Bedlam game #1

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

Bottom post of the previous page:

TORRES GETS A HIT! 2B Sanders comes to bat. She walks. Boone to bat. Pop out. 2 outs Coleman up. She gets an infield single and we score a run. Pickering at bat. She flies out. We're down 3. 7th inning now.
soonershok

Post by soonershok »

This is how its been the majority of the year. Get runners on base and leave them there.
BudaSooner

Post by BudaSooner »

Sooners go 1-2-3 in the bottom of the inning, Pokes win Game 1. Pokes 6 runs, 7 hits 3 errors 4 LOB; OU 3 runs, 3 hits, 0 errors, 8 LOB.
Poster previously known as BlackwellSooner
BudaSooner

Post by BudaSooner »

There really is no silver lining, as we had all hoped for a 3 game sweep. That ain't gonna happen, now. But if there IS a silver lining, it's that their ace, Kilfoyl is probably not in the immediate future for them, although she might appear in relief in Game 3.

OUr best hope, now, is to win the next two games. I am guessing Nicole probably gets the call tomorrow, with Maxwell, like Kilfoyl, likely a reliever sometime in the next two games.

The way that the Pokes were slugging the ball tonight, Nicole better watch out. She does tend to deliver the gopher ball...
BudaSooner

Post by BudaSooner »

OUr failure to jump on their starting pitcher Aycock (a little surprised it wasn't Kilfoyl with the start) really hurt us.
Aycock walked a lot of Sooners, but we didn't get the timely hits, which is getting to be too commonplace a thing!

Aycock and Kilfoyl combined to hold the Sooners to only 3 hits, which isn't gonna win too many games...

If I was Mr or Mrs Godwin, I'd have been mighty proud of my girl tonight! 3 for 4 with 4 RBI, 2 doubles and a HR....
1KCSoonerFan

Post by 1KCSoonerFan »

The team did the best they could do tonight. I'm positive it was not for lack or will, want to, or trying.

It wasn't enough to win for one reason or another.

What more can be said?

Yes, there are reasons for the loss. I'm just not sure what the Sooners can do about those reasons staring down the post-season. I think this is just the team that "we" are this year. No shame in that.

Coach is gonna have her hands full to rally the ladies after this one, IMO. I know the team wanted to win tonight.
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

soonershok wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 8:54 pm This is how its been the majority of the year. Get runners on base and leave them there.
It looks like we are hoping to walk, being unwilling to swing until we have to. There's something(s)? obviously wrong.
BudaSooner

Post by BudaSooner »

inconnu wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 10:19 pm
soonershok wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 8:54 pm This is how its been the majority of the year. Get runners on base and leave them there.
It looks like we are hoping to walk, being unwilling to swing until we have to. There's something(s)? obviously wrong.
I've been thinking a little bit more about Game 1 of the Bedlam series, and have come to the belated realization that Kenny Gajewski the Poke coach, came up with a brilliant strategy in tonight's game!
It's so simple! The mighty OU hitters can't get into a groove swinging the bat if Kenny tells his pitchers to not give the Sooners anything good to hit! "WALK 'EM!" Sez Kenny, that way the Sooners can't hit any doubles or homers! And it will lull the OU hitters into working the Poke pitchers into walking them - - which it worked! OSU pitchers issued 8 walks, only 3 hits, but the Sooner hitters kept waiting for that REALLY good pitch, and it rarely if ever crossed the plate!
(Never mind trying to apply the above strategy to Lexi Kilfoyl) - she obviously had good control of HER pitches! But Kenny's strategy with starting Aycock and her generosity with walking all of our hitters did seem to throw OU off their rhythm, doncha think?

Wotta ya think? Am I right, or am I right?

(OK, a little tongue-in-cheek, I admit, but maybe there's a kernel of truth, ya think?
oufanforever

Post by oufanforever »

Maxwell walks one batter in the first and she almost scored on a close play at home. She walks a batter and hits a batter in the 3rd, both scores. Deal walks a batter in the 5th, she scores. Good teams take advantage of free bases except OU.

With Aycock not being able to throw a strike consistently, OU should be patient and take their walks instead of trying to force a hit on pitches outside the zone. One thing I wish they would done is swing on the 3-0 pitches that were strikes and good to hit.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

The first Bedlam game is now in the books.
It looks like Kenny G had a good strategy going into the game. Start one of your backup pitchers and don't give them anything to hit. If you walk 'em, fine, but don't give 'em anything to hit. Then....if your lucky....see if you can put together enough hits to somehow capture a lead---any lead, and then bring in your #1 starting pitcher to pick up the game and keep the lead. Hat's off---good call.
While we were working the pitcher taking walks and trying to force them to come up in the zone---they said, "Nah, we're good with the walks". Frustration then leads to easy fly outs.

They had a single, 3 doubles, and 3 HRs last night. We had 2 singles and 1 double. If we can find a bat, then I think we can still win the series. I wouldn't be surprised at a 12-10 kind of game. But we've got to find a bat. It's apparent they've figured out how to hit our pitchers. We've just got to figure out a way to hit theirs.

We did well with errors. We had none to their 3. Didn't seem to matter too much though with only 3 hits all night long and leaving 8 stranded on base.

Kenny G probably only needed one win against the number 2 team in the country to seal the deal to get a top 8 hosting spot in the post season, and he did that last night. Now, he can start a different backup pitcher today and come back to Aycock for relief and save Kilfoyl for game three to win the series.

After unsuccessfully using Deal in relief last night, we are now down to May for game two. May has pitched well against OSU in the past. I hope she can bail us out today to give Max and Deal some "rest". Then all hands on deck for the finale tomorrow. If the weather does interrupt the series, I'm sure games will be ppd until Monday. It's too important a series to just cancel.
aka Crimson47
oufanforever

Post by oufanforever »

I don’t believe for one second OSU and Kenny was fine with all the walks. You can go listen to him post game here.

OSU played well on offense and played poorly pitching and on defense, Kenny’s words. It is just OU played even worse on offense and pitching.
soonershok

Post by soonershok »

BudaSooner wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 12:27 am
inconnu wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 10:19 pm
I've been thinking a little bit more about Game 1 of the Bedlam series, and have come to the belated realization that Kenny Gajewski the Poke coach, came up with a brilliant strategy in tonight's game!
It's so simple! The mighty OU hitters can't get into a groove swinging the bat if Kenny tells his pitchers to not give the Sooners anything good to hit! "WALK 'EM!" Sez Kenny, that way the Sooners can't hit any doubles or homers! And it will lull the OU hitters into working the Poke pitchers into walking them - - which it worked! OSU pitchers issued 8 walks, only 3 hits, but the Sooner hitters kept waiting for that REALLY good pitch, and it rarely if ever crossed the plate!
(Never mind trying to apply the above strategy to Lexi Kilfoyl) - she obviously had good control of HER pitches! But Kenny's strategy with starting Aycock and her generosity with walking all of our hitters did seem to throw OU off their rhythm, doncha think?

Wotta ya think? Am I right, or am I right?

(OK, a little tongue-in-cheek, I admit, but maybe there's a kernel of truth, ya think?

Feels more like we rely on analytics than we do on straight up hitting the ball. Our MO seems like it's all about on-base percentage which is great until you need a hit to drive those base runners in.
The Far Journey

Post by The Far Journey »

Feels more like we rely on analytics than we do on straight up hitting the ball. Our MO seems like it's all about on-base percentage which is great until you need a hit to drive those base runners in.
[/quote]

This.