Oklahoma Sooners SB Arrive & Leave Kentucky with a Statement Win

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Bottom post of the previous page:

I think we're beginning to see Coach Gasso's preference for the main position players now. The specific batting line-up may switch around a bit depending on who we're playing or who's hot, but it appears like things are starting to settle in.
The kink of course is if/when Hansen gets back to her old self. I liked how Alo, Elam, and Brito were positioned to potentially bring extra runs in with home runs but, of course, everyone has cleared the fence with a home run sometime during the season.
The Kentucky coach had some very telling remarks after the game: "We don't have a pitcher in our arsenal that has seen anything like that". And one of their players: "We're always working for postseason and they just showed us what May is going to be like" . Kind of an interesting look at the game from their side : https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/in ... ar-AAVpsTk
aka Crimson47
ousbfan

Post by ousbfan »

TropicalSooner

I agree, it's like this every year with players moving to various positions back and forth at the beginning till it finally jells.

The article you posted written by Kentucky journalist I thought was a class act article. Coach Lawson and players showed class also in their comments about OU.

Thanks for the post
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Has anyone noticed if Coach Gasso has had a PC after the Kentucky game? or recently....after HOF classic?
aka Crimson47
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

Public Chastisement
Pitching Change
Personal Commitment
Partridge Casserole
Pickle Collection
ousbfan

Post by ousbfan »

In case anyone didn't get to see the Kentucky game, the full game is now on youtube.
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

inconnu wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:08 pm Public Chastisement
Pitching Change
Personal Commitment
Partridge Casserole
Pickle Collection
Press Conference
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Pitching Change
Personal Commitment
Partridge Casserole
Pickle Collection
Press Conference

Sorry
aka Crimson47
TN Sooner

Post by TN Sooner »

After the SEC move happened, I joined Rivals - my one year expires and I won’t review.

However, there are Pressers done via zoom that are shared on Rivals (by posters, not staff) there that appear to be official OU productions that don’t show up on SoonerSports. I don’t really understand this phenomenon. I haven’t tried to figure out the underlying link to see where they are actually posted.
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

OUBeliever56A wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:56 am
Pitching Change
Personal Commitment
Partridge Casserole
Pickle Collection
Press Conference
I was thinking maybe she did something to her face, and I didn't notice what it was :confusedplus: :D
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

TN Sooner wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:06 am After the SEC move happened, I joined Rivals - my one year expires and I won’t review.

However, there are Pressers done via zoom that are shared on Rivals (by posters, not staff) there that appear to be official OU productions that don’t show up on SoonerSports. I don’t really understand this phenomenon. I haven’t tried to figure out the underlying link to see where they are actually posted.
Thanks TNSooner....
I sent a msg to Plank's text line and found out she is having one today at 1pm CDT.
aka Crimson47
71Sooner

Post by 71Sooner »

On Bahl’s error on throw attempting to get the runner at 2nd base, the color commentator on the broadcast, usually a former player, stated that usually the SS takes the throw and this time it was the 2nd baseman. This would create a different visual for Bahl. The throw was to SS side of 2nd base. Don’t know how much of a factor this was but thought it was an interesting comment.
TN Sooner

Post by TN Sooner »

The color was Michelle Smith - former osu and Olympic pitcher. She certainly would be in the know.

I went back to SoonerSports today and they are definitely not posting the Gasso zooms. They post all the football, basketball pressers, but only special things in softball (Alo from Hawaii after the record breaker, for example). Seems they should post more content!
TN Sooner

Post by TN Sooner »

ousbfan wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:27 am In case anyone didn't get to see the Kentucky game, the full game is now on youtube.
Also posted at SoonerSports.tv (subscription content).
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

TN Sooner wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:10 pm The color was Michelle Smith - former osu and Olympic pitcher. She certainly would be in the know.

I went back to SoonerSports today and they are definitely not posting the Gasso zooms. They post all the football, basketball pressers, but only special things in softball (Alo from Hawaii after the record breaker, for example). Seems they should post more content!
Yeah....you would think that our only team sport with a current national championship would get better coverage...... <sigh>
aka Crimson47
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

71Sooner wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:37 pm On Bahl’s error on throw attempting to get the runner at 2nd base, the color commentator on the broadcast, usually a former player, stated that usually the SS takes the throw and this time it was the 2nd baseman. This would create a different visual for Bahl. The throw was to SS side of 2nd base. Don’t know how much of a factor this was but thought it was an interesting comment.
I was thinking about this very thing yesterday as I drove to Wichita Falls and back to visit my granddaughter who is in the Air Force training. I am very proud of her and we had a great visit.

What I remembered was that Jennings was leaning out from 2B towards the SS position to catch the throw. Lyons was 'watching' from the left of the play. I agree that in most situations, with no one out, that the 1B and 3B would be charging to cover the bunt with Jennings covering 1st and Lyons covering 2B. During the play either the P or the C would cover 3B. This play was messed up earlier in the year at Mary Nutter (if I remember right) when no one covered 3rd.

From what we see, Snow must have been at 1B with Johns charging. If that was the case, Lyons should have been moving to 3B especially when she saw that Bahl fielded the bunt. I agree that Bahl looks like she was leading Lyons to the bag at second base but you could not see Lyons in the frame of the camera. After the throw got to J Coleman in CF, you see Lyons moving towards 3B.

I think with a LH slapper at the plate, I am guessing that the Sooners were covering the bunt with just Johns and Bahl and keeping Snow back. I think what goes with that coverage is that Lyons was positioned for the slap towards the hole between SS and 3B. So Lyons could not get to the bag at second before Kowalik who is very fast. I believe that Bahl just made a bad throw to Jennings as she tried to make a quick throw to get Kowalik. A good throw would have gotten Kowalik. So I think the coverage was probably sound and even correct, with a good throw.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Thank you for the clarification on the play. After it was brought up I was scratching my head about Lyons too, but what you've said makes perfect sense.
It appears that we still have some things to work on in practice though.
Thanks
aka Crimson47