The Struggle of Being a Senior

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
TropicalSooner

The Struggle of Being a Senior

Post by TropicalSooner »

Some if not many of our 4th and 5th year players production has recently been trending down. I'm sure film and familiarity contributes to this, as well as better defensive positioning, perhaps.

But the thing I'm really wondering about is if they are experiencing mental fatigue from so many years of intense preparation and/or feeling the pressure of their collegiate career coming to an end. They still have obligations from school and perhaps outside of school and softball as well. They are about to enter the world of being an adult. I'm sure they feel the pressure of their all american status and the pressure we as fans put them under to perform at superhuman levels. It almost seems like they are more concerned about making a mistake, rather than attacking the opposing pitcher. The game almost appears simpler to the freshmen than the seniors.
And I don't think we are alone on this---although it is more noticeable due to our championship history. But other schools heavy with seniors seem to be struggling as well. LSU and Georgia for example. But the teams that are doing well now....Texas and Okie St for example...are younger teams that don't know what the pressure feels like yet. Like we were in 2021 and 2022.

Perhaps I am all wet on this. I frequently am on other topics. But I love our team and will continue to support and cheer for them, no matter the outcome of the season.
aka Crimson47
MsProudSooner

Post by MsProudSooner »

I have noticed this same thing is other sports. It's certainly not all Seniors but it's true for some.
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

Go out in a "Blaze of Glory", girls!