Sounds Like "Super Conferences may be Coming Soon!"

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
WishBone

Sounds Like "Super Conferences may be Coming Soon!"

Post by WishBone »

Radio host Greg Swaim, who correctly called Washington and Oregon joining the Big Ten, has a new prediction: FSU, Clemson, OK State, K-State, and Texas Tech joining the SEC, and Kansas, Notre Dame, UNC, and Virginia joining the B1G.

"If the so-called 'Super Conferences' begin poaching the Big12 and ACC, it's (Kansas football) to the B1G along with Notre Dame, UNC, and UVA, while FSU, Clemson, OK State, K-State, and Texas Tech to the SEC," Swaim wrote. "There will be other B12 and ACC school poaches as well, but at this time please, no wagering!"

The SEC would have an uneven number of teams in this scenario, but the idea of Vanderbilt football becoming an independent -- with the "It Just Means More" conference paying the Commodores to do so -- is on the table, per Swaim. Another possibility raised was Texas A&M leaving the SEC and joining the Big Ten since Texas is now the Lone Star State's marquee brand in the conference.

If SEC and Big Ten poach schools from ACC, Memphis, Tulane, Wazzu, Oregon State, UConn, and USF can replace them
Per PressBox DC's Jim Williams, Memphis, Tulane, Wazzu, Oregon State, UConn, and USF can all join the ACC if FSU, Clemson, UNC, and Louisville leave it. Florida State is battling the ACC in court to break free, and if the Seminoles' side of the case wins, it's a certainty the three other championship-winning brands will follow.

ACC losing those brands would make them a clear "other two" conference in an ever-changing college football landscape that may imminently see a "Power Two" setup that prioritizes its two cash-cows, the SEC and Big Ten.

Many are expecting the "Power Two" to form their own College Football Playoff, leaving the NCAA behind altogether.

By 2026? That could be a distinct possibility.
Opinions are still "OK" ...Correct?
OU Chinaman

Post by OU Chinaman »

...I kind of think that's where college football is headed.
I'm all for kicking the NCAA to the curb and the "Power Two" will have the wheelbase needed to do it. :cool:

:ou: :ou: :ou: :rice:
captnop

Post by captnop »

WishBone wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:03 pm Radio host Greg Swaim, who correctly called Washington and Oregon joining the Big Ten, has a new prediction: FSU, Clemson, OK State, K-State, and Texas Tech joining the SEC, and Kansas, Notre Dame, UNC, and Virginia joining the B1G.

"If the so-called 'Super Conferences' begin poaching the Big12 and ACC, it's (Kansas football) to the B1G along with Notre Dame, UNC, and UVA, while FSU, Clemson, OK State, K-State, and Texas Tech to the SEC," Swaim wrote. "There will be other B12 and ACC school poaches as well, but at this time please, no wagering!"

The SEC would have an uneven number of teams in this scenario, but the idea of Vanderbilt football becoming an independent -- with the "It Just Means More" conference paying the Commodores to do so -- is on the table, per Swaim. Another possibility raised was Texas A&M leaving the SEC and joining the Big Ten since Texas is now the Lone Star State's marquee brand in the conference.

If SEC and Big Ten poach schools from ACC, Memphis, Tulane, Wazzu, Oregon State, UConn, and USF can replace them
Per PressBox DC's Jim Williams, Memphis, Tulane, Wazzu, Oregon State, UConn, and USF can all join the ACC if FSU, Clemson, UNC, and Louisville leave it. Florida State is battling the ACC in court to break free, and if the Seminoles' side of the case wins, it's a certainty the three other championship-winning brands will follow.

ACC losing those brands would make them a clear "other two" conference in an ever-changing college football landscape that may imminently see a "Power Two" setup that prioritizes its two cash-cows, the SEC and Big Ten.

Many are expecting the "Power Two" to form their own College Football Playoff, leaving the NCAA behind altogether.

By 2026? That could be a distinct possibility.
Yes the super conferences are here ... but thats it .. OK State, K-State, TT NEVER ... Oregon and UW had to take HALF SHARES to get in the B1G, with ZERO guarantee of when or if they would get a full share. There are not many schools left that can bring in the money to ADD or even keep Conference revenue per school at current levels .. ND Yes, UNC -- Maybe ??, FSU Yes, Clemson Yes .. thats ALL thats left on the Table. ND just got a 74 Million dollar deal from NBC... All this is just Nonsense. If the B1G were going to take Kansas, they would've already done it. The B1G has always had this weird Academic thing for UVA.. They would probably go to the the B1G for a Half Share, just like Oregon and WU. So maybe NC and UVA -> B1G and FSU and Clemson to the SEC.... More or less what we have to TODAY IS the 2 super conferences... Period. Going back to 2000 IF Clemson and FSU become SEC schools EVERY NC is a school thats going to be or is either SEC or B1G .. Except for Miami in 2001 .. Why would the conferences need to expand further ?? It makes no sense and the $$$ is just not there. On top of that Networks are cutting BACK. They are not going to shove a bunch of money at the SEC to get KSU and OSU ??? delusional on Swaims part at best.
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

I dont think there will be any changes for a while. First digest the existing additions to the sec and big and the huge change the 12 team playoff….

This is enough change for the next 5 years

The only change in the short term is that UFL gets bigger and more prominent…. :eyes: :eyes:
OU Chinaman

Post by OU Chinaman »

...I've heard talk there's already discussions of expanding the 12 team playoff as early as 2026. :dude:

I'm with you zg, let's let the new 12 team format play out for awhile b4 changing it again.
And I'm excited for the new UFL, too.
Since I don't watch the NFL, the Spring League is my only option for professional football.
It's fun to watch.
Like the rule changes.
Be interesting to see if Bobby Stoops can defend his title. (Won the League with a losing season record. last year.) :cool:

:ou: :ou: :ou: :rice:
captnop

Post by captnop »

I didn't Realize Swaim's an Aggie Geez no wonder he's delusional ... Ok State to the SEC ??? I Got some farmland in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean for sale ...
Rough Rider

Post by Rough Rider »

Back when I used to follow realignment on the edge of my seat, Swaim's name used to come up as though he was someone in the know and he was ALWAYS wrong. No offense Wishbone.

I haven't followed it that close for several years now but I have to think if Swaim called Washington and Oregon it was along the lines of a blind squirrel finding a nut. One problem with his takes, he always WAY overvalued Oakie State.
Poster formerly known as tbmguy