Game 2 in Lawrence: Sooners Win 17-0-Best offense/pitching in 24

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
OUBeliever56A

Game 2 in Lawrence: Sooners Win 17-0-Best offense/pitching in 24

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Friday's game was windy with the wind blowing out to LF at 20+ MPH. It was not a good sign for the Kansas pitchers. The Oklahoma Sooners brought out their bats today in fine fashion and collected 15 hits in 29 ABs including 4 HRs. The Sooners were facing a pitcher in Katie Brooks that had not given up a HR in 74 innings this year. Four (4) pitchers into the game, Jayda Coleman had hit a solo HR as the Sooner leadoff hitter to erase that 0 on Brooks' stat sheet. The Sooner dominance had begun over Kansas on Friday. Brooks ended up lasting to pitch to 11 batters. She gave up 5 hits, 6 runs, 5 earned with 3 walks and 0 Ks. She gave up the 1 HR to Coleman. In one game, Of those 11 batters, nine reached base. Brooks' ERA went from 1.89 to 2.33. Brooks will want to forget this one.

Kansas used 3 other pitchers in the remaining 4 innings. They gave up 10 hits, 11 runs, 9 earned runs, 10 walks and 3 Ks. And 3 HRs. The Kansas pitching staff had a long day. they threw 182 pitches in the game.

In the end, the Sooners won the game 17-0 in 5 innings.

Here is how effective the Sooners were yesterday by batting order:

Coleman - 7 RS/RBIs - reached base 5 times -2 HRs
Brito - 5 RS/RBIs - reached base 4 times - HR
Jennings - 6 RS/RBIs - reached base 4 times - HR
Pickering/Coor - 4 RS/RBIs - reached base 3 times
Boone/Lilio - 4 RS/RBIs - reached base 5 times
Torres - 1 RS/RBIs - reached base 3 times
Parker/Bland - 2 RS/RBIs - reached base 2 times
Sanders/Hodge - 2 RS/RBIs - reached base 1 time
Ludlam/Hansen - 3 RS/RBIs - reached base 3 times

The Sooners scored the most runs of the year in the game as they scored 17 in 5 innings. The Sooners batted very well as they had 15 hits and 13 walks in the game.

In the circle, the Sooners sent Nicole May out to start. She was nearly perfect. In her 3.1 innings, she allowed a single between SS / 3B and that was all. She retired 10 of 11 batters she faced with 1 K. She kept the ball low and only allowed 3 fly balls, all to towards left field I think. There was one 'different play' though. Kansas hit a little popup to the right side with a runner on 1B. The ball was effected greatly by the wind as Torres over ran the ball towards the line. she recovered nicely though as the ball bounced perfectly on the turf in short RF as she caught the hop and threw to 2B for the force out. Quick thoughts by Torres for an out. May records 5 other ground ball outs in the game. May threw only 32 pitches.

SJ Geurin pitched the rest of the 4th and the first out of the 5th as she allowed a single and retired 3 out of 4 hitters with 2 Ks and a popup to 1B. Monticelli relieved Geurin and struck out the final two Kansas hitters in 7 pitches.

The Sooners have now had 19 run-rule wins and 16 shutouts this season while accumulating a 33-1 record.

One more game on Saturday against Kansas. I think Kansas will send Hamilton back to the circle to start with Brooks ready in relief when it is needed. (Do you like that confidence in the Sooner bats?) I think the Sooner bats are on full power recently and will counter the adjustments that Hamilton made in the last four innings on Thursday. The wind wil be blowing in today and it will be a bit cooler today. I think Oklahoma will send Kierston Deal to the circle to start. If needed, Karlie Keeney will be warm and ready to pitch. I think another shutout might be in the picture today by the Sooners. The bats could provide a second consecutive run-rule win also.

One question though, I did not see Coach JT Gasso at the game yesterday. Coach Fale was in the dugout coaching the hitters with Coach Foster out at 1B. Does anyone know why?

Here is the Sooner staff writers article about the win on Friday.

https://soonersports.com/news/2024/3/29 ... -of-kansas

Boomer Sooner!
TN Sooner

Post by TN Sooner »

Interesting point on JT - Chris Plank said nothing about it - he did tell us Fale wasn’t at 1B, but didn’t say why. He was either clueless or being deceptive.

In the pre-game interview with Patty, you could tell she is losing her voice - I suspect the entire team is battling a spring cold?