Limp noodles on Sunday

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
inconnu

Limp noodles on Sunday

Post by inconnu »

Here we are moving into the bottom of the 3rd inning vs txtech, and have a 2-0 lead. We've had maybe 4 long drives, but they have all come up short, and caught by the tech outfielders. May pitching well, but bats are a bit anemic so far.
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

The tacos get a run in the bottom of the 3rd, so we lead 2-1. Top of 4th, Torres gets a weak single. Ludlam flies out. One out. Hodge flies out, but Torres on 3rd base. Jayda at bat with 2 outs. She flies out. To the bottom of 4th with a 2-1 lead.
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

May still pitching. Hodge at 2nd base, and catches line drive for out #1. Then Brito goofs a grounder for 1 on base now. It's called a hit. Hodge catches a grounder, and collides with runner. Called out but there's a review. She IS called out. So, now there are 2 outs. Another runner on base. Then May gets a K to end the threat. On to top of 5th, and Tiare pops out for out #1.
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

Top of 5th with one out. OU at bat. Parker gets on with an error, and Brito up, hits a "Brito Bomb". now it's 4-1 OU. Sanders pops up, for out #2. Pickering at bat. She strikes out. Bottom of 5th comiing up.
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

May still pitching. Gets a K , so one out. Next batter is HBP. Next batter flies out. 2 outs now. Grounder for out. On to the 6th inning, and OU leads 4-1.
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

Hodge at bat to start the 6th. Hodge gets a bloop single! Lillio at bat. She grounds out, and Hodge to 2nd base. Boone is up. BASE HIT & HODGE SCORES! 5-1 OU Boone on and one out. Boone steals 2nd base. Jayda at bat. She walks. OU runners on 2nd and 1st. One out. Tiare up hits grounder for force out at 2nd. Runners first and 3rd, 2outs. Parker at bat. She Ks. On to bottom of 6th, now.
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

May still pitching, and gets grounder to her for out #1. Gets a K. 2 out, now. Coleman gets a rare error, and runner on 2nd base. Liner to Brito for out #3. To top of 7th inning. Weather cold and windy today.
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

7th inning, Sooners up to bat: Brito gets ANOTHER BRITO BOMB! 6-1 now There's real breathing room. (Way to go, Alyssa!) Tech fans acting stupid!(what's new, right?) Woops, I missed some action. Hodge gets infield single. 2 outs now. Ludlam is batting. She walks. Boone is up with 2 outs. She hits a single and we score 2 more runs. It's now 8-1. We are going to REALLY miss Boone next year! Jayda batting. She walks. Tiare up. She gets a 3 RUN HOMER! Tacos filing out of the stands. Now 11-1 OU. Brito batting & gets a single. A 3-hit day for Alyssa.(with 2 Brito Bombs)Sanders pops up to end top of 7th.
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

Bottom of 7th. Keeney pitching. First batter pops out. Then a K! 2-2 count. backwards K. Series done. post-game show next(on radio)
1KCSoonerFan

Post by 1KCSoonerFan »

I made a couple notes during this game:

1.) May did a decent job and I hope she exercised some first inning demons. Thankfully, she did not give up any long shots when the game suddenly got close.

2.) Offense: We go into these lulls - dead zones - at times. Feels like we have no energy at the plate - no juice. Not sure why. Is the opposing pitching just dominant at that given moment? We make up for it often enough with crooked number innings - yet, the game can stay close for two or more innings.

3.) Defense: We are quite good in general, and also have these moments when it seems like our knees get weak and we make errors, bobbles, etc. It seems to come in a wave of mishaps all at once, one after another.

4.) Anything can happen on any given Sunday. I felt good it seemed that even though OU went into early cruise control and let T-Tech back in the game, they downshifted into another gear and re-focused.

5.) OU has many tools for winning. Many games, we can win with only one or two of them. The offense goes beast mode. The pitching shuts down everything. The defense is on point. When all three are in play, it is "Smothering," as Coach says.

On the whole, no complaints about winning big today - but there were a couple of moments that felt too familiar - when the game seemed to teeter on the edge of getting more interesting than I wanted. Maybe I am hyperbolic. That's how I felt about today's game.

It may be that this is just how this team plays and wins this year. We are good enough to pull through the inconsistent moments.

Go Sooners!
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

I was thinking that May might have exorcised those 1st inning demons too until around the 3rd inning and then I thought maybe she just moved them to a different inning....lol....
But yeah, overall, I thought May did really well today. 6 K's to only 1 walk. Proud of her for keeping everything in the yard, too.
aka Crimson47
TN Sooner

Post by TN Sooner »

I get what you’re saying about defense - but there were no OU errors when TT was threatening to score a bunch (3rd, I think) - TT just had several soft hits just off the tip of our gloves or just between 2 infielders.

By contrast in the first 5-6 innings we had several hard hit balls that found gloves. Just the way diamond sports work sometimes.