SoonerTony »

The poor place kicking affects the play calling every time you cross the opponent’s 40 yard line. If you have a reliable kicker, you may call different plays vs what you can call if you can’t depend on the kicker. It hamstrings the entire offense.

It was frustrating on Saturday afternoon/evening watching teams like OSU and Texas who have strong place kicking. It’s not like the problem just happened all of a sudden this season. He struggled last year too.

How much worse could Redi be?
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

Whats really strange is his extra points. He’s perfect this year! And a big sample size too. He is 57-57!!! And yet struggles on field goals. Amazing stat variance
In Brent I Trust :D
Bronco

Post by Bronco »

He does have good distance. He has the yips, I think. You don’t really want to commit to never trying a field goal because the defense then can change their calls too.
:ou:
RussC

Post by RussC »

Bronco wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:47 pm You don’t really want to commit to never trying a field goal
:ou:
Nor do you want to commit to missing most of your FG attempts that are in easy range
#Mentally In Portal
MontOUfan

Post by MontOUfan »

At least he is better than the kicker the Sooners face this week. :D