Proposed Changes For Next Season to be Voted On

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
WishBone

Proposed Changes For Next Season to be Voted On

Post by WishBone »

Report: NCAA Rules Committee expected to vote on recommendation to allow coach-to-player helmet communication

College football is poised to modernize in a few key ways in the near future. Recommendations are being finalized this week calling for the approval of coach-to-player helmet comms, sideline tablets and a two-minute warning, according to Yahoo Sports’ Ross Dellenger.

The coach-to-player helmet communication became a hot-button issue during the 2023 season after revelations about impermissible scouting by a Michigan staffer to suss out opponents signals. The technology has been used in the NFL for decades.

Along with the push for a direct radio link from coaches to a player on the field, leaders in charge of the rules are also poised to allow for the use of tablets to replay previous plays or use other permissible video to coach players on the sideline. Currently, such tech isn’t allowed on college sidelines, but has been popularized in the NFL during the last decade.

In an additional move that mimics the NFL, the NCAA Rules Committee is also apparently pushing to add a two-minute warning, meaning the clock will stop at 2:00 remaining (or after a play runs just past that time) at the end of each half. This has been a rule in the NFL for decades.

The NCAA Rules Committee announced these proposed changes shortly after they were publicly reported. To actually be put in action, the NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel (PROP) will have to approve the rule changes. They’re scheduled to discuss them on April 18.

The addition of helmet communications started to truly be legislated by the NCAA in the wake of the Michigan scandal, and while the move is largely supported across membership, it’s not universal and some expect there to be some issues with the new tech as it gets better implemented over the years.

Big changes could be coming to the College Football Playoff
As conference leaders continue to try and hammer out a new plan for the College Football Playoff beyond the 2025-26 season, a new potential wrinkle has emerged. In a proposed 14-team CFP model, only the champions of the SEC and Big Ten would be eligible for the two byes in the postseason tournament, according to Dellenger.

In recent weeks, the Big Ten and SEC reportedly began working together in examining the future of college football and athletics. So far, the resulting moves, particularly with respect to the College Football Playoff, have signaled an intent for the leagues to elevate themselves further above the other Power 5 (soon four) leagues.

To wit, it’s been proposed that in a 14-team CFP model, the Big Ten and SEC would each get three automatic bids, while the Big 12 and ACC would get two each. Additionally, an auto bid would be given to the highest-ranked Group of 5 champion before three at-large teams to round out the field. The deal would also guarantee a spot to Notre Dame if the Irish finish ranked in the Top 14.

A move to make the champions of the respective two leagues — in most years perceived as two of, if not the top two teams in the sport — effectively a permanent No. 1 and No. 2 seed would be another level of hegemony.
Opinions are still "OK" ...Correct?
OU Chinaman

Post by OU Chinaman »

...Can't say I have any major problem with any of these proposed changes as laid out in this article.

NCAA better move fast, because I think there's more & more sentiment for the Power 4 schools to break away from the NCAA altogether, and reorganize with a format similar to the NFL template.

Either way,, the dramatic changes to college football seem to be increasing and accelerating.

Really glad OU made the jump to the SEC. OKLAHOMA needed to be in the Top Echelon of college football, & not lending any grid iron prestige to the likes of their former conf. foes in the Big 12 :cool:

:ou: :ou: :ou: :rice: ,
Fly

Post by Fly »

I can,t say I like the coach to player. Why, I can not say for sure. But with technology the way it is today, who’s to say the opposing team might have some kind scanner? Why can,t they just leave the game alone & play it how it was designed to be played. Reminds
me of the government. ☹️

🪰Fly :BV: :ou:
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

I like the coach to player communication, takes out the “Harbaugh factor”…..levels the playing field…this is what the NFL does and face it CFB is now the D league for NFL..
Triple Option

Post by Triple Option »

"a new potential wrinkle has emerged. In a proposed 14-team CFP model, only the champions of the SEC and Big Ten would be eligible for the two byes in the postseason tournament"

I gotta say, I don't like stuff like this, no matter who it is. Earn it on the field. If you're not good enough to do that, go get better.
All that is gold does not glitter.
Not all those who wander are lost.
The old that is strong does not wither.
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
- Bilbo Baggins
RussC

Post by RussC »

Zgeo wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:16 am Face it CFB is now the D league for NFL..
You are not wrong. Building on this, it could end up with high schoolers being drafted straight into the NFL under contract. NFL already has the antitrust exemption. NFL would license the right to use names and logos of schools, so you’d have some D-league team go by the name “Oklahoma Sooners” and rock the interlocking O-U, and crimson/cream colors.
#Mentally In Portal