Let's see if losing is a motivator to 3x NCs

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
1KCSoonerFan

Post by 1KCSoonerFan »

Bottom post of the previous page:

In Coach's post-game interview with Plank on the radio, Patty was audibly frustrated with the no-show of the offense from the 2nd inning on. She even commented that she was still emotional about it. Coach is not complacent about anything - and she accused the team of being too "oh well" about scoring. "We could have been on the bus heading home by now," was her paraphrased statement. It's the hottest I've heard her this year....no doubt because of a Texas sized hang-over. I don't blame her.

She also praised the defense and pitching. Even in their two losses, the defense and pitching was very good.

Seems like I can recall a couple games this year when the offense disappeared for multiple innings - only to reemerge for a crooked number in a single inning. We got the run rule win, but not until after an uncomfortable and awkward scoring drought. Or, we knock out the starter only to be completely shut out by the relief hurler for consecutive frames. The actual stats may show otherwise - that's only my feeling and perception about it.

Switch goes on. Switch goes off. I scratch my head as to why. I'm sure this happens to many other teams, too.

Texas showed EXACTLY how OU can get beat two out of three games: String together two ho-hum game performances at the plate, and you could lose despite the defense and pitching keeping a lid on everything else. One run scored in EACH of back to back games?! I was more surprised by this than if OU lost 5 to 7 and/or 6 to 8. I would have bet OU could score one run from switching sides of the plate - righties batting lefty, etc.

I know the team is hearing about it. And I really hope the lackluster play is only a motivational issue. I think the recent loses may have me a little too sensitive and focused on otherwise "normal" events in softball games. Maybe Patty is, too?
Brisket

Post by Brisket »

I think if you were to ask or talk with each member of the team, they would tell you they are motivated to go after the 3-peat. However, the "switch on/switch off" nature of the offense throughout this season is the biggest indicator to me that the "focus" is lacking on this team. We have seen it with football throughout the years - they appear to believe that they can just throw their helmets out on the field & b/c they say "OU" on them the other team will roll over & they can sleepwalk to a win.

I had hoped that playing on the road in front of a stadium full of hostile fans, against #4 archrival :horns: & their jack@$$ of a head coach would be enough to really get the ladies firing on all cylinders, but I guess not. As mentioned, it was lacking in last night's game, too. They shut things down after the first inning. I'm not sure if anything will "wake them up." They may be thinking that they'll turn it on in time for the Big 12 tournament or the NCAA tournament, but that is a dangerous game to play...