Friday Night Lights

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
WishBone

Friday Night Lights

Post by WishBone »

Joe C just announced that the OU football game against Temple has been moved from Saturday Aug 31 to Friday night August 30th
Time TBD
( Link to come Later)

First Friday Night Game
in stadium History
Opinions are still "OK" ...Correct?
SwampSooner

Post by SwampSooner »

Sounds like a TV broadcast is in the offing. Hope it isn't PPV.
EMan

Post by EMan »

SwampSooner wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:55 pm Sounds like a TV broadcast is in the offing. Hope it isn't PPV.
From what I read, this was an ESPN decision. They wanted OU's first game as an SEC team in prime time.
I may not always be right, but I'm never wrong!
WishBone

Post by WishBone »

Eman .........I think you are correct
WishBone

Post by WishBone »

soonerindallas

Post by soonerindallas »

SwampSooner wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:55 pm Hope it isn't PPV.
Amen!! I am getting really tired of the streaming games. All the softball games this year are streaming except for maybe two. A real turnoff.
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

I hate PPV…. I was hoping the move to SEC would eliminate that 4th rate PPV stufff…..
StatesEye

Post by StatesEye »

This will be HUGE exposure for the program. Friday evening prime time, and since it will be Week 1, just about every college football fan (including HS recruits) will book at least a portion of this particular Friday evening to drop in on the game. Currently, there are only three other games that might be available for viewers during this time slot.

Elon at Duke, TBA, TBA
TCU at Stanford, TBA, TBA
Lehigh at Army, CBSSN, 5pm Central

With the exception of the possibility mentioned below, this game could garner north of 4 million viewers, perhaps more. Temple vs OU played on Saturday during Week 1 would do surprisingly well to bring in 1.4 million viewers, and total viewership would probably be closer to between 1.0 and 1.2 million.

Look for Fox (via FS1) to place a game involving a Big-10 program into same time slot. Fox will probably want to place Penn St vs WVU at its Big Noon slot. so this leaves UTEP vs Nebraska on FS1 as the only viable competitor to Temple vs OU on ESPN. Even in this scenario, I like the chances for Temple vs OU Friday night viewership to be better than 2.5 million.

Of course, I really have no idea what I'm talking about in these regards. On the other hand, Joe C. certainly understands the benefits of moving this game to Friday prime time.
:eyes: :eyes: :eyes:
OU Chinaman

Post by OU Chinaman »

StatesEye wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:42 am This will be HUGE exposure for the program. Friday evening prime time, and since it will be Week 1, just about every college football fan (including HS recruits) will book at least a portion of this particular Friday evening to drop in on the game. Currently, there are only three other games that might be available for viewers during this time slot.

Elon at Duke, TBA, TBA
TCU at Stanford, TBA, TBA
Lehigh at Army, CBSSN, 5pm Central

With the exception of the possibility mentioned below, this game could garner north of 4 million viewers, perhaps more. Temple vs OU played on Saturday during Week 1 would do surprisingly well to bring in 1.4 million viewers, and total viewership would probably be closer to between 1.0 and 1.2 million.

Look for Fox (via FS1) to place a game involving a Big-10 program into same time slot. Fox will probably want to place Penn St vs WVU at its Big Noon slot. so this leaves UTEP vs Nebraska on FS1 as the only viable competitor to Temple vs OU on ESPN. Even in this scenario, I like the chances for Temple vs OU Friday night viewership to be better than 2.5 million.

Of course, I really have no idea what I'm talking about in these regards. On the other hand, Joe C. certainly understands the benefits of moving this game to Friday prime time.
:eyes: :eyes: :eyes:

...It will be great exposure no doubt but...it could also be a wake-up call for college football and the SEC about the quality of the 2024 edition of the OKLAHOMA SOONER football team.
I'm expecting a dominant performance by Venables defense and a breakout game for JA.
Was sort of hoping to see the SOONERS stay under the radar early on, but little chance of that now if the Temple game plays out like I expect. :cool:

:ou: :ou: :ou: :rice: