OU vs Arizona Alamo Bowl 28 Dec Leadup Thread

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
AllSooner

Post by AllSooner »

Bottom post of the previous page:

I guess I'm as guilty as any one.....when I'm talking about the Sooners against whomever, I always say "we'll" slaughter 'em! Or "we" will win this game. So I guess I consider myself as part of the team. All the time I know that the only fans that are a "real" part of the team are the ones sitting in the stands. To use a description borrowed from the aggies......those in the stand make up "THE 12th MAN" on the team!
WishBone

Post by WishBone »

I believe Beville will suit up for the bowl if I heard BV correct...................
Opinions are still "OK" ...Correct?
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

Pokerman wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 5:05 pm
gcruse7 wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 4:55 pm
Zgeo wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 1:49 pm I am feeling good for this game… i have confidence in the Sooners….
As a fan, what's the point of taking any other stance?
Yeah, it all depends upon the players.
None of us will be playing a single down so it doesn't matter how motivated or confident we are.
:BV:
Other fans have taken a different stance on this board. Look above many are worried that the Oline guys might not perform or that JA is not experienced enough.

I might not be confident if Bowman and Stutsman were not playing and a bunch of jet sweeps were pending but Bowman and Stutsman are playing and jet sweeps are out the door…so all is good…… :ou: :rice:
bowhuntr

Post by bowhuntr »

Zgeo wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 8:58 am
Pokerman wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 5:05 pm
gcruse7 wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 4:55 pm

As a fan, what's the point of taking any other stance?
Yeah, it all depends upon the players.
None of us will be playing a single down so it doesn't matter how motivated or confident we are.
:BV:
Other fans have taken a different stance on this board. Look above many are worried that the Oline guys might not perform or that JA is not experienced enough.

I might not be confident if Bowman and Stutsman were not playing and a bunch of jet sweeps were pending but Bowman and Stutsman are playing and jet sweeps are out the door…so all is good…… :ou: :rice:
And hopefully those darn sideways passes followed them out the same door.
Pokerman

Post by Pokerman »

[/quote]
[/quote]

Absolutely, along with the passes thrown short of the line to gain on 3rd and 4th down. Those drive me nuts.
RussC

Post by RussC »

Pokerman wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:15 am
[/quote]

Absolutely, along with the passes thrown short of the line to gain on 3rd and 4th down. Those drive me nuts.
[/quote]

“Jet Lebby”. Known for the “Jeff Sweep”.
#Mentally In Portal
MontOUfan

Post by MontOUfan »

All the jet sweeps and outside quick screens are designed to get the defense to have to play the entire width of the field. Theoretically it is designed to open up zones in the passing game and keep the linebackers and corners honest against the inside run game. Without them the throwing windows in the middle third of the field can get narrower and narrower. I don't see them abandoning them completely since that has been a staple of their offense all year. "Dang, that guy just hit a homerun off my curve ball. I guess I just won't throw it anymore."
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

MontOUfan wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:13 pm All the jet sweeps and outside quick screens are designed to get the defense to have to play the entire width of the field. Theoretically it is designed to open up zones in the passing game and keep the linebackers and corners honest against the inside run game. Without them the throwing windows in the middle third of the field can get narrower and narrower. I don't see them abandoning them completely since that has been a staple of their offense all year. "Dang, that guy just hit a homerun off my curve ball. I guess I just won't throw it anymore."
Sure and Lebby’s implementation was cleverly designed to wear out the opponents defense by making them run deep into our backfield to tackle our ball carrier……. :confusedplus: :confusedplus: :confusedplus: :confusedplus:
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

Here's a video special covering the U of AZ football program and their being in the Alamo Bowl. It's interesting IMO, and not obnoxious. 22 minutes. They apparently have one of those up and coming coaches, and you know they are pumped to play OU:

Click on the "watch on youtube" link.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

MontOUfan wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:13 pm All the jet sweeps and outside quick screens are designed to get the defense to have to play the entire width of the field. Theoretically it is designed to open up zones in the passing game and keep the linebackers and corners honest against the inside run game. Without them the throwing windows in the middle third of the field can get narrower and narrower. I don't see them abandoning them completely since that has been a staple of their offense all year. "Dang, that guy just hit a homerun off my curve ball. I guess I just won't throw it anymore."
MontOUfan, I guess you do have a point,theoretically,.....if executed properly and just randomly probably does serve a purpose to keep the defense spread out at least a little. But I think a steady dose of it gets us in trouble more often than not. Like you said, they probably won't abandon it completely, but I do expect more power running or some GT counters. I'm not sure you can install something like that with a new offensive line just for a bowl game though, but I hope we have enough to keep their defense honest so we can use JA to our advantage in our passing game. I liked how JA changed the call in the BYU game and the WR (Farooq) knew exactly where to go to get the 1st down when the game was on the line back in Provo. Gives me hope that if we have a good enough run game to keep their defense engaged, we can see if JA can exploit any weaknesses their secondary may have.
aka Crimson47
Triple Option

Post by Triple Option »

"just glad to be home"

All that is gold does not glitter.
Not all those who wander are lost.
The old that is strong does not wither.
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
- Bilbo Baggins
captnop

Post by captnop »

There are other ways to attack the LOS and keep the defense honest. Thats why the air raid uses the dink and dunk ... the only difference is those result in at least ( usually) positive yardage +2,3,4 yards. What I noticed is that if you are playing a half way decent team ( KU ... OSU) they sniff out the jet sweeps and bubble screens at or Behind the LOS that Lebby was so fond of and blow them up for no gain or a loss. Thats EXACTLY why when OU got the ball back at the end of the KU game ( Downs INT) they went three and out real quick and that was the game. I'll take the Dink and Dunk of the air raid over the other stuff any day. Lebby had , in OU , the most talented team he's had as an OC. The losses at KU and OSU showed the ceiling of that offense, or more accurately his ability to call plays in that offense.