Easy Question

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
EMan

Post by EMan »

Bottom post of the previous page:

IMO, we're seeing some unintended consequences with the portal. Not that you needed to be a rocket scientist to see where this was headed. I believe the good intentions of the portal was to allow players that weren't starters or seeing the playing field enough to transfer to a place where they could see more action. I have no problem with that. But a blind man could see how star players could use this as leverage to gain more NIL money. The problem was that the NCAA wasn't smart enough to study the issue and realize some type of restriction would be needed to keep this from getting out of hand.

As I mentioned in another thread, it's a sad state of affairs when NFL teams have more stability with their players from one year to the next than college teams do. The current status of the sport is unrestricted free agency for every player, regardless of tenure, with no salary cap. No sport can survive that. It's just a matter of time before the house of cards crumbles and chaos ensues. I still love watching the Sooners, but admit it's lost some of its luster, which is really sad. Maybe losing some passion for things is a normal byproduct of seeing things change as we age. I don't know, but I definitely don't care for the current path college football is headed down. There's an inevitable train wreck coming.
I may not always be right, but I'm never wrong!
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

Maybe the SEC and big fix this when they break away from the ncaa…..but until then chaos…. :bang: :megaphone:
RussC

Post by RussC »

Zgeo wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:26 am Maybe the SEC and big fix this when they break away from the ncaa…..but until then chaos…. :bang: :megaphone:
Yes. SEC and B10 will expand into analogs of the old AFL and NFL. Then they can have their Super Bowl.
#Mentally In Portal
MsProudSooner

Post by MsProudSooner »

Zgeo wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:00 am What is the summary? I dont want to watch the video……
This is from memory, which may be faulty:

Fix the calendar: Separate the transfer portal time frames from the LOI signing dates. High School players can't make good decisions about where to go because they don't know who is going to be on potential teams.

Allow only one 'free' transfer. He would do away with the graduate transfer. Hardship cases would still be allowed.

If you commit as a high school player, you can't transfer for 20-24 months. Helps in the development of players. This would help potential players and the teams.

He likes the NCAA Commissioner's suggestions about NIL that he made this last week.

Portal and NIL are good but they are like dessert: Too much isn't good for anyone.
Blue

Post by Blue »

Building on a few of the ideas above . . .

1. 5 years to play 4.
2. Transfers only allowed after 2 years with the current team (so 2 max). 2 exceptions: a) if your coach is fired (coach leaving is not an exception); or b) your scholarship is not renewed.
3. NIL $ must be transparent. This is a game integrity thing. Currently what keeps the sharps from doing an NIL deal with a player to point shave? Particularly in meaningless games like a November matchup between TCU and Texas Tech? Lot's of $ on a meaningless game . . .
4. 85 (or perhaps slightly more) on roster. So NIL doesn't make scholarships meaningless.
5. Scholarships are only 1 academic year long.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

RussC wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:30 am
Zgeo wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:26 am Maybe the SEC and big fix this when they break away from the ncaa…..but until then chaos…. :bang: :megaphone:
Yes. SEC and B10 will expand into analogs of the old AFL and NFL. Then they can have their Super Bowl.
Get them both up to 20 teams and I can see how this could very possibly be the future.
Then the rest of "College Football" would basically be in the fold of whatever's left of the NCAA and would just populate whatever remaining bowl games that weren't already filled.
aka Crimson47
pippen

Post by pippen »

Last edited by pippen on Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
soonerindallas

Post by soonerindallas »

Worried - something has to be done to fix both the transfer portal and NIL. I hate the state of both of those now, and feel they will ruin the game. I really think that a big reason guys are transferring (including our guys) is for some greater NIL payout elsewhere.

I just hope congress can pass something to get a handle on NIL.

The transfer portal needs to revert back to a form of what it once was. If you sign with a coach, and the coach leaves, then you should be able to transfer without sitting out a year. However, if you have signed with a coach/school, and you want to transfer, then you have to sit a year before transferring.
MontOUfan

Post by MontOUfan »

All of these attempts to change NIL and the Transfer Portal would last as long as the next lawsuit.
Transfer lawsuit
StatesEye

Post by StatesEye »

soonerindallas wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:26 am The transfer portal needs to revert back to a form of what it once was. If you sign with a coach, and the coach leaves, then you should be able to transfer without sitting out a year. However, if you have signed with a coach/school, and you want to transfer, then you have to sit a year before transferring.
This right here.

I don't want to hear about "giving these kids" options and flexibility. It's a freaking business. They demanded they should be paid, I agree. Then they are not be to treated like regular students. Again, it's a business. A one-year DO NOT COMPETE clause - basically as described above - will put a kabash on most of what we are seeing. I don't think they should have to "sit" and lose a year of eligibility but they should have to sit nonetheless.

How to get this done..... I don't know. I despise the idea of federal law/regulations for this, but let's face it, this is an interstate business and needs to be regulated as such if participants cannot regulate themselves.

It's coming....just a matter of time.
MontOUfan

Post by MontOUfan »

I know that most people think that perception is reality, but I keep coming back to the whole premise of NIL in light of people’s comments that “OU offered him this,” or “Colorado gave him a huge bag” and feel a need to point out that NIL collectives are structurally independent of a school. University staff (coaches, recruiters, financial officers etc. etc.) are not to have any association with an NIL collective. I know that it is a bit naive to think that these collectives don’t have a lot of influence, but the way in which they function has already been determined. The problem is NOT that there are no guidelines or regulations concerning NIL, IT IS THAT THEY ARE NOT ENFORCED.

* First, a name, image, and likeness (NIL) agreement without a quid pro quo is impermissible. Athletes must provide something in exchange for the receipt of compensation.
* Second, compensation cannot be premised on an athlete’s participation or achievement related to his or her athletic ability.
* Third, colleges and universities cannot directly provide compensation in exchange for the use of an athlete’s NIL.
* Finally, NIL compensation cannot be made contingent upon an athlete’s enrollment at a particular school.

One last thought - I can’t wait until the day that the associations between NIL collectives and specific universities grows so close that Title IX restrictions will come into play. “No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance.” Imagine what that might look like.
StatesEye

Post by StatesEye »

MontOUfan wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:34 pm I know that most people think that perception is reality, but I keep coming back to the whole premise of NIL in light of people’s comments that “OU offered him this,” or “Colorado gave him a huge bag” and feel a need to point out that NIL collectives are structurally independent of a school. University staff (coaches, recruiters, financial officers etc. etc.) are not to have any association with an NIL collective. I know that it is a bit naive to think that these collectives don’t have a lot of influence, but the way in which they function has already been determined. The problem is NOT that there are no guidelines or regulations concerning NIL, IT IS THAT THEY ARE NOT ENFORCED.

* First, a name, image, and likeness (NIL) agreement without a quid pro quo is impermissible. Athletes must provide something in exchange for the receipt of compensation.
* Second, compensation cannot be premised on an athlete’s participation or achievement related to his or her athletic ability.
* Third, colleges and universities cannot directly provide compensation in exchange for the use of an athlete’s NIL.
* Finally, NIL compensation cannot be made contingent upon an athlete’s enrollment at a particular school.

One last thought - I can’t wait until the day that the associations between NIL collectives and specific universities grows so close that Title IX restrictions will come into play. “No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance.” Imagine what that might look like.
Very good thoughts. Can you expand on the definition of "NIL collectives"? I assume something like OU has/trying to set up. Of course, my phrasing that way already indicates that it is "so close".
WishBone

Post by WishBone »

OUBeliever Wrote:The turnover in the roster also makes "teaching a system" even tougher. Will a defensive coach ever have a two-deep depth chart with everyone KNOWING the system?

Exactly!!!
Opinions are still "OK" ...Correct?
MontOUfan

Post by MontOUfan »

NIL Collectives are supposed to be independent organizations/entities that raise funds and direct those funds to student athletes in exchange for the use of their name/image/likeness to endorse a product or business, make special appearances, use social media as influence, or even support a particular charity etc. Most collectives are made up of donors/boosters while some are more like a marketplace that connects athletes to a wide variety of opportunities. The lines between university and donor collectives are getting blurrier and blurrier because the NCAA is too skittish about trying to enforce their regulations governing them.
Fly

Post by Fly »

E-Man I think you summed it up to a tee. Lord can you image how a coach as BV feels about the current state of affairs as it is right
now? How could you stay motivated for very long. We will start to see burn out among coaches at the rate things are headed.

🪰Fly :BV: :ou:
StatesEye

Post by StatesEye »

MontOUfan wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:12 pm NIL Collectives are supposed to be independent organizations/entities that raise funds and direct those funds to student athletes in exchange for the use of their name/image/likeness to endorse a product or business, make special appearances, use social media as influence, or even support a particular charity etc. Most collectives are made up of donors/boosters while some are more like a marketplace that connects athletes to a wide variety of opportunities. The lines between university and donor collectives are getting blurrier and blurrier because the NCAA is too skittish about trying to enforce their regulations governing them.
Thanks!

If others on the board are interested in reading more, here is a link.
1Oklahoma Collective