Bama,s future

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
Fly

Bama,s future

Post by Fly »

With Sabine leaving, who replaces him, is the million dollar Question. I think the timing of this with the way college has changed had
So much to do with him leaving right now. Barry always said, (It is not the X & O,s it is the Jimmy & Joes that makes great teams).
I think he was spot on in his thinking for the most point. Football with the transfer thing has changed college football for ever. We
All remember the OU, Nebraska, & Texass having huge amounts of talent siting on the bench. Player went down during a game, &
a great program just pulled another from the bench, & the game on with out a hick up. Some time the player coming was better in
Games. I saw that at a OSU game years back. Thurman Thomas went down with a injury, as this little Freshman came in & did better
then Thurman. That little running back was a kid named Barry Sanders!😂 Team could load there benches with great talent. Today
many do not want to wait there turn, so they transfer. Coach’s like Sabine know that. Remember J Hurts transferring to OU. Yes it
Isa different day In time. Like the Ole saying quit when you on top & you will be remembered in a better 💡.

🪰Fly :BV: :ou:
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

Before NIL and the portal the playing field was tilted towards Bamas favor due to the dynasty saban built… players wanted to go there when recruited out of HS and that was that. Now they can leave when they find out they will not play , and furthermore NIL makes other teams look just as attractive to HS kids because every team is paying….

Saban had a great run, Then the rules changed……Bama goes into a tailspin…… :eyes:
Last edited by Zgeo on Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
captnop

Post by captnop »

If the interwebs are to be believed Lanning is in Tuscaloosa at the moment. There's the immediate future. Saban wanted to go back to when only Bama and a few other schools were paying players.
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

Dan Lanning has a $20 million buyout but hey Bama probably has that in their recruiting budget…….

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/ ... r-AA1mO9oP

But the reality is that unless the next Bama HC wins 6 NCs he will be regarded as a poor replacement essentially a failure

The odds of the next HC at Bama winning 6 NCs is exactly 0.00000000000000000000000000001
gcruse7

Post by gcruse7 »

I just read where Lanning said that he is staying at Oregon.

Next up!
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." Jim Elliot
cushcreekmont

Post by cushcreekmont »

I saw reports that Belichick is out at NE - Another spot for tbow to beg for. Upheaval in college coaching just starting....
texsa sucks!
AllSooner

Post by AllSooner »

One thing that I learned in the corporate world, never take over a site that was doing really well....always go for the ones that have room for development. Otherwise, you'll find out that you can never be as good as the one that left.
JoeSooner

Post by JoeSooner »

I certainly don't blame Saban for leaving, he's 72 and being a coach today, especially with the high expectations he created has to be a draining job.

I've only been to a game at Alabama once, in '03 when we pulled off the infamous fake punt and won a close game. Their fans were very friendly at that time, as they'd been through a long drought and some drama with Franchione and others. Like our own fanbase, they've now got a lot of obnoxious bandwagon fans who don't remember anything other than winning. So I sort of hope they come back to earth, which makes more room for us near the top.

The expectations for the next guy are going to be tremendous. If Lanning's not coming, and Kirby has no reason to take that job, and Dabo's fallen out of favor, Lord help the next guy.
I make big plays in big games, that's all.
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

I sincerely hope the Tide rolls with Steve Sarkisian,
asap.
WishBone

Post by WishBone »

Me Too
Opinions are still "OK" ...Correct?
OU Chinaman

Post by OU Chinaman »

...me three!

You NEVER want to be the guy who follows a legend.

You want to be the guy who follows the guy who followed the legend.

(I NEVER EVER believe ANY coach who publicly claims he's not going anywhere. Hell, I remember when Saban said he was staying with the Miami Dolphins. Wouldn't cross Lanning off the list just yet.) :cool:

:ou: :ou: :ou: :rice:
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Plank had his counterpart down in Alabama on his show this morning, and it was his opinion that they will get this wrapped up very quickly---for one thing to remove the unknown of not having a head coach and reduce the chance of an exodus of players to the portal and keep recruits in line. In fact, he thought they would have a successor in place by this weekend (that would be really fast). Maybe early next week at the latest, but very soon in any case. I would expect that Saban had already notified the Admin officials earlier and contacts already been made with possible replacements so an announcement this weekend could actually come about. I agree that this is something that the folks in Bama don't want to be dragging out.....time is not on their side.
aka Crimson47
WishBone

Post by WishBone »

Bama is a tough job for"ANY "coach to say no to.
Opinions are still "OK" ...Correct?
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

WishBone wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:08 pm Bama is a tough job for"ANY "coach to say no to.
Time for an Affirmative Action coach at Alabama! "OBEAR OBAMA FOR BAMA"
captnop

Post by captnop »

Joel Klatt seems to think Kalen DeBoer is the hire. He has no dog in this hunt .. seeing Sark's name too.