Surprise Softball Scrimmage at 4 PM on Friday Night: What's new?

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
OUBeliever56A

Surprise Softball Scrimmage at 4 PM on Friday Night: What's new?

Post by OUBeliever56A »

There was a Oklahoma Softball scrimmage on Friday night at Marita Hynes at 4 PM. It was another "Battle Series" formatted scrimmage. I did not keep score, I did not really take any notes. I just watched. What was evident to me from watching the scrimmage is that the new "pitch clock" is going to change the game. Maybe it will change the game too much. More on that later.

Here is the what the Sooner fans want to know, I think.

Players that did not dress for the game:
  • Nellian McEnroe-Marinas. It is not her knee that kept her out of uniform, it is her left arm. She was wearing one of the hard 'slings" like people wear that had rotator cuff surgery or some sort of ligament or joint issue in the shoulder. There is no doubt, NellieMac is redshirting.
Players that did not bat:
  • Maya Bland. She had a velcro wrist bandage on her right wrist. She did play in the outfield and she did run the bases during the scrimmage, but she did not hit. It looked like she could not throw the ball at full-strength last night.
Players returning from fall injuries:
  • Cydney Sanders was dressed and she played. She was wearing a knee brace and she did move a little slower at first base but she was playing and she was hitting. I saw a little bit of pre-game batting practice and Sanders hit one way over the LC Field bleachers out into the grass beyond. I would say that Alynah Torrez hit the ball well in BP also as she hit 2 HRs. I would also say that Torrez looked to be very much in playing shape. She is a little thinner and looks 'ripped'.
  • Karlie Keeney was dressed and pitched. I cannot say I remembered her pitching motion at all from last year. It is a very quick motion and she does certainly throw hard enough. She had good control and looked more comfortable in the circle that any other pitcher I think (time clock again).
Players that were not at the game:
  • Jayda Coleman. No clue as to why. No worry as to why. No speculation is needed at all. End of story in my mind.
From memory:
Catcher - Hansen and Ludlum. I will say that Ludlam looked much better behind the plate. She threw out three base stealers I believe (Coor, Hodge and Brito). There was a double steal play where the ball went from catcher to second base (Jennings took the throw as the SS) and back to home plate with the catcher making a nice sweep tag on Lilio. I think that was Ludlam but it might have been Hansen.

1st Base - Sanders, Parker and I think Ludlam.

2nd Base - Jennings, Lilio, Hodge and Torrez.

SS - Jennings and Brito.

3rd Base - Brito, Torrez and Lilio

Left Field - Pickering, Coor and Bland

Center Field - Boone and Pickering

Right Field - Coor, Pickering, Parker, Torrez, Hodge and Lilio

Pitcher - Maxwell, May, Deal, Keeney, Monticelli and Geurin

There were two HRs hit. Boone off Deal, and Parker off Maxwell. Someone got a big 2 out hit with the bases loaded for 2 RBIs. i am sorry that I do not remember who picked up that hit.

Good defensive plays:
Torrez made a nice play on a bunt by Hodge where she fielded the bunt and tossed the ball to Hansen for a tag out at home plate on the runner moving on the pitch.
Torrez made a nice play a step or two to her left at 3B and threw out the runner at first base.
Brito made a nice play at 3B.
Lilio made a nice play to her right at 2B to field a ground ball and get the force at first base.
I mentioned the double steal play above that was nice.
Deal, May and May fielded their position well and picked off ground balls for outs at first base.
Sanders made a nice pick on a short hop throw at 1B.

Poor plays: On a ground ball back to the pitcher, the SS and the 2B was unsure of who was covering and the pitcher had to double pump the throw to 2B allowing the runner to move up. I think it was Jennings at SS and Hodge at 2B. Normally the SS catches that throw.

It was a low key scrimmage. There were no more than 50 fans there. You might ask how it came about to be able to be there. I do not know. I got an email that referenced the Coaches Luncheon on Wednesday as the reason I was invited. I know a couple of fans who was not at the Coaches Luncheon that got an email invite. One was a Trophy Club member, one was not. So, I do not know why I was able to be there, but I was there promptly and very glad to be there. I will say this though. Most people at the events like the Coaches Luncheon are not regular fans at the games. While I do not know every fan by any means, I would say that Wednesday there were maybe 40-50 regular attendees to games at Marita Hynes out of the 320 or so people at the Luncheon. There are people that give dollars to the program and yet do not go to the games. There are people that go to games and give a little money. There are die-hard fans that go to the games. It does take all three sets today to support a program.

NOW, let's discuss the pitch clock. It is a change and it may be significant. As I understand it, by the way it was implemented yesterday and after a brief discussion from the umpires,this is how I think it works. BTW, it takes one person in the press box doing nothing but this.
  • Initially the 'pitch clock' starts on a signal to the pitcher each inning. The clock was visible underneath the scoreboard at Marita Hynes. The 'pitch clock' display will be something that needs to be found before the first pitch each game. On the signal from the umpire, the clock starts at 20 and counts down. The batter has to have both feet in the box by the time the clock reaches "10". If the batter does not have both feet in the box, a 'Strike" is called on the batter. As the clock continues to count down, the pitcher has to 'start her delivery or break her hands' (remove the ball from her glove) before the clock hits "0". If the pitcher does not do that, it is a called "Ball".
  • After any foul ball of when a ball is put in play, the umpire behind the plate will signal the 'pitch clock' to start again.
  • After the first pitch of the inning, when the ball is returned to the pitcher by the catcher (hits the pitcher's glove), the 20 second 'pitch clock' starts. This is where it gets interesting. The first ten seconds goes by quickly, or at least it seemed it did yesterday. To get the batter in the box with one foot, and look to the coach for the signal of three numbers, look at her wrist band for the play, take a deep breath and step with both feet in the box ready to hit is quick. Very quick. There is no take three steps out of the box, hold the bat up and think, take a deep breath, then step back into the box, take the sign - opps - a "Strike" was just called on you. It is very quick.
  • Then the pitcher, at some point gets the sign for the pitch. OU is doing this with an 'watch display' method. Coach Rocha puts in some sort of indiction, on her device and that pitch selection is displayed on a watch-like device that all the infielders and the pitchers are looking at. At that point, the pitcher prepares to pitch and the catcher settles in. Five (5) seconds are gone if they wait until the batter is ready. Then you have five seconds for the pitcher to toe-the-pitcher's plate, go through whatever delivery the pitcher has and break those hands. There were several times last night I saw "0" on the clock was close to "0". There were no ''balls" called last night, but there was one "strike" called.
  • IWIK (I wish I knew) what happens when a pitch is thrown just as the umpire throws up their hands hands and yells "strike" as the clock hits zero with a runner stealing third and the catcher throws the ball away down the line resulting in a run scoring. Was the ball dead? Does the umpire throw up their hands on the pitch or after the pitch? The game does not need more confusion.
This is going to really rush hitters. Some hitters will have to change their hitting routine. Do you remember that long pause that Hansen took with 2 strikes facing Cagle in Game 2 of the Supers. That will not be allowed this year, it will be "Strike 3" this year. It is going to rush the coaches to give those three signs and the batter get ready. The coaches have to know as soon as the pitch is received at home plate what play is going to be called on the next pitch. If a sign is missed, there is no do-over time. I think that maybe the batter can no longer ask for time if I read what happened last night correctly. The coach might have to do that. The batter has ten free seconds to get ready. After that the pitch can be delivered on the 11th second. In fact, I can see that as a viable strategy to disrupt batters. If a pitcher is ready to start her windup at 11, she can effectively 'quick pitch' many hitters I believe or at least rush a hitter.

Do you remember the Gabbie Plain (Washington) windup? She could not pitch in 2024 with that windup. Even Jordy Bahl will be rushed I think. The leaning in towards the hitter with her right arm swinging for 2 oe 3 seconds as she focuses on her pitch, probably has to go away or it has to start before the batter has the signal from the base coach. Some pitchers catch the ball from the catcher and then strolls back behind the pitcher's plate out of the circle and than walks back to the pitcher's plate to get the sign, no more probably. Sandercock of FSU comes to mind. The game is now going to be very quickly between pitches. In big moments, like the Hansen HR, the time will just overtake the drama and perhaps the play. I found myself constantly checking the clock. It was bothering me as a fan last night. I think the pitching coach has to call the pitch before or at the same time that the offensive signal is given to the batter. If the pitching coach waits, the time is wasted. To give three signals, twice most of the time, and them proceed takes time. I think the "watch method' saves time. Important time.

What will be the result of this new rule to speed up the game. (I will not go into the discussion about the time between pitches is not the reason for the length of games increasing.) In my opinion, it is not positive in any way. 20 seconds is simple too short. It think it will take away from the strategy and drama of the game inserting new anxiety about complying with the clock. Play-by-play will change. You can say about 10 words now between pitches. The three ladies of ESPN will have to just report balls and strikes instead talk and talk and talk.

There will likely be umpires that are 'hawks' about the rule and those that are not. There will be umpires that start the clock quickly after dead balls. I think umpires will not be consistent about starting the clock. Do you remember the Baylor catcher who walks out in front of the plate to throw the ball back to the pitcher like a dart, and then walk back behind the plate. That will likely have to change in 2024. Pitching motions have to be simplified.

I thought most hitters were not comfortable with the time they had last night. I thought all the pitchers were affected by the rule except for Keeney, She had time to go back and pick up dirt and deliver the pitch, someway. I think it will affect the stamina of the pitchers. They will throw maybe four pitchers in the same time frame as maybe 2 pitches last year if there are no foul balls or balls put in play.

Solving a problem that was not the problem, is a bad solution to start with. The 20 second clock causes another problem in my mind. The first weekend is going to be ugly some times. Coaches will complain, umpires will be the villain and players will suffer I fear.

The season is 6 days away.

Boomer Sooner!
Bixby_Sooner

Post by Bixby_Sooner »

OUBeliever56A wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:24 am ... I thought most hitters were not comfortable with the time they had last night. I thought all the pitchers were affected by the rule except for Keeney, She had time to go back and pick up dirt and deliver the pitch, someway. I think it will affect the stamina of the pitchers. They will throw maybe four pitchers in the same time frame as maybe 2 pitches last year if there are no foul balls or balls put in ...
Reading this part of your post, made me realize exactly why PG got so many top flight pitchers in the Portal. That woman is playing 3D chess while everyone else is playing checkers.

Great post. Thanks for sharing.
A commitment is NOT a reservation - Brent Venables 3/21/22
EMan

Post by EMan »

OUBeliever56A wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:24 am Solving a problem that was not the problem, is a bad solution to start with.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it! I didn't have any big issues with the time between pitches. However, I will say there were some batters that I thought needed to speed up the process somewhat. I remember Mackenzie Donihoo would walk almost back to the dugout after every pitch it seemed before stepping back into the box. I don't have a big issue with that sort of thing being addressed, but I'll agree, with all the signals that are sent in, 20 seconds seems a little quick. Sure hope this doesn't turn out to be an instance of ruining something that wasn't really a problem.

And thanks for the report!
I may not always be right, but I'm never wrong!
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

Dang! I was really looking forward to softball season. Now, we might have both a squishy ball problem, AND a Keystone Cops set of rules to implement and follow...never a dull(translation: relaxed) moment!

This sorta *isses me off.
Last edited by inconnu on Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
oufanforever

Post by oufanforever »

Some additional comments to the amazing summary from OUBeliever56

The score was
team 1: 0
team 2: 1
team 3: 5

Team 1 had Hodge, Jennings, Sanders, and Ludlam
Team 2 had Boone, Brito, Pickering, and Torres
Team 3 had Coor, Parker, Hansen, and Lilio

May got out of a bases loaded, no out jam to start the game. Boone hit HR in her first at bat off Deal, Parker scored from second on a Lilio ground ball up the middle just sneaking past a diving Hodge. Team 3 had a big inning where they scored 4 runs off Maxwell. Parker hit a lead off solo HR, Hansen singled and 2 walks loaded the bases. Another walk scored a run and Coor followed with a 2 run single. Rain started and stopped during this inning and it could have affected Maxwell’s control. She pitched much better the next half inning. Overall I thought the pitchers were effective throughout the scrimmage other than that half inning.

Regarding the pitching clock, there always has been a rule, and it was just not enforced without the visible clock. I think it will take some time to adjust to but won’t be a big deal at the end.
1KCSoonerFan

Post by 1KCSoonerFan »

Were any specific reasons given for why the pitch clock was put in play this year? And why 20 seconds?

Part of the charm of the game is the pace of play - more relaxed and not frantic. I never thought the pace of play was a problem, and I have never heard any softball fan complain about the time it takes to play a game. In fact, with 7 innings played instead of 9, the contest already felt shorter to me. And your point, '56, about watching the clock, rather than the game, is a great one.

I value and cherish those BIG moments, when the game catches its breath; when it is all on the line; when the pitcher takes an extra walk around the circle, hits the rosin bag, and takes a hopeful look around at the defense; when the batter steps out of the box, takes a couple practice swings, rubs a little dirt into her gloves, and digs in to face that 3-2 count with two outs and runners in scoring position. That IS the drama of sports at its best! Those moments when time Expands are when the magic happens.

Now, it may look more like a coin-operated batting cage, where a 'machine' is just spitting balls: X-number of pitches for a dollars-worth of time. Please don't make a vending machine out of a very beautiful game!

It feels like this rule is about something other than the player's and fan's experiences. Not being conspiratorial, just really scratching my head about it.

Seems like, if you wanted a pitch clock, the amount of time between pitches must be 'base-lined' with historical data....then a variety of between-pitch times tested to see what issues it may cause for good or ill. Was this done? I don't know. It doesn't seem like a majority of D1 softball coaches were all clamoring for this new rule. Is there any transparency to these decisions?

So, like an NFL coach in an important game with the snap clock counting down, coaches call time out with one second to go? I would assume so.

Will coaches discover 'sneaky' ways to play 'clock games'? I would assume so. What about coaches' challenges to the time calls? Yep.

We will lose out on watching some great athletes playing at their best because their particular skill set optimally performs at 21 second intervals.

I guess we'll see how the Sooners adapt. Sounds like they have been on this for awhile since I recall news of the pitchers wearing wristband devices awhile ago. (And would it not be deliciously ironic if this rule was implemented to disadvantage OU, and it turns out being a format we are even better at than the old one?!!!)
oufanforever

Post by oufanforever »

There was a 25 second pitch rule in softball but was not enforced at all. So this season they shortened it to 20 seconds and asked for visible clock so umpires can better enforce this rule. Based on the interviews I heard with coaches about this rule change, it is generally positively received.
AustinTXSooner

Post by AustinTXSooner »

OUBeliever56A wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:24 am The three ladies of ESPN will have to just report balls and strikes instead talk and talk and talk.
The way TV announcing is going, they'll choose the talk and talk and talk instead of balls and strikes.

Fans never complain about how long games are...it's the TV networks. They want the games to fit in a box. I remember Bob Stoops commenting about it when they made some timing changes in college football a number of years ago.

Question. If a batter is walked, does the 20 seconds start when the pitcher gets the ball? That would mean that the on-deck batter would need to walk up to the batter's box, get the sign, and be ready in 10 seconds.
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

AustinTXSooner wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:49 am
OUBeliever56A wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:24 am The three ladies of ESPN will have to just report balls and strikes instead talk and talk and talk.
The way TV announcing is going, they'll choose the talk and talk and talk instead of balls and strikes.

Fans never complain about how long games are...it's the TV networks. They want the games to fit in a box. I remember Bob Stoops commenting about it when they made some timing changes in college football a number of years ago.

Question. If a batter is walked, does the 20 seconds start when the pitcher gets the ball? That would mean that the on-deck batter would need to walk up to the batter's box, get the sign, and be ready in 10 seconds.
I think that will qualify as a "ball in play" situation like a ground out to 3B. In that case, the '20 second clock" is initiated by the umpire when the play is over and the ball is in the pitcher's possession in the circle I think.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

I wonder if May was having trouble adjusting to the pitch clock right at first? Gave up two walks and a bloop single before she finally settled in. And if what your saying about how Keeney has such a quick delivery, she may be able to use it to her advantage and have her pitch already on the way before the batter is settled in. Maybe that's a trick our other pitchers can pick up on and use to our advantage?
aka Crimson47