My ChallengeTo You ST Member

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

Bottom post of the previous page:

walt wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 3:55 pm I hope everyone here on this board expresses their ideas about how we can get this board back on track.
Walt and all

I think threads like this one are what takes the board off track. This one was started and has been used to point out dislikes of posts and what is there to gain? This doesn't get the board back on track but instead divides it. If you don't like someone's post, skip over it.

What did WB and CM hope to gain by the posts in this thread other than to anger people? It has been very clear the last few days that WB has some issue with OUG and I don't know why, but freaking let it go and talk OU football. Now we are subtly starting a thread basically pointing the finger at OUG. WT heck is the hope to accomplish?

I have said more than once that we need a new kicker, yet no one seemed to disagree with that position. Yet someone or two get mad because others have concerns with the QB and now they are OU and QB haters? If someone disagrees, state your case and don't take it personal. Gabriel is gone, get over it and stop :deadhorse:

By they way, Navy just scored and it is 10-3.
You shall not pass
OU Chinaman

Post by OU Chinaman »

Gandalf wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 4:46 pm
walt wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 3:55 pm I hope everyone here on this board expresses their ideas about how we can get this board back on track.
Walt and all

I think threads like this one are what takes the board off track. This one was started and has been used to point out dislikes of posts and what is there to gain? This doesn't get the board back on track but instead divides it. If you don't like someone's post, skip over it.

What did WB and CM hope to gain by the posts in this thread other than to anger people? It has been very clear the last few days that WB has some issue with OUG and I don't know why, but freaking let it go and talk OU football. Now we are subtly starting a thread basically pointing the finger at OUG. WT heck is the hope to accomplish?

I have said more than once that we need a new kicker, yet no one seemed to disagree with that position. Yet someone or two get mad because others have concerns with the QB and now they are OU and QB haters? If someone disagrees, state your case and don't take it personal. Gabriel is gone, get over it and stop :deadhorse:

By they way, Navy just scored and it is 10-3.

...in your opinion, of course. :D

"What did WB and CM hope to gain by the posts in this thread other than to anger people.

Not speaking for WB, but stated my intent quite succinctly...and it WAS NOT to anger people. (Though I have obviously angered you.) :dude:
I get it wizard...it's OK for anybody here to criticize SOONER players and coaches,...but not OK for anybody to criticize them for their criticism.
(I see said the blind man as he picked up his hammer and saw.)

I've abjectly failed with my stated goal on this thread

(By the way...The Black Knights score. 17-3 ARMY. 4 minutes left in the 4th.

:ou: :ou: :ou: :rice:
WishBone

Post by WishBone »

Gandalf wrote:This one was started and has been used to point out dislikes of posts and what is there to gain?........Did you not read the thread at ALL????
You are dead wrong my friend..............but as always you have your opinion and I respect it.
Opinions are still "OK" ...Correct?
OUGENO

Post by OUGENO »

A message board is to let posters have their opinions weather I agree or not but that is what they think. I don't think they are OU haters but what they think of play calling,QB not making a good play,defense not playing well or why is a player not in the game. This is their opinion and because we do not agree with them is no reason to attack them. I do not post very much because I am not a good writer but I read this MB every day and enjoy all the info that is posted. :BV: :ou:
SwampSooner

Post by SwampSooner »

First off, I live out of state and don't do social media. I come to this board for information from posters I trust.

Since I am not "in the know", I try to post some humorous items to lighten the atmosphere (like SEC Roll Call and SEC shorts). They may not directly pertain to OU, but do occasionanonlly poke fun at us. I hope none are offended and think I am not serious enough to be posting.

I do get serious from time to time, but I restrict myself to not singling any one coach or player (or poster) for my opinions.
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

Some great comments all around. Still not sure what tbe board wants though. These type topics in my opinion are never good and get lots of posts - where were those posts in football threads?

I can’t get past one thing. No one is stopping anyone from creating a thread. No one is stopping anyone from posting in any thread. So what is the problem? Is it too much info? If so anyone can skip a thread.

I am always one to look for solutions. Perhaps we need 2 football boards.

1. Football discussion. Talk about football. No social media posts. Purely discussion.

2. Football info. A place to post information about football.

I don’t know the answers and solutions. In this day age social media is the new water cooler. Gone are the days of magazines, long articles and insiders who called on the phone and said things. Social media is what players use. Recruits use. Coaches use. Colleges use. Everyone uses it. Whats good is it puts a name to it via their account.

Before Elon I hated Twitter. Only copied/pasted the content but that didn’t give credit to the originator and made the info suspect. Once Elon made it required to join to see and search, I held out. I have no facebook or Instagram. I finally made an account and to this day have never posted from it. But twitter has come back string and some said it was going to die when Elon bought its now stronger than ever and growing.

Its a tool to communicate and its what modern kids use so therfore the rest of sports uses it to reach them. Kids love it and we must embrace it to that end.

If I came on here and said player X looks to be leaning to OU and thats it, some would question me and where I got the info. If I post a tweet saying the same thing, then any questions would be directed to the owner of the tweet. It actually is a built in reference. Over years I have learned who is more trustworty in their tweets. Its still left to the poster to decide if they want to buy in or not. You have national, regional and local. Each plays a key part in information.

I really hate to see sides and thats why I think this thread is counterproductive. Don’t like what you see ignore it. Don’t see what you like make a thread and discuss. Its that simple.

I am really easy going, if posters or mods want me to leave I would do so. Have a beef PM me. I am not and never will be perfect. I like to read about OU and social media has a lot of coverage. So I try to post it here.

But I try and create threads and label them too, so you can skip if not interested. I have a 24/25/26 HS thread to show our future players. Some like it some may not its easy to skip. Same for many threads, I actually try to organize the ones I make so a lot can go in them. I have a baseball thread with all the commits info and other related baseball stuff. Could have been 50 different threads but I put it all in one. And so on. I do this to help and ID topic thread so if you don’t like it you can skip it.

Here is some examples of how much info happened in the 6 hoirs since I last posted. Normally I’d put these in their applicable thread, posting here to illustrate how much is out there. Some like this info:

A player leaving for NFL

OU Football passing the torch from DG to JA

OU commit making big play

Same game other team OU commit making big play

25 QB confirming he is locked in

OU bowl game practice

OU BB wrapping up another win (9-0 now)

OU roster tracker update

As you can see social media is all over the map covering sports. Its a new way to get more info faster. Some want it posted and some don’t. As I said I don’t want to hurt the board. But lets be honest, if people left thats on them. They 100% could post a thread to discuss football. Why didn’t they? That still confuses me.

I have offered go pay any amount of money to upgrade this board. I suggested we have archive feature to place all gamethreads. All threads on main football board vanish after 6 months. Why? If its money for storage hit me up. Many great threads are gone and if those had been kept maybe lurkers would read and want to join in. A thread about old time OU players a year or so ago was one of the best threads ever made here. It had so much info in it - but due to the 6 month purge its gone. Thats a shame. Lots if great threads could be put in archive if we had one. Again, offerimg suggestjoks and solutions (I’ll pay for it).

There is nothing wrong with this board some small tweaking can’t fix. But we have to stop complaining and be part of the solution.

Likely many typos I did this by iphone.

Sorry so long
In Brent I Trust :D
OU Chinaman

Post by OU Chinaman »

..."In this day age social media is the new water cooler. Gone are the days of magazines, long articles, and insiders who called on the phone and said things.
Social Media is what players use.
Recruits use.
Coaches use.
College's use.
EVERYONE uses it.

Well, you got me there OUG!
EVERYONE does use it...except me.
I'm like Bill Belichek,...I'm not on "snapface or chatbook or TitterX".

You remind me that I'm an anachronism.
You're right, too! :D

(sigh) :boohoo:

(Some good ideas for the board in your posts. I'd like to see a "GENERAL Sports Topic" Category. I used to post MLB, NHL, PGA, and pro boxing opinions and promotions, but was criticized for being off topic, so dx'd that. Use to be a Memorial Section for honoring SOONER players and coaches that have passed. And I'd personally like to see an increase in emojis available.)

(And this is exactly the kind of discussion I think 'Bone hoped to instigate and I poorly(evidently) tried to second.)

Fly

Post by Fly »

OUGuy! Hey Bud keep doing as you have. I think this whole thread got a little twisted some how. I like who ever said, in this post,
I also get much info from the post you copy. This tread some how got taken out of context. Forget it! I consider most everyone a
friend on this board. I have words with my wife from time to time, but we blow it off & go on & put it behind us. We all are just
a bunch of Great Sooner fans pulling for a great program & team. :boohoo: BOOMER Sooner!

🪰Fly :BV: :ou:
StatesEye

Post by StatesEye »

WishBone

Post by WishBone »

One simple solution would be to Get back to the old way and post all recruiting info on the recruiting forum.It allows other posters to post more lengthy info without being bombarded with Tweet after Tweet.Just a Suggestion?........................Hello Management?
Opinions are still "OK" ...Correct?
StatesEye

Post by StatesEye »

I'm no longer an administrator so will add my thoughts.

The board has been getting "stale" for well over a decade. It's not the fault of the board. Times have changed. Message boards just ain't what they used to be. Everyone is on other forms of social media. Message boards that are not "stale" are generally cesspools of pissing matches. I'm sure none of us want to see us go down that path.

I'm against any prohibition of X reposts. Members should be able to post X reposts within any thread that is relevant. OU Guy brings a lot of info to the board from X that many of us "old timers" would never see. Furthermore, there are many things OU Guy posts that I don't see in my X feed, so I appreciate his contributions.

OU Guy, I've mentioned before that you brought some new life to the board starting back when you were SVT. So, I hope you keep doing what you do. I also recognize that you post plenty of your own comments on the board.....way more than I do. However, something I would suggest to you.... If you disagree with any opinion posed by a board member, don't repost a bunch of X contributions from non-board members to support a counter argument.

I miss Rick..... I assume that is who walt was mentioning in his post above. I cannot speak for Rick but the main reason I don't post as often is because my life got as busy as it has ever been about the same time we moved to the new board format. I drop in and read often, but as all of you know, posting takes way more time than reading.

Lastly, arguments that occur in one thread SHOULD NOT keep spilling over into others. One type of occurrence on this board - and it's been around for 20 years - are the snarky comments that show up in threads that are obvious barbs in responses to arguments that were held in another thread. I've seen such snarky comments persist for months and months afterward. I know for a FACT of one longtime (practically foundational) member that no longer posts much because of this. I tried to moderate some of this last year. I will try to renew my efforts in this regard.
captnop

Post by captnop »

My only thought on any of this is .. quite of bit of info comes out on X/Twitter now a days .. I guess someone can post hey xyz player is portaling or going NFL WITHOUT the link. However posting the players X/Twitter statement removes all ambiguity. Not sure what all the fuss is about. I think folks just have TOO much time on their hands.

I guess if people think boards aren't what they used to we could a bane [ ] checkbox back and see if Wyandotte Wildcat shows back up.
SoonerinLA

Post by SoonerinLA »

I am absolutely against prohibiting posts from social media. That's where the information is at now and I am especially thankful to OU Guy for his posts and/or reposts. And thanks to others too. I have never understood why people get so hurt as to pick up and leave this board. Why so angry, it's just the internet? Are you going to a better board? I highly doubt that.
:horns:
OU Chinaman

Post by OU Chinaman »

..."The board has been getting stale for well over a decade. It's not the fault of the board. Times have changed. Message boards just ain't what they used to be.
EVERYONE is on other forms of social media."

After sleeping on this...

I think this is accurate (much to my personal consternation) and may indicate that MB's as we know them today could soon be as obsolete as cassette tapes. :dude:

WishBone had the best of intentions when his OP was fired out here. :handsup:
I believe it was worth the attempt and had merit in its' intent, so I got behind it.

OUG first, and SE have illustrated for me that what "Bone & I hoped for & wanted to restore, is probably beyond restoration. :boohoo:
Times HAVE changed!
So have people.
The ST MB of a decade ago will never be again.
I both see and accept that now.

That tired old cliche, IT IS WHAT IT IS. seems appropriate.

So, once again I want to reiterate and emphasize "If you want to be critical of SOONER Players and Coaches, go ahead. Rip them...trash them if you so choose!
I WILL NO LONGER respond with a rebuttal post. If I reply at all, it will be the simple thumbs down emoji. :handsdown:
And I will require the same of all of you.

If you want to quote me, disagree with me, or take me to task for my opinion, then you "called down the thunder,and now you've got it" expect me to come back with my own unique loquacity. :crackthewhip:
But, if you want to insult, name call, or repeat your disdain for anything SOONER, feel free. I'm retiring my badge, no longer the "Sunshine Pumper" Sheriff. :D

People on ST today seem more than a little "overly sensitive" to any disagreement or disapproval.
(I CAN BE AS CRITICAL AS I WANT OF ANYONE...but I DON'T WANT TO BE CRITICIZED FOR IT. A little hypocritical IMO.)

Think I have a clearer understanding of the nature of SOONER Fans today, thanks in no small part to this very thread.

I've accepted that I don't fit in with the current "collective" of ST members.
I journey on a road whose end is certain, but not yet in sight.
I'm going to be THAT SOONER Fan whose loyalty and love for the Program is undying and unquenchable. My posts will reflect that.
I can traverse this path powered by my own inner flame, and don't need or seek approval from the GROUP THINK. becoming more & more evident.

Want to thank ALL who contributed here.
If nothing else, I think certain realities have been established, and hope we can all benefit.
My last word on this matter.

"Barbarians are much more polite than civilized men, since civilized men do not think as a matter of course, that they may have their skulls cloven in twain." -CONAN :cool:

OU_Tom

Post by OU_Tom »

WishBone wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:34 am One simple solution would be to Get back to the old way and post all recruiting info on the recruiting forum.It allows other posters to post more lengthy info without being bombarded with Tweet after Tweet.Just a Suggestion?........................Hello Management?
Keeping the portal/recruiting threads in the OU Football Recruiting forum seems like a reasonable suggestion to me

OU Guy wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:39 pm.
But I try and create threads and label them too, so you can skip if not interested. I have a 24/25/26 HS thread to show our future players. Some like it some may not its easy to skip. Same for many threads, I actually try to organize the ones I make so a lot can go in them. I have a baseball thread with all the commits info and other related baseball stuff. Could have been 50 different threads but I put it all in one. And so on. I do this to help and ID topic thread so if you don’t like it you can skip it.
Would you be okay if we move these longer recruiting/portal threads over to the OU Football Recruiting forum?
::rice2:: :dude:
RussC

Post by RussC »

I believe that lately there are young people that are actually able to make quite a bit of money from chatting about OU football on YouTube. Ten to 15 years ago, that person likely would have been active on a board such as this one, creating written content for free.
#Mentally In Portal