I said I was not going to watch the super bowl I lyed

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
Fly

I said I was not going to watch the super bowl I lyed

Post by Fly »

Great game for some reason I found myself pulling for KC? But I kept thinking about why we a NEED KICKER!

🪰Fly :BV: :ou:
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

These FG kickers are 100% from 55 yards out and we couldn’t do 25 reliably…….BUT the HS kid from Moore can kick 55 yards reliably…..

I thought the OTs for KC held on every play and were never called…..seemed rigged….

I wanted Trent to get a SB ring….

I thought Kelce should have been sent to the locker room when he screamed at the coach and shoved him almost knocked him down….Andy Reid is the brains behind KC…..
Fly

Post by Fly »

Zgeo I don,t know about all that other stuff, I have not watch a NFL game in years. But I pray your right about that Moore kid. To
many games are won & lost because of good or bad kickers.

🪰Fly :BV: :ou:
ColleyvilleSooner

Post by ColleyvilleSooner »

Zgeo wrote: ↑Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:02 pm These FG kickers are 100% from 55 yards out and we couldn’t do 25 reliably…….BUT the HS kid from Moore can kick 55 yards reliably…..

I thought the OTs for KC held on every play and were never called…..seemed rigged….

I wanted Trent to get a SB ring….

I thought Kelce should have been sent to the locker room when he screamed at the coach and shoved him almost knocked him down….Andy Reid is the brains behind KC…..
SF is probably the better team. Their defense is exceptional. But the better team does not always win and the punt recovery and TD was a huge break for KC.

It would take a lot to knock over Andy Reid. Kelce rushed him and grabbed his arm and bumped him, but I didn't think it was hard enough to knock over Reid who wasn't bothered by the exchange. Besides, this is the NFL and pros have different standards than college or HS. Coaches and players are much closer to being peers in the NFL. There is no way KC was about to bench one of the best players in the NFL.

I presume the Super Bowl has the best referees in the game. It wasn't rigged. KC got shorted on a few near first downs in my opinion. The horse collar against KC for grabbing Purdy was questionable, as was the first down catch on the sidelines by SF on their FG drive in the fourth. It should have been reviewed on whether it was a catch. But overall, the officiating was okay, not biased on way or another.

Mahomes may be the GOAT before his career is over. This was his 7th season in the NFL and he has 3 Super Bowl rings already. His QB rating is outstanding, better than other all time greats, and he has that special ability to make clutch plays and lead winning drives.

Creed had trouble with the snap the whole game. Not sure what the issue was. He snapped it low almost every time.

Kickers who are almost automatic over 50 are becoming the norm in the NFL. For a stretch some years ago, Dan Bailey of Dallas and OSU was Mr. Automatic even over 50 yards. OU has been hit or miss with kickers. We have had good ones but other ones who got nervous or fell apart mentally in the middle of the season. I remember that happened to some Lou Groza candidate. I just don't remember OU kickers making most of the game winning opportunities in recent years. The 4 OT game against Texas could have been won with a FG but our kicker totally choked it. Against Army a few years ago we had a good kicker but he missed at the end and game and we had to win it in OT. It's an important position and we need a lot better than Zach Schmitt.
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

Sure they were going to keep Kelce in they needed him. Doesn’t change the fact that he lost his cool and pitched a fit because they were behind, he has done this before….Reid is an obese 65 year old he almost lost his balance when Kelce accosted him on the sidelines…..

It was a close game….still waned Tent to get a ring…
soonerTroll2

Post by soonerTroll2 »

In my opinion their is an * after any player being called the best ever if his whole career is played post 2010. The rules have so softened the NFL (and college football) it's not the same game as was played in the past. If any present day QB's and their offenses had to play the Steel Curtain, Doomsday, 85 Bears, or the hard hitting Raider D's of the 70's I don't know if they would be able to finish a full game.
OU Chinaman

Post by OU Chinaman »

...i DID NOT WATCH IT!

Special Teams is the new term for what in my younger days was the the Kicking Game.
It was established in the third 3rd principle of Jim Mackenzie's, The Winning Edge!

II. AVOID LOSING FIRST
Defense, the kicking game, then do what you can offensively.
Four of five games are lost-not won.Don't give them anything.
Make them earn it.
Mistake free football wins.

" The kicking game and defense are THE MOST IMPORTANT PHASES OF THE GAME," Switzer states, "Many people talk about the advantage of having the ball.
That advantage DEPENDS on where you have the ball. I never want the ball on my own 1 yd. line. A mistake there kills you.
If the other team has the ball on their own 1 yd. line, we're more apt to score than they are..
The odds are they will have to punt, and with one first down we're in four down territory and will score.
Percentages are that we will score., but they have the ball.
Defense first, you can't LOSE if you play it well enough." ]

I agree sT2, the game is still violent, but not like the 1960's or 70's.
The powers that be began to disadvantage the defenses to promote more scoring and in theory more excitement and fans.
Have to believe "player safety" was also a big factor, so the helmets pads and equopment worn by players is better than it was.
When I played HS in 1969, 1970 large hip pads,tailbone pads and knee pads were mandatory. Don't think anyone wears them now.
Helmets and more than single bar face masks were good things IMO.
I can remember Don Meredith playing in the mid 60-'s wearing a white plaster face mask with two holes for his eyes,(protecting a broken nose)
They've basically put a dress on the QB's today. :cool:

:ou: :ou: :ou: :rice:
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

Although i wanted Trent to win a SuperBowl there are 4 Sooners on the Chiefs.. Blake Bell and his wife look happy with the win….

https://people.com/pregnant-lyndsay-bel ... 24-8553800

:ou: :ou: :ou:
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

This link has pic of all Sooners that played Super Bowl and a few that didn’t play but were there….. :eyes:

https://soonerswire.usatoday.com/galler ... arsely-api

:ou:
Rough Rider

Post by Rough Rider »

Except for the Super Bowl, I don’t really watch NFL. Football is more fun with a rooting interest so for years now my blanket policy is to root for the team with the most Sooners, real Sooners… not the ones that list their HS or some other college. So, KC was my team of the night. Wouldn’t have hurt my feelings if the 2 Sooners on the 49er’s team got a ring though.
Poster formerly known as tbmguy
AllSooner

Post by AllSooner »

It really bugs me to that some of the pro's don't give homage to a university, in my case Oklahoma, but instead give their allegiance to a HS, town, or maybe grade schools. So here is my take on these players. Most of the players that don't give homage to Oklahoma are ones that have attended multiple schools. Jalen Hurts is one example. While some dis their first school. Baker comes to mind. And there are those who started and finished at Oklahoma. Creed comes to mind. Then I'm sure there will come a time when ones that start and finish at OU will not claim OU. It's gonna get worse in today's "free agency".
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

Next years SB will be Buccaneers versus Texans , a replay of the precision passing contest.

As far as mentioning school, it started as a legitimate intro of players to fans ie who are you and where are you from….. with social media and changing society most player in the NFL are al ready known to some extent it seems to be an obligation the player might rather not do but are compelled to , in some cases, in many cases they are proud of how they qualified or advanced into NFL status…..

With college becoming a pro situation with fluid portal moves this all may change with more players attending 2 or 3 schools, and which one really got them to the NFL…..

Jalen Hurts is an interesting case. He got a Masters at OU and came back to walk graduation. He was benched at Bama in favor of another (like Rattler). He played at OU and really proved he was good enough for NFL while at OU after Bama raised questions about that by benching him. He mainly wears Bama stuff but he says good things about OU occasionally. IDK how he handles intro (Bama or OU or other?). And now Bama is no longer Bama of old , with Saban gone….. Anyone know how Jalen handles intro in his last game….?

We are currently in that phase where there is still some of the old college amateur allegiance as in the past but we are moving toward the fact that it is a job for these guys. Sure some NFL guys show allegiance to their past NFL team (s) but it is different like fondly looking back at an old job you liked.

With CFB becoming a pro sport all you can really expect going forward is that coaches will play the best players, and the players will give their best. The college kids are paid now. As long as they fulfill their contract, they and their employer are even. Just like the rest of us……things have changed….

:ou: :ou: