OU Softball (18-1) Hosts A&M Commerce (5-16) on Wed Night @ 6 PM

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
OUBeliever56A

OU Softball (18-1) Hosts A&M Commerce (5-16) on Wed Night @ 6 PM

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Love's Field and the Oklahoma Sooners will host Texas A&M-Commerce tonight in a 6 PM game. The Sooners will re-focus and take the field looking for some satisfaction and direction after dropping their game on Sunday to a good Louisiana team 7-5. The future is in front of the Sooners and they are not looking backwards in any way.

As noted above, A&M-Commerce is 5-16. They have a Team ERA of 5.20. They allow 1.92 baserunners on hits, walks and HB an inning. that does not include the 34 errors that the Lions have committed in 21 games. On offense the Lions have a batting line of .219 BA, .274 OB% and .287 Slug%. They have scored 3.09 runs a game. They have hit 20 doubles, 2 triples and 4 HRs this season. They have had a couple of moments though as they lost to Missouri 1-0 and to South Dakota State 2-0 earlier in the year.

A&M-Commerce does have 3 pretty good hitters in Pitts (.327 BA), Sefe (.326 BA, .543 Slug%) and Hickey (.304 BA). Their two primary pitchers are Mulder (12 starts, 2-7, 5.38 ERA) and Sanchez (3-5, 4.86 ERA) with a third pitcher adding to the team in Arrenondo (30.0 innings, 3.73 ERA). They strike out about 1 hitter every two innings (76 in 140 innings). When you add in that the Lions have allowed 21 unearned runs on those 34 errors, the ERA's are actually downplayed a bit.

A&M-Commerce should enjoy playing in Love's Field tonight, but make no mistake, they should not even come close to causing concern for the Sooners on the field. Yes, OU still needs to play well and play with purpose. But the game should be the opening salvo of restarting their season on Wednesday night.

Oklahoma has a hitting line of .382 BA, .466 OB% and .661 Slug%. They are scoring 8.16 runs a game and have a Team ERA of 1.39 and a BAA of .184. They are allowing 1.10 baserunners per inning on hits, walks and HB. Oklahoma strikes out almost 1 batter every inning. Honestly, the hits allowed are higher and the strikeouts are lower than they maybe should be so far for the Sooners.

Offensively, the 7 veteran hitters Boone, Hansen, Torres, Jennings, Coleman, Brito and Sanders (the Sooner Seven) are hitting a combined .399 BA, .486 OB% and .713 Slug% with 25 doubles, 2 triples and 25 HRs a third of the way through the season. They are doing their job with an A+ and maybe could get a bit better as Colman, Hansen and Sanders warm up a bit hopefully.

The three 'newbies', Parker, Pickering and Ludlam are also hitting the ball well. Ludlam, Parker and Pickering are hitting a combined .401, .496 OB% and .652 Slug% with 4 doubles and 8 HRs. That has to grade out as an A++ in my book. The remainder of the offense is hitting .171 BA, .333 OB% and .268 Slug% in limited opportunities.

The offense looks like it will come from the Sooner Seven and the three first year Sooners. They are ten very solid hitters that will create the offense for the Sooners and it should be good enough to be a powerful positive factor for the Sooners. The Sooners have left on 39.3% of their runners on base which is a strong number for the amount of base runners the Sooners put on base. I am not worried about this stat. The Sooners have left more than a 40% of the base runners on base 8 times and only 4 times over 50% in their 19 games. The leadoff hitter is reaching base at a .575 pace which is also a strong number for the offense. I see that the Sooners are hitting .411 with runners in scoring position, and .384 with 2 outs also. both are solid numbers and reflect their averages as well.

In the circle, the Sooners can be thought of as three starters and three relievers, I think. The Team ERA 1.39 which might be a bit high this early in the season, but it is still #6 in the country. May, Maxwell an Deal are 14-0 with a combined 76.2 IP and a 1.46 ERA. They have totalled 35 walks and HB while giving up 52 hits. That works out to 1.13 base runners per inning. that number is high and hopefully comes down. the 29 walks is the issue that needs to improve. They have 87 Ks for a 1.13 Ks per inning which is solid but a bit low also. In relief, Keeney, Monticelli and Geurin have a 4-1 record while pitching 39.1 innings allowing 24 hits, 13 walks, 4 HB an 27 Ks. That equals 1.05 base runners per inning and 0.69 Ks per inning. Again, the base runners are a bit high and the Ks are, this time, too low. The 10 HRs allowed by the pitchers is a bit of concern as well with 1 every 11.1 innings pitched.

I hope the pitching is more effective this week against A&M Commerce and Iowa State. They need to allow fewer hits and walks and pick up a couple more strikeouts per game as well keep the ball inside the fences the next four games.

I think Deal might start in the circle tonight for the Sooners, but it could be any of the six Sooner pitchers. We might even see five different pitchers tonight if the Sooners chose to send 1 pitcher an inning to the circle. I hope we see a bit more of a 'traditional' batting order tonight with the top being Coleman, Jennings, Brito and Hansen as the top four hitters but, the analytics might indicate some thing else. I hope Boone is back in her 9th spot as well.

Here is the Sooner staff writers article about the A&M-Commerce game tonight.

https://soonersports.com/news/2024/3/5/ ... dweek-tilt

Good luck to the Sooner women tonight.

Boomer Sooner!
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Thanks '56 for your preview of the game with the Lions tonight and I agree with most everything you presented. I'm not going to be able to do a preview myself but I'll just add a couple of thoughts to yours.
Commerce is a member of the Southland Conference--which is a pretty good conference with teams like McNeese State (remember them?), North Texas, Lamar, and so on. But many of the teams that make up the losses on the Lions' horrible record so far are far lesser teams--such as SIU Evansville, Omaha, South Dakota, Abilene Christian, Tarleton, etc. It's my opinion that Commerce will struggle --a lot-- to keep the score from being very lopsided. If we don't score at least 20 runs against them, then I would be concerned that something is terribly wrong. Heck, our bench should be able to score 20 runs.
Like Believer, I think Deal gets the start. She needs every opportunity to sharpen her skills for our future. May and Maxwell don't need that. Deal does--she is our future. Also expect to see Geurin and Monti in mop up, maybe 1 inning each at the end.
I think the Sooners will come out angry after being stung in their own house on Sunday and will play with a fire we haven't seen in a while.
I want to see Deal come out and just mow 'em down.
I'd like to see some stability in the lineup--at least some semblance of order that we are used to. I've read comments that our lineup is done by analytics---I'm not sure if I'm on board with that line of thought yet. The lineups we've used in the past have been very successful--stop tinkering, please. Tonight is the final "dress rehearsal" for the upcoming conference battleground. Let's get things settled and establish some continuity.
I think the field positions have been set. Jennings Is the shortstop. End of discussion.

Sorry I'm doing this on the fly this morning....I think the Sooners win big and we set our sights on the Iowa State Cyclones coming to town on Friday.

Boomer!
aka Crimson47
oufanforever

Post by oufanforever »

Texas A&M Commerce's one stake to fame this season is their game against Missouri where both team threw a no hitter. A&M Commerce lost 1-0 on a walk, stolen base, stolen base, and sac fly.
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

TropicalSooner wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:21 am
I'd like to see some stability in the lineup--at least some semblance of order that we are used to. I've read comments that our lineup is done by analytics---I'm not sure if I'm on board with that line of thought yet. The lineups we've used in the past have been very successful--stop tinkering, please. Tonight is the final "dress rehearsal" for the upcoming conference battleground. Let's get things settled and establish some continuity.

I think the field positions have been set. Jennings Is the shortstop. End of discussion.

Boomer!
I will dive into these two comments by 'TropicalSooner'.

I am like you, analytics is beneficial but perhaps only to a point. My thoughts are this.

When you are a proven hitter like Coleman, Jennings, Hansen, Brito and Boone how many pitchers are you not going to be a good matchup against? These players have proved that they can hit just about everyone, right? All five of these hitters have over a .365 for their careers. It would seem like to me that you can not go to wrong if you put these five players in the #1 thru #4 spots in the lineup and put Boone at #9 just because of what she does there. It seems like a no brainer to me. We can discuss who hits 2, 3, and 4 but Coleman is at leadoff and just write the other 3 down. Are there really better options for the top 4 hitters with Sanders, Torres, Parker, Pickering and Ludlam? It just seems logical that they fill in the #5 thru #8 spots and you go play.

Like you, I think they are set. But, if you were going to change up something, tonight is the night to do so. Not that I am promoting this, but I would not be upset about Jennings moving back to 2B with Torres/Hodge playing SS. I think Brito is the answer at 3B and this keeps 3B and 2B int he same great shape we saw last year.

I guess I have never really understood Torres getting more play at SS in the fall. She did start at SS for three years at Arizona State and she had a fielding% of .941 with 24 errors in three years for 8 a year as an average. Yes, that is higher than normal for Oklahoma but we have to say thank you to Arnold and Lyons since 2017, period, end of sentence. If Torres or Hodge just makes the plays they should the Sooners should be okay, right. And 2B and 3B will be lock down positions.

I think Jennings is playing a step or two closer at SS probably due to her arm. That step makes a difference in what you cover.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

OUBeliever56A wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:12 am
TropicalSooner wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:21 am

Boomer!
I will dive into these two comments by 'TropicalSooner'.

I am like you, analytics is beneficial but perhaps only to a point. My thoughts are this.

When you are a proven hitter like Coleman, Jennings, Hansen, Brito and Boone how many pitchers are you not going to be a good matchup against? These players have proved that they can hit just about everyone, right? All five of these hitters have over a .365 for their careers. It would seem like to me that you can not go to wrong if you put these five players in the #1 thru #4 spots in the lineup and put Boone at #9 just because of what she does there. It seems like a no brainer to me. We can discuss who hits 2, 3, and 4 but Coleman is at leadoff and just write the other 3 down. Are there really better options for the top 4 hitters with Sanders, Torres, Parker, Pickering and Ludlam? It just seems logical that they fill in the #5 thru #8 spots and you go play.

Like you, I think they are set. But, if you were going to change up something, tonight is the night to do so. Not that I am promoting this, but I would not be upset about Jennings moving back to 2B with Torres/Hodge playing SS. I think Brito is the answer at 3B and this keeps 3B and 2B int he same great shape we saw last year.

I guess I have never really understood Torres getting more play at SS in the fall. She did start at SS for three years at Arizona State and she had a fielding% of .941 with 24 errors in three years for 8 a year as an average. Yes, that is higher than normal for Oklahoma but we have to say thank you to Arnold and Lyons since 2017, period, end of sentence. If Torres or Hodge just makes the plays they should the Sooners should be okay, right. And 2B and 3B will be lock down positions.

I think Jennings is playing a step or two closer at SS probably due to her arm. That step makes a difference in what you cover.
I will be critical of my own statement, or perhaps expand on it a bit:
I agree and would dearly like to see Jennings move back to 2B. And I am totally comfortable with Hodge at SS. Even Torres. I think putting Hodge at SS and giving her regular at bats will eventually will bring her around. Even Lyons wasn't a big threat her first year starting.
All that said, what I meant was that I think Patty has in her mind that Jennings is going to be her SS this year and the rest of the field positions fell into place. It's just hard for me to see her pulling her Captain off the position she's now played for a third of the season right before we go into conference play.
Maybe I'm wrong. I hope so. Wouldn't be the first time.
But that's just how it appears to me.
aka Crimson47
AustinTXSooner

Post by AustinTXSooner »

First, thank '56 for your research.

I have two comments that are related.
1) I've stated in another thread that I think Hodge should play more shortstop. But it's not something that I'm going to keep harping on.

2) Above, '56 states that TAMC has 3 pretty good hitters. I generally use OPS to rate hitters. By that yardstick, TAMC has one hitter better than Hodge. I say that only to try and put things in perspective. A lot of people here don't think much of Hodge's hitting. That's primarily because of what we are used to. Her hitting doesn't stack up well by Oklahoma standards, but other teams would love to have her.
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

AustinTXSooner wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:20 pm First, thank '56 for your research.

I have two comments that are related.
1) I've stated in another thread that I think Hodge should play more shortstop. But it's not something that I'm going to keep harping on.

2) Above, '56 states that TAMC has 3 pretty good hitters. I generally use OPS to rate hitters. By that yardstick, TAMC has one hitter better than Hodge. I say that only to try and put things in perspective. A lot of people here don't think much of Hodge's hitting. That's primarily because of what we are used to. Her hitting doesn't stack up well by Oklahoma standards, but other teams would love to have her.
Coach inconnu sez "play her at shortstop, sub for her at the plate."
1KCSoonerFan

Post by 1KCSoonerFan »

I understand and agree with many of these thoughts, analysis, and the opinions of my betters on this topic.

It did occur to me reading them that it wasn't a particular SS's offense that " let us down" against Lousianna....it was the overall defense, base running errors, pitching, and a couple missed calls (if you want to grace me with one excuse).

We scored enough runs to win the game. We fought like hell and came back more than once to stay in the game. The reason we lost was definitely not because Hodge isn't hitting .350.

The team has a few things to figure out on all levels so far this season, IMO. If anyone can do that, they can!
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

Hodge gets a hit! Yew go, girl! Sooners putting a thumping on the smalltown txags.
1KCSoonerFan

Post by 1KCSoonerFan »

With all due respect to the sages and to Texas Commerce, a first year softball program.....we almost went 1-2-3 in the first inning on offense. Granted, we did not go 1-2-3 in the first. I guess My Expectations got in my way again.

We scored 5 runs After recording 2 outs in the first inning....which is, again, amazing how many two-out runs the Sooners have scored! I really don't expect, as a poster on another board suggested, that if OU does not win by a score of 20 to 0, that there is something wrong, but I caught myself thinking that OU will likely get blanked in the first inning, by an inferior team, after those first two outs in our half of the first inning. It felt like a trend to me - OU doesn't score in the first inning, no matter the competition. Why?

Obviously, that thought/feeling was not true against TX Commerce tonight. I'm not sure that feeling is even true statistically or not. Just talking about my feelings and expectations (both of which are irrational - but not necessarily at odds with each other.)

That thought is what bothered me - not the outcome of the game where OU won with a run-rule shut out! I'll take the win and celebrate it!

There is so much change right now for OUSB. I am proud the team can function at all....and am recently learning how little the team has access to practice on Love's Field due to on-going construction/safety issues, and how that will continue for a couple more weeks? Okay.

Just like an OUSB fan to complain about another run rule win!
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

I, like I think many of us here, and certainly 1KCSoonerFan, are eager and ready to see us get into high gear, and a bit squeamish about whether we will come to that high gear. I do believe many of us are simply chomping at the bit for the ladies to win the 4-peat! I'm guessing many of us are mentally prerpared to be off a bit NEXT YEAR, with all the new faces on the roster, but super excited to see us accomplish the achievement this year that's never been done before!
1KCSoonerFan

Post by 1KCSoonerFan »

Thanks, inconnu!

You get what I am saying.

I love this team and I want that four-peat for them, for OU, and for the history books that will endure long after the OU Softball Dynasty has come and gone - and come back again.

I have a sense that this year will be a real test of grit, guts, and determination - hopefully, with a liberal sprinkling of luck, timely hitting, and game-changing defensive plays. Is that different from ANY other year? Probably not, honestly. I envy what these young women are going to learn about life and about themselves this year.

We are going to win a lot of games this year. We are developing some young, superstar players for the future. I would never count OU out of any contest against any team, anywhere, anytime. Like you said, inconnu, I want to see the Ponies let loose and the Schooner flying across the softball landscape, running free. Maybe our horses are doing the best they can already? The best they can do is good enough for me.

The next 20 games or so will reveal some things to all of us.

I also recall how I felt last year when OU was a bit pokey, played Liberty to a 1-0 win in extra innings on a throwing error (not a hit), and lost to an inferior Baylor team....all before going on a 70+ game winning streak! Ha! So, needless to say, my feelings are just that - feelings and not facts.

I appreciate and value this space where I can share my hopes and disappointments - however realistic either may or may not be. The stats often bring me back to earth....and they show OU is dang good again.
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Freshmen/Sophomores Lead the Sooners to win over Texas A&M-Commerce in a 9-0 Run-rule Shutout Win

The Oklahoma Sooners took the field at Love's Field for the sixth time on Wednesday night to play the upstart Texas A&M-Commerce and won their 19th game of the year in a 5 inning run-rule, shutout by the score of 9-0. The lineup on defense was as it has been except for Hodge got the start at second base. What was different was that the win was led by the Sooner young players as Deal (Soph) and Monticelli (Soph) led the Sooners in the circle and Pickering (FR) and Parker (FR) led the way in the batter's box for the Sooners.

Kierston Deal pitched the first three innings and retired the Lions in order after the first batter of the game singled into the hole between SS and 3B. Deal retired 9 of 10 hitters with 5 Ks, 3 fly outs and 1 ground ball out. Deal threw 39 pitches in her 3 innings with 30 strikes. Deal only had 2 batters reach a 3-ball count. Deal picked up her 4th win of the season.

Paytn Monticelli pitched the final two innings of the game and allowed 1 hit, a single, 1 walk and picked up 3 Ks with 2 fly outs and 1 ground ball. Monticelli threw 45 pitches with 27 strikes. After a 9-pitch inning in he 4th, Monticelli threw 36 pitches in the 5th as 4 batters reached a 3-2 count against her and after the first batter went to a 2-1 count. (It would be very nice if Monticelli could develop some sort of off-speed pitch to go with her upper 60's speed pitches. Something in the high 50's would just tie up hitters in a very effective way.)

In the first inning, the leadoff hitter, stole second base. On the play, the throw was caught behind the runner and behind the bag. In trying to make the play, Jennings applied the tag quickly but the runners foot was on the bag before the tag. I thought it was odd that the play was made behind the bag. I am pretty sure if the ball had been played in front of the bag, the play would have resulted in an out. I wonder if 'obstruction' concerns caused the play to be made from behind the bag of if maybe Jennings was a bit late getting to the bag. The play was just a bit odd to me in the way it took place. Hansen's throw was a good one I felt.

On offense, two freshmen led the way,, especially in the first inning. After a leadoff walk by Rylie Boone, the Sooners hit into two fly outs to the outfield. Kinzie Hansen 'started' a two out rally though with a 4-pitch walk. The rally moved into 3rd gear as Kasidi Pickering hit a line drive double to RF just over the running RF's glove as the ball hit the base of the wall as Boone and Hansen rounded the bases to score two runs for the Sooners. Jayda Coleman then walked to put runners on 1st and 2nd. On a 0-1 pitch, Ella Parker crushed a line drive to RF that landed about half way up the lower section in RF for a 3-run HR and a 5-0 lead for Oklahoma. Parker's hit was a laser to the stands. After a A&M-Commerce pitching change, Avery Hodge made the final out of the first inning on a ground ball to 3B.

Cydney Sanders led off the 2nd inning with a sharp ground ball down the left field line for a double. Boone laid down a decent bunt that the pitcher fielded but Boone just outran the play to reach first safely as Sanders moved to 3B. Alyssa Brito drove a ball deep to CF for a SFLY to plate Sanders for the sixth run with one out. With Tiare Jennings at the plate, Boone attempted a steal of second base but was thrown out on the play on a nice throw by the Commerce catcher for the second out of the inning. Jennings then grounded out to third base for the final out of the inning.

In the 3rd inning, Hansen led off with a single up the middle. Riley Ludlam then was sent in to run for Hansen at first base. Pickering then drove another line drive to LF-LC that was just over the glove of the running LF to strike the wall and bounce back off the wall. Ludlam scored all the way from first base for the 7th run of the game. Both of Pickering's doubles came on 3-2 counts after a foul ball or two to spoil pitches. Pickering had 3 RBIs on the night. Coleman then singled on a liner to CF that the the CF momentarily mishandled. Pickering scored run #8 on the single and Coleman moved to second base on the miscue. Hannah Coor entered the game to run for Coleman. Parker followed with a fly out to RF for the first out. Hodge stroked a liner to LC that was placed perfectly for her to run the hit into a double as Coor scored from 2B for the 9th run. Sanders popped up behind the plate for the 2nd out of the inning before Boone hit a line drive right at the SS for the 3rd out of the inning.

In the 4th inning, Torres (replaced Brito in the T4) singled down the left field line to open the inning. Lilio entered the game in Jennings' spot to play 2B in the top of the 4th with Hodge moving to SS. At the plate, Lilio and Ludlam, who stayed in the game to catch, were both out on fly balls. Coor, who stayed in the game to play CF, then fly out on a foul ball to 3B for the final out of the game. Maya Bland entered the game in the top of the 4th to play RF.

Oklahoma was 9 for 19 in the game with 4 doubles and 1 HR, a SFLY and a caught stealing. as they scored 9 runs. They left 2 runners on base in the game (2 of 12 for 16.7%).

One note about the game is that on Coleman's walk in the 1st inning, they fourth ball was a time clock violation, I believe. It was shown in the box score as an intentional walk, but I believe the call was a time clock violation on the last pitch.

The 9-0 win was the Sooners 19th and was their 11th run-rule game and their 12th shutout of the season.

The Wednesday night game had an attendance figure of 3,945. I am not sure there were that many fans in the stands, however.

The Sooners will host Iowa State in a 3-game series on Friday, Saturday and Sunday in Love's Field. The games are scheduled for 6 PM on Friday, 2 PM on Saturday and 1 PM on Sunday. the series will be the opening Big 12 conference series for Oklahoma. Oklahoma will play 9 conference series this season.

Good luck to the Sooners Softball Team this weekend.

Boomer Sooner!
TN Sooner

Post by TN Sooner »

Satisfying result for sure. Not sure how much we learned, but satisfying. Further confirmation that Deal is throwing the best for the Sooners right now. Glad to see Paytn get a couple of innings. I like seeing her getting into a bit of a jam and then push thru to finish the game. Keep working to get better every day.
EMan

Post by EMan »

OK, the out-of-conference schedule (ie, the experimentation season) is over. I'd expect to see a much more stable line-up going forward. There will still be games where PG juggles the batting order and players (just to give players some rest and keep others involved) but I'll be surprised if we don't see a more regular type of line-up from this point forward, meaning putting Jayda back at the top of the order, etc. As many have noted, though we may forget from one year to the next, trying out various line-ups and putting players in stressful situations has been PG's MO for a long time. And obviously, it hasn't failed her. So while the team may not seem to be clicking on all cylinders yet, having the team peak at the right time is the critical objective. And in that capacity, PG has definitely proven why she's the GOAT!
I may not always be right, but I'm never wrong!