Jennings to Start at Short (per report)

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
EMan

Jennings to Start at Short (per report)

Post by EMan »

Read that Eric Bailey is reporting that Tiare will start at shortstop in the first game per PG. Brito to stay at third. So second base is now the open position.
I may not always be right, but I'm never wrong!
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

George Stoia also reported that Kinzie Hansen and Tiare Jennings will be Co-captains this year

and Eric Bailey also reported that Nicole May Will likely start since she is "the Matriarch" of the staff.
aka Crimson47
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

I suppose the battle for 2B is apparently between Lilio, Hodge, and Torres.
aka Crimson47
Bricklayer

Post by Bricklayer »

Man….PG certainly knows more than me about this, I just thought Jennings natural spot was 2nd.

Time will tell….I think this says more about those we thought were gonna play short than anything else.

Can’t wait to watch it work itself out once the games start

I think you can’t go wrong with Jennings and Hansen as co captains. Love it
waddy's ghost

Post by waddy's ghost »

Can hardly wait for thursday .
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Bricklayer wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:53 pm Man….PG certainly knows more than me about this, I just thought Jennings natural spot was 2nd.

Time will tell….I think this says more about those we thought were gonna play short than anything else.

Can’t wait to watch it work itself out once the games start

I think you can’t go wrong with Jennings and Hansen as co captains. Love it
Jennings has owned 2B for so long, I think we all thought that.
But if I remember correctly, I believe Jennings was a SS all through HS and Travel Ball.

we may see some moving around as we get into the season, but at least we've got a lay of the land going into Thursday.
I'm also guessing Torres has the inside track for 2B....but could be way off there too....
aka Crimson47
ousbfan

Post by ousbfan »

The report and video of PG talking about the first 3 weeks of the season.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/ou ... r-BB1hPiFz
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

I must admit, I heard what Coach Gasso said in her pre-season interview a bit differently. Here are my takes.
  • She said we need all six arms in the bullpens. She talked of starters, middle inning pitcher and finishing pitchers. Based upon that, I would guess now that none of the pitchers red-shirt. It will be interesting watching this play out in the season. So who are the starters, the middle and the finishers? We will see.
  • She said, "I think" Jennings is the shortstop. Then she said that Brito is just too good of a 3B to move. OK.....that was not saying that Jennings WAS and IS GOING to be the shortstop. She said "I think". It is almost like she is trying to talk herself into playing Jennings at SS. She also said that Lilio, Hodge and Torrez were candidates at 2B and that Hodge was a SS. I believe we will see lots of movement at SS and 2B this season with Brito entrenched at 3B.
  • She said that Sanders is the starter at 1B.
  • Of course she said Hansen is the Catcher with a good backup in Ludlam. She likes Ludlam's bat also.
  • She talked about Coleman in CF and Parker's bat being in the lineup and talked about the OF. Then she talked about Torrez, Pickering, Coor and Boone. I think Parker lands at DP more than the OF, but it sounds like we will Parker in the OF at least some (maybe when Ludlam catches and Hansen is in the DP). But it sounds like 4 players may be in the mix in the OF.
  • As I think we knew, McEnroe-Marinas is the only red-shirt.
We will see many different lineups in 2024, I think. Things will settle in probably after the first three weeks of play.

In a subsequent press conference with Coleman and Brito, Brito did talk about playing 3B besides Jennings as Batbusters and that they were comfortable with playing besides each other. I think Hansen was behind the plate on that team and May was in the circle also.

She also said that the team will not be IN Love's Field until mid-April. They will just play in Love's Field until then. That is a bit disappointing to me. I know construction takes time, but I guess it will be what it is.

Those are my takeaways from the presser.

Thursday at 10:30 AM CST is now about 52 hours away. The season will be here quickly.

Boomer Sooner!
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Thanks for posting your takeaways on Coach Gasso's PC last night.

Even though she phrased it " I'm thinking Jennings is the shortstop" leaving the door open a tiny crack for some late maneuvering, there does seem to be a bit more verbal traffic about Jennings at short--like when Brito talks about her playing short in travel ball and they worked well together side by side that way.
So who's on 2nd?
Who's in LF/RF?
Does May get the start? If so, does she pitch enough innings to get the win? (Assuming we win, of course.)
aka Crimson47
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Does the team leave today to fly down to PV? Wonder if Plank will be on the same flight?
aka Crimson47
TN Sooner

Post by TN Sooner »

On TRow’s Ref show this morning, he said they were bussing to Dallas today and flying to Mexico from there tomorrow. Seems odd - but maybe connections don’t work out of OKC.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

TN Sooner wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:46 pm On TRow’s Ref show this morning, he said they were bussing to Dallas today and flying to Mexico from there tomorrow. Seems odd - but maybe connections don’t work out of OKC.
That actually makes sense to me. Dallas to PV will be a non-stop direct flight.
You can do it from Okla City but it will be at least a plane change, if not an airline change too, and there's too much risk for lost luggage/equipment to do that.
Thanks for the update. Sounds good.
aka Crimson47
The Far Journey

Post by The Far Journey »

TropicalSooner wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:59 am Thanks for posting your takeaways on Coach Gasso's PC last night.

Even though she phrased it " I'm thinking Jennings is the shortstop" leaving the door open a tiny crack for some late maneuvering, there does seem to be a bit more verbal traffic about Jennings at short--like when Brito talks about her playing short in travel ball and they worked well together side by side that way.
So who's on 2nd?
Who's in LF/RF?
Does May get the start? If so, does she pitch enough innings to get the win? (Assuming we win, of course.)
No, Who's on first, What's on second, and I don't know is on third. Sorry Tropical Sooner. I just had to do it.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

LOL.....

:big_grin:
aka Crimson47