Arnold changing jersey number

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
Oklahombre

Arnold changing jersey number

Post by Oklahombre »

Jackson going with *11, formerly worn by Worm Warmack, Tinker, and Jack Mildren. I like it...

ColleyvilleSooner

Post by ColleyvilleSooner »

As long as he plays more like Jack Mildren than Davis Beville I am fine with the change.
soonerindallas

Post by soonerindallas »

Mildren is one of my all-time favorite Sooners. What a QB, leader, & father of the wishbone. If Arnold plays anything like Jack, we are in good shape.
Fly

Post by Fly »

Jack was a cool dude.I met him on several occasions. He did not have the speed of a some of our great QBs or the accuracy of
Some others we have had. Don,t get me wrong he was a great athlete for sure. But talk about one tuff competitor, there was
No better. Jack would hold the ball till the very last sec before pitching it to his pitchman every time, & absorbed the crushing
hit he was about to have. Get up wipe himself off & do it again & again. The thing is I can not remember him ever have go out
To the bench. What a GREAT WishBone QB. My hero for ever!

🪰Fly :BV: :ou:
OU Chinaman

Post by OU Chinaman »

...Number 11 has a storied history for OU QB's. (Darrel Royal is another,...and Teddy Lehman a Butkus Award Winner proudly wore 11.)
Glad to see JA embrace the challenge of continuing that legacy, because those are big cleats to fill!

(I think he will.) :cool:

:ou: :ou: :ou: :rice:
RussC

Post by RussC »

I remember being annoyed when Bookie wore #44 and never earned it.
#Mentally In Portal
ColleyvilleSooner

Post by ColleyvilleSooner »

soonerindallas wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:23 pm Mildren is one of my all-time favorite Sooners. What a QB, leader, & father of the wishbone. If Arnold plays anything like Jack, we are in good shape.
King Barry personally recruited Mildren to OU from Abilene Cooper HS, Texas. Barry was OC at the time and while driving in a heavy snow storm he excitedly explained the new option attack to Mildren. The next thing you know the two got out of the car and started doing option plays along the side of the road (this is from an old Sports Illustrated article on Switzer). Mildren was sold on Barry's energy and charisma. I mean what kind of person would get out of the car in a snow storm to demonstrate option plays?