Sooner Softball: Sunday win 11-1 plus thoughts and hopes to come

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
OUBeliever56A

Sooner Softball: Sunday win 11-1 plus thoughts and hopes to come

Post by OUBeliever56A »

The Oklahoma Sooners Softball team playing on Sunday in the coldest weather of the weekend to start the game, posted a 11-1 win over Tech to complete the 3-game sweep and to outscore the Red Raiders in the 3-game series 40-3. Win might not have looked as easy as the 11-1 score indicates though. Oklahoma scored 2 runs in the first, with Texas Tech scoring one in the 3rd to only trail at that point 2-1. In the 5th, Oklahoma scored 2 more to make it 4-1 for some breathing room. The Sooners added one more run in the 6th to make 5-1. The 6 runs in the 7th made the score look better for the 11-1 win.

Let's talk about Nicole May and her start first. May pitched 6.0 innings allowing 7 hits (all singles), 1 run earned, 1 walk, 2 HBPs and 6 Ks. She also got the win. May allowed base runners in every inning. But did she or should she have done so? That is the question i have.
  • In the 1st inning, with 2-outs, May walked a batter (with 10 HRs) with two outs. She got the next hitter on a decent play as she fielded a ground ball. Good job no harm done.
  • In the 2nd inning, with 1 out, the batter hit a looping liner to the left of Torres and it was diving away from her. The ball ticked off the end of the her glove and no play was made in time to get the out at first. The play was ruled a hit. It was probably an error. May struck out the next hitter and then got a little grounder that Brito made a good play on for the 3rd out. Again, no harm done but that May was credited with giving up a single.
  • In the 3rd inning, with one out, May hit the leadoff hitter to put a runner on base with a pinch runner taking her place. The next hitter hit a ball between Sanders and Torres. It looked Sanders decided that she would not reach or dive to make the play on a ground ball probably to make sure she could get back to the bag. Torres got to the ball and tossed to Sanders who was either not on the bag or the throw was late. Again, it was ruled a single. Maybe the play required Sanders to play the ball, Maybe if Sanders went directly to the bag, it was an out. The next batter hit a ground ball to Brito's left that simply just rolled under Brito's glove as she did not get down on the ball. That loaded the bases. Again it was ruled a single. The next batter hit a hard ground ball back at May, she got a glove on it (that she usually catches) and then past the circle where Jennings fumbled the ball and could not make a play at second for the force. That scored a run but then Jennings threw to Ludlam to get a runner at home for the 2nd out. Again, it was ruled a single. The next hitter was out on a ground ball to 2nd Base. The inning could have been much different if one or two balls could have been played differently. It was a tough inning to get through with not much help from the defense.
  • In the 4th inning, with one out, May gave up a solid ground ball single in the 5/6 hole. The next hitter hit a topper towards Hodge at 2B. After contact on the play between Hodge and the runner from first base, interference was called for an out. I though the call was called properly. The next hitter hit a line drive to the left of May that ticked off her glove and bounced between Torres and Sanders for a ball ruled a single with the runner on first moving to second base. May makes that play 98 times out of 100. May got the final out with a swinging strike out. Again a hit was ruled that might have been an error.
  • In the 5th inning, with one out, May hit the batter. May got the next two hitters.
  • In the 6th inning, with two outs, May gave up her second clear single on a liner to RC. Coleman tried to catch the bounce on a hop but the ball ticked off her glove and before she could retrieve it, the batter slid into 2nd for a single with an error to reach second base. This was Coleman's 3rd error of her career after 2 as a freshman.
So, May probably should have been credited with 3 or 4 singles, a walk and 2 HB instead of 7 singles and the rest. Yes, that means that the Sooners would have had 4 or 5 errors as a result. Yep, and that is more of a problem than anything wrong with May. May got ground ball after ground ball with not many outs. Brito did make a couple good plays but that was about it.

Karlie Keeney pitched the bottom of the 7th with Oklahoma's only 1, 2, 3 inning with two looking strikeouts.

On offense, the Sooners scored in 4 innings of the 7. The Sooners were 12 of 33 at the plate with 8 walks and 3 Ks. They added 3 HRs on two by Brito and 1 by Jennings. OU had 3 stolen bases plus one caught stealing.

In the first inning, two singles scored runners from scoring position by Parker and Sanders. Parker's stolen base and move to 3B on an error on the throw, was key to the 2nd run. In the 5th inning, after Parker reached base on an error by at second base with Parker reaching second base. Brito followed with a big 2-run HR to LC to make the score 4-1. In the 6th, after a leadoff single by Hodge, Boone singled up the middle to plate Hodge to make it 5-1. In the top of the 7th, Brito leadoff with a solo HR to LC. Boone added a 2 RBI single before Jennings hit a 3-run HR on a big HR to CF to plate the 4th, 5th and 6th runs of the inning.

Jennings, Brito and Boone each had 3 RBIs on the day. Parker and Sanders had the other two RBIs. Brito had 3 hits, Hodge and Boone had 2 hits.

I will note that perhaps two Sooner fly balls that were hit very well were caught by outfielders against the wall on the warning track. The wind was a factor from the east, northeast yesterday. I feel Coleman and Pickering could have had hit HRs on a normal day on Sunday.

Another point about the day. Ludlam catching with Hansen walking a bit better around the dugout after Friday's exit from the lineup, got herself in trouble in the top of the 2nd inning. After a walk and moving to 2B on a ground ball, Ludlam got too far off of 2B on a little liner to LF by Coleman. When the ball was caught, Ludlam had to hustle back to 2B and dive into the bag to be safe. When she did, she hurt either her ring finger or the pinky on her throwing hand. After some discussion she stayed in the game. After the inning there was lots going on the dugout. Hansen took out her gear. Finally, Ludlam came out along with Torres, to play the inning. Ludlam had her two fingers (ring and pinky) taped together. She threw the ball to 2B and the game resumed. She was fine catching. Then, in the 4th Ludlam flied out to RF. I guessed she was okay at that point. In the sixth, Lilio hit for Ludlam which made sence. When the Oklahoma 7th inning got extended, and Ludlam's at bat came up, Lilio was out to hit for Ludlam. That doesn't work as Ludlam re-entered the game after Lilio hit for her. So eventually, after some scurrying in the dugout, Ludlam came out to hit and tried to hit with her hurt hand (right) over the left hand. Somehow the Tech pitcher walked her. Ludlam caught the bottom of the 7th.

I expect Ludlam to be okay by Wednesday when the Sooners play UT-Arlington at Love's Field. But we need to wait to see. We are also waiting to hear something about Kinzie Hansen and her right leg before we host Baylor next weekend. Both I hope come out with good outcomes.

The Sooners are 27-1 and 6-0 in conference play.

Boomer Sooner!
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Here is the Sooner staff writers article about the 11-1 win over the Red Raiders on Sunday.

https://soonersports.com/news/2024/3/17 ... texas-tech

Boomer Sooner!
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Tiare Jennings had a very good series this weekend. Here is her stats.

Jennings was 6 for 10, with 2 doubles and 3 HRs and did have those 12 RBIs with 4 RS.

- With her 6 hits, she now has 273 in her career and moved into 7th place. She passed D Martinez ('11-'14) who had 268 and is now in 8th. Christy Ring ('99-02) has 276 in 6th place.

- With her 4 runs scored, she now has 241 and is in 3rd Place behind Chamberlain and Alo. Chamberlain has 272.

- With her 3 HRs she now has 83. Again she is in 3rd Place behind Chamberlain and Alo. Chamberlain has 95.

- With her 2 doubles against Texas Tech and the one she had against Tarleton State which I forgot, she now has 58 doubles and moved into a tie for 1st Place with Sydney Romero ('16-'19). Jennings passed Lisa Carey ('98-'01) who had 56. [Edited}

- With her 12 RBIs, she now has 282 RBIs and trails only Alo who has 327 RBIs.

[Edit: based upon where you look, NCAA Stats or the Profile Career stats on OU's webpage, there is a 1 double difference for Jennings. I use the lower value which is 49 for her first three years '21 - '23. But I did forget a double that Jennings had against Tarleton State on Tuesday. So, Jennings now has 58 and would be tied with Romero for the Career lead in Sooner Doubles. If the one more is right, Jennings would be the leader with 59. There in no doubt that Jennings will end up the leader however. I have bumped up the doubles count by one in the text above.]

Just nothing to say but "WOW!".

Boomer Sooner!
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

After a review of the career doubles by Tiare Jennings, it is clear to me that the correct total for Tiare Jennings' career doubles is now 59. I do spend a great deal of energy and time to track things. But, as you all know, I am far from perfect in my typing and sometimes in the postings. But it is not without a great deal of effort. I used a reference that was not correct and now I understand that. Thanks to fellow posters that helped me figure this out.

Jennings has 59 career doubles and is in first place in the career doubles for Oklahoma. Sydney Romero is in 2nd place with 58 and Lisa Carey in in 3rd with 56.
The Far Journey

Post by The Far Journey »

OUBeliever56A wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:59 am After a review of the career doubles by Tiare Jennings, it is clear to me that the correct total for Tiare Jennings' career doubles is now 59. I do spend a great deal of energy and time to track things. But, as you all know, I am far from perfect in my typing and sometimes in the postings. But it is not without a great deal of effort. I used a reference that was not correct and now I understand that. Thanks to fellow posters that helped me figure this out.

Jennings has 59 career doubles and is in first place in the career doubles for Oklahoma. Sydney Romero is in 2nd place with 58 and Lisa Carey in in 3rd with 56.
AIs are perfect. We humans are not. Give me human imperfection with effort, passion, and emotion over stale, dull perfection any day.
AustinTXSooner

Post by AustinTXSooner »

The Far Journey wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:48 am AIs are perfect. We humans are not. Give me human imperfection with effort, passion, and emotion over stale, dull perfection any day.
AIs are not perfect. They only know what they are taught. Even then they make more mistakes than humans do right now. My company recently had an AI competition where we tried to get OpenAI to write a computer program to solve a mathematical problem. Yeah, my job is still secure for quite a few more years.