future pitching

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
anthrosooner

future pitching

Post by anthrosooner »

After this season we lose our top two pitchers and the ones we'll have left haven't that much playing time. I didn't see any pitchers on the latest sigingin class. It looks like patty will have to go to the transfer portal. Does anyone have any leads of what Patty will do to reload our pitching staff?
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

I'm just hoping Canady and Meylan, and the tall blonde from Tennessee decide to portal.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Deal should be #1 next year and Freshman stud Audrey Lowry will be #2. Fall ball will tell if that holds or is reversed. Not sure if Monticelli can grow enough to be a #3 so I'm sure we'll be scouring the portal for one or two pitchers.
I hope that Monti and SJ can grow into closers by next year. Middle relief would be good to if we can get a slam the door closer out of the portal.

Edit:

We probably won't stack the pitching staff too deep---prob go afte a Sr transfer - that sort of thing....We have a HUGE Awesome Pitching staff coming in the '25 class for the '26 season.

I would be stunned if Canady entered the portal-Stanford is just way too good a school to NOT get a degree from. I might see it is she has grade issues or if she's thinking twice about the cross country commute to all of the conference games in the ACC in '25. Last I heard the agreement to let Standford and Cal in the ACC was they have to fly east for all conference games. None on the West Coast. But other than those two things, don't see her portaling.
Meylan and Pickins would be great gets....just don't see them leaving their current spots.
aka Crimson47
TN Sooner

Post by TN Sooner »

I noticed Canady got some AB’s (or at least 1) this weekend - she hit a homer. Harder for a Pitcher to get AB’s at OU (as Jordy found out) than at most other places. Unless you’re really good hitting pitcher, Patty is not giving you many AB’s when Ella Parker is available to DH.
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

We will probably be the last to know who the portal may make available this summer.

Everything about the 2025 season will be a new experience for the team and the fans. For the first time since 2016, (2000 is excluded due to Covid.) that the Sooners have to fill as many as 6 positions. The new will include the portal. We may be looking for long term pieces instead of short term pieces.

We will have 6 new starters and at least 2 or 3 pitchers to replace. That is a big bill to pay to someone.

Let's not speculate too much and just let it play out. Things always seem to work out well for the Sooners.
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

TropicalSooner wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:31 pm Deal should be #1 next year and Freshman stud Audrey Lowry will be #2. Fall ball will tell if that holds or is reversed. Not sure if Monticelli can grow enough to be a #3 so I'm sure we'll be scouring the portal for one or two pitchers.
I hope that Monti and SJ can grow into closers by next year. Middle relief would be good to if we can get a slam the door closer out of the portal.

Edit:

We probably won't stack the pitching staff too deep---prob go afte a Sr transfer - that sort of thing....We have a HUGE Awesome Pitching staff coming in the '25 class for the '26 season.

I would be stunned if Canady entered the portal-Stanford is just way too good a school to NOT get a degree from. I might see it is she has grade issues or if she's thinking twice about the cross country commute to all of the conference games in the ACC in '25. Last I heard the agreement to let Standford and Cal in the ACC was they have to fly east for all conference games. None on the West Coast. But other than those two things, don't see her portaling.
Meylan and Pickins would be great gets....just don't see them leaving their current spots.
Pickins won't be easy...

Sorry. I couldn't resist.

I would bet that "Easy" is or has been a nicname for her.
1KCSoonerFan

Post by 1KCSoonerFan »

Her parents missed a golden opportunity when the hospital clerk asked, "And what is the name of this little power-pitching bundle of joy?"

Needs a brother named, Slim.
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

That was her (much) older brother, and he was one of the greatest character actors of all time!
OU_Tom

Post by OU_Tom »

I think some of you might be a bit delusional about next season (nothing personal of course). I think the portal won't have much talent but Patty will grab the grab the best talent available. We will be in SEC so we will have a very competitive schedule. We will probably lose 15-25 games next year; which is what most very good teams typically lose. Then in 2026; when all the great young talent arrives, OU will go on another run for 3 or 4 years. We are going to see some great softball down the road; just not next year.
::rice2:: :dude:
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

Lose 15-25!!! HOLY COW!!!
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

OU_Tom wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:07 pm I think some of you might be a bit delusional about next season (nothing personal of course). I think the portal won't have much talent but Patty will grab the grab the best talent available. We will be in SEC so we will have a very competitive schedule. We will probably lose 15-25 games next year; which is what most very good teams typically lose. Then in 2026; when all the great young talent arrives, OU will go on another run for 3 or 4 years. We are going to see some great softball down the road; just not next year.
While I firmly believe that it is unlikely that the Sooners in 2025 will have a season where they lose less than 5 games, I would not believe that they will lose many many more than 12-15 games. The big difference next season will be that many more games will be one to three run games.

The Sooners will not be the team that they have been since 2021 next year though. There is not going to be "that much talent" in the portal. OU will have strong players at every position in 2025 but probably 6 of the positions will be filled by players with less than 100 at bats in their career. That is much different than 6 positions being filled with players who have had a .400 BA for most, if not all, of their career and have started 200 games in their career.

The Sooners will be very young entering the SEC in 2025. But perhaps only 2 or 3 teams in the SEC will have the talent that OU has on their roster. But that young talent will be unproven. Only time and experience will allow them to be "proven".
TN Sooner

Post by TN Sooner »

I believe that the 2025 Sooners will pale a bit in comparison to what we have enjoyed watching the past 4 years. However, I think we will remain a top 10 team and will remain a favorite to host regional and super regional match ups. I could see us slip to 5-10 losses, especially as we adjust to the sec.

We have Cyd, Ella and Kasidi as sure fire starters. We also have Nellie coming off injury and she was a superstar recruit. Maya intrigues me, even as her only contribution in 2024 has been running. We also have an outstanding group of players joining us this fall. Maybe a bit less exciting than the 2026 group, but still a top class. And I wouldn’t be a bit surprised for Patty to land a couple of talented players in the portal. I know the portal “inventory” might be a bit down, but there might be some folks out there looking at empty positions at OU and thinking “I believe I can win a title there”.

My confidence drops a good bit if neither Nellie or Maya pan out and if none of the new kids this summer can beat out the likes of Lilio, Hannah and Avery. Love all three of them, but none have proven themselves to be daily participants in the OU batting order. Give me Hannah from 2023 Fall Ball, and I’ll change my mind!
TN Sooner

Post by TN Sooner »

OUBeliever56A wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:15 am.

The Sooners will be very young entering the SEC in 2025. But perhaps only 2 or 3 teams in the SEC will have the talent that OU has on their roster. But that young talent will be unproven. Only time and experience will allow them to be "proven".
I’m curious who you see as more talented than the projected roster for the Sooners? I know you study the recruiting rankings far more that I do and respect your ability to prognosticate.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

TN Sooner wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:30 am
OUBeliever56A wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:15 am.

I’m curious who you see as more talented than the projected roster for the Sooners? I know you study the recruiting rankings far more that I do and respect your ability to prognosticate.

Obviously not speaking for Believer, but replying to your question and in tossing my 2 cents worth....I think one of the "improving" teams would be Florida. They do have a real offense, but their two new freshmen pitchers, Rothrock and Brown, are studs and they will have a year's worth of SEC experience under their belts. I think Fla will be a tough out next year. They are hosting LSU this weekend, so we'll find out how well they are coming along. Speaking of LSU, that's another school that will be improving. Their current ace pitcher Berzon will be a junior, and they'll have a hot freshman, Jayden Heavener, who was near #1 on everybody's recruiting list joining up with them next year. The Tigers will have to replace their Senior leader, SS Taylor Pleasants (their version of Grace Lyons) but if they get some more bats, they'll have the pitchers to give people a tough game.
aka Crimson47
1KCSoonerFan

Post by 1KCSoonerFan »

Next year is going to be a challenge - and that is exactly why I am looking forward to it! I gotta admit that I am feeling relief that the Expectation Fever might break for me as a fan.....for a little while at least.

A huge amount of the pressure is off for 2025. A new group of stars are rising above the horizon. Coaches will be putting in extra effort and attention. The Team: Young, Hungry, and Striving to make their own mark and build their own legacy. That could make for some surprising results.

Thrilling stuff to me as a fan. I can't wait to see what they can do! Can't wait to meet the new crew of record-breakers, trophy-takers, and champion-makers.

Next year's schedule is not out yet. When it does come out, my anticipation is going to be focused on how well this very young and inexperienced team
competes against the powerhouses. Oh, along with descriptors like, young and inexperienced, I should have added, mega-talented and best-of-the-best in the nation.

It will/would be a new experience to look down that 2025 schedule, with Sharpie in hand, and expect to circle 15 or more losses. Maybe so, however, I'm gonna leave the Sharpie in the drawer for now.

Patty may be taking a chip out of her drawer for next year, and placing it squarely on the team's shoulder. A Sharpie is just not as useful as a chip sometimes.