Projected O'Line

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
WishBone

Projected O'Line

Post by WishBone »

Opinions are still "OK" ...Correct?
ColleyvilleSooner

Post by ColleyvilleSooner »

I frankly have no idea who will start or be in the regular rotation. Bates is a surprise on this chart. I assumed Troy Everett will start. He has put on some weight which is a good thing. Jake Taylor or Spencer Brown at RT is a good prediction. Jacob Sexton at LT is the most predictable. I hope he has a break out year. It is such a key position and we really need him to play well. I am curious about his backup Logan Howland who has gained about 20 pounds and is now playing size. He hasn't played any but is a former TE and I love OL who previously played TE or DL. They seem to be more athletic and most OL.

There are a number of possibilities at guard. Ozaeta is hyped and quite talented, so I hope he breaks out this season. Febechi is an unknown quantity. I have heard both good and bad about him. I am hoping Eugene Brooks turns out to be another Cayden Green and can start or at least be a regular as a true freshman. I suspect G. Hatchett will start. He was in the regular rotation on the best OL in the country at Washington and is more athletic than many of our other OL.
captnop

Post by captnop »

Bedenbaugh will continue to plug play, tweak, shift .. rinse and repeat multiple times before the first game ... as we know it continues all season ... Then there's the injuries that happen on top of the normal process. Thats a very very very early look .. I'm sure it will change a bunch..
WishBone

Post by WishBone »

I myself am hopeful in getting to see Hatchett and Brooks play this year early on?
Opinions are still "OK" ...Correct?
Rough Rider

Post by Rough Rider »

Has Bedenbaugh ever had his lineup set before 3 games? I’m not sure but it seems like we’re 3-5 games into the season before all is set. It’s my one complaint with coach B. Otherwise, I think he’s a great coach.

I mean, I get that some players practice different than they play but, damn, every player?
Poster formerly known as tbmguy
OU Chinaman

Post by OU Chinaman »

Rough Rider wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:26 pm Has Bedenbaugh ever had his lineup set before 3 games? I’m not sure but it seems like we’re 3-5 games into the season before all is set. It’s my one complaint with coach B. Otherwise, I think he’s a great coach.

I mean, I get that some players practice different than they play but, damn, every player?
...not sure it's a bad thing it takes Bedenbaugh a game or 4 to set his starters.
Might need a little more urgency this first season in the mighty SEC, but I'm confident he'll get it done and OU's O-line will be one of the conferences best by season's end.
There are 15 O-linemen on the roster at last count, so I think he'll find 5 or 6 that he can develop.
The O-line is almost always my biggest concern b4 a season begins.
You can have a "good team" with an average O-line, but you can't have a "great team" without a "great offensive line."
I believe in Coach B! :cool:

:ou: :ou: :ou: :rice:
Brisket

Post by Brisket »

Per Ikard & Lehman's latest podcast, the starting OL has been as follows so far this spring:

LT: Tarquin
LG: Ozaeta
C: Bates
RG: Nwaiwu
RT: Taylor

Based on their comments, OU is in pretty serious trouble if this is the starting OL for game 1. Some additional comments:
  • Ozaeta & Nwaiwu look great at the guard spots.
  • Tarquin is a guy who is fine for an emergency start, but not big enough to be your 1st string tackle. Sexton doesn't look fluid. Looks like he's working back or through some kind of injury.
  • Everett's injury at center is concerning b/c they said you've got to have a capable backup center. Apparently, Bates ain't it.
  • No comments on Taylor or the MSU transfer Brown at RT.
ColleyvilleSooner

Brisket wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:02 am Per Ikard & Lehman's latest podcast, the starting OL has been as follows so far this spring:

LT: Tarquin
LG: Ozaeta
C: Bates
RG: Nwaiwu
RT: Taylor

Based on their comments, OU is in pretty serious trouble if this is the starting OL for game 1. Some additional comments:
  • Ozaeta & Nwaiwu look great at the guard spots.
  • Tarquin is a guy who is fine for an emergency start, but not big enough to be your 1st string tackle. Sexton doesn't look fluid. Looks like he's working back or through some kind of injury.
  • Everett's injury at center is concerning b/c they said you've got to have a capable backup center. Apparently, Bates ain't it.
  • No comments on Taylor or the MSU transfer Brown at RT.
Is there any information about the nature of Everett's injury? Nwaiwu played center in HS. Could he slide over to center if needed since we have some depth at guard? Maybe the younger Hatchett will transfer to OU in the next portal period.

The tackle situation sounds bad. Even when healthy Sexton has yet to demonstrate he is up to the task at the key LT position, and now he can't even hold on to his starting position. Tarquin is more of a reserve type player and presumably Logan Howland isn't ready. Not good.
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

Seem like this is the preseason situation most years…. I just dont buy the “sky is falling narrative “

IMO The years we had a less than great Oline were times when there was a little complacency …the starters felt comfortable for various reasons……

I think Bedenbaugh gets the most out of the Oline when no one is golden and they all know they have to prove themselves and stupid penalties and missed assignments get them onto the bench…… :ou: :ou: :ou: :BV: :BV:
Bixby_Sooner

Post by Bixby_Sooner »

A better title would have been The Way Too Early Projected OL. There is no way that any projection made now carries any weight. Maybe a slow news day?

There are still half the spring practices left, followed by the arrival of the rest of the 24K class, followed by the fall camp. There will be a lot of changes between now and the first game in the SEC and it won't just be on the OL.
A commitment is NOT a reservation - Brent Venables 3/21/22
RussC

Post by RussC »

A chance to fret, for those looking for it
#Mentally In Portal
ColleyvilleSooner

Troy Everett will have knee surgery and be out until the beginning of next season. That leaves no capable centers at the moment. There are still rumblings about Landen Hatchett transferring to OU from Washington during this upcoming portal period. If there is someone we desperately need, it is Landen Hatchett.

What was Raym thinking? He will be a late draft choice at best, or go undrafted.
RussC

Post by RussC »

I think the ncaa rule that prevents most players from returning to college football after going through a NFL draft is outmoded, like the ncaa itself
#Mentally In Portal
captnop

Post by captnop »

RussC wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:26 am I think the ncaa rule that prevents most players from returning to college football after going through a NFL draft is outmoded, like the ncaa itself
Agreed .. if you aren't drafted and still have eligibility ... why can't they come back ?? the pro vs amateur this is basically bs with NIL. Time for College football to appoint a commish and the major conferences ( SEC AND B1G) work out contracts and caps and tell the NCAA to go F its self.
ColleyvilleSooner

captnop wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:36 pm
RussC wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:26 am I think the ncaa rule that prevents most players from returning to college football after going through a NFL draft is outmoded, like the ncaa itself
Agreed .. if you aren't drafted and still have eligibility ... why can't they come back ?? the pro vs amateur this is basically bs with NIL. Time for College football to appoint a commish and the major conferences ( SEC AND B1G) work out contracts and caps and tell the NCAA to go F its self.
A new organization needs to head up the big money college sports. The NCAA is way out of its league in trying to govern large revenue generating sports like football and basketball. It has always been headed by very conservative and stodgy small time businessmen types, the blue blazer and tassel loafer rotary club crowd. The NIL Supreme Court ruling was coming and attorneys knew it for years but the NCAA was completely caught off guard and is currently helpless. And if we had an organization headed by imaginative and big time CEO types, we would have had a CFB playoff 50 years ago.