Predict OU record 2024 regular season

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
Zgeo

Predict OU record 2024 regular season

Post by Zgeo »

Predict the regular season record and give reasons why….

10-2 and in the playoffs

Defensive experience returning +++. This is huge

Actually having a good FG kicker , the HS kicker from Moore +++. i expect close games and games where the red zone becomes tough for the offense ..having a reliable FG kicker from 55 yards is a game changer

Not having Big 12 refs++. big 12 admitted they stole the Okie st game

More good RB +. A 5 star and a 4 star join and both look like day one starters

BV over seeing the team more with ZA as DC++ i am hoping this decreases penalties and turnovers which is what lost the bowl after the bowl was essentially won , penalties have been high the last 2 years, TO have been an issue….

The SOS is top ten so we really have to be better on TO, penalties and FG to achieve 10-2….which games are losses IDK……

:BV: :BV: :BV: :ou: :ou: :rice: :rice:
OU Chinaman

Post by OU Chinaman »

...I still want to see Spring Practice b4 I predict a '24 season W-L record.

But, right now today, I'll say 8-4 or 9-3.

One of my biggest concerns for Team 130 is what I perceive as a deficiency in "killer instinct"!
SOONERS seem to me to have lost a bit of their arrogance and swagger.
OKLAHOMA often gets ahead in games(Alamo Bowl is a good example) but lets an opponent hang around without applying the coup de grace.
That final dagger in the heart that breaks their will to continue.
No longer quite the Bully of days gone bye.!

Not real sure why this has become an issue, but OU's what,...3-3 the last 6 games?
Might see this corrected in 2024 by necessity in playing in the SEC.
Hope so. :cool:

:ou: :ou: :ou: :rice:
soonerindallas

Post by soonerindallas »

I think 8-4 is the most realistic. It may be 7-5.
Pokerman

Post by Pokerman »

Personally, I think all of you predicting 4-5 losses are terminally pessimistic about OU's potential next year. I also think you're giving way too much credit to an overrated SEC. JMPO.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Zgeo wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:46 am Predict the regular season record and give reasons why….

10-2 and in the playoffs

Actually having a good FG kicker , the HS kicker from Moore +++. i expect close games and games where the red zone becomes tough for the offense ..having a reliable FG kicker from 55 yards is a game changer

BV over seeing the team more with ZA as DC++ i am hoping this decreases penalties and turnovers which is what lost the bowl after the bowl was essentially won , penalties have been high the last 2 years, TO have been an issue….

The SOS is top ten so we really have to be better on TO, penalties and FG to achieve 10-2….which games are losses IDK……

Here's who I see as potential thorns in our side in the SEC:
Georgia
Alabama
LSU
Ole Miss
and maybe Missouri

Those all will be tough outs I believe. And next year, we play 4 of 'em.

Our defense should be improved next year, and being in the 3rd year of BV, should be close to excellent. So to me, the key to our success lays in large part to our Offensive Line. WR's we should be fine. QB will be fine too. RB's should be great. Kicking game will definitely be improved. D line should be good, LB's excellent. If the secondary can nail down some pass defense over the middle, then we should be able to keep pace with most anybody in the SEC IF we have a good enough O Line to blow people off the LOS.

Since we really have no idea how the O Line will shape up for next year.....I'll just throw 9-3 out there just to play. That would include either beating Bama in Norman, or winning one of LSU/Ole Miss/Missou on the road. If both happens, we're probably in the playoffs.

After we get done in the portal, and see how the new freshmen learn the offense, then my #'s may be revised.....but that's how I see it for now.
aka Crimson47
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

TropicalSooner wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 4:45 pm
Zgeo wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:46 am Predict the regular season record and give reasons why….

10-2 and in the playoffs

Here's who I see as potential thorns in our side in the SEC:
Georgia
Alabama
LSU
Ole Miss
and maybe Missouri

Those all will be tough outs I believe. And next year, we play 4 of 'em.

Our defense should be improved next year, and being in the 3rd year of BV, should be close to excellent. So to me, the key to our success lays in large part to our Offensive Line. WR's we should be fine. QB will be fine too. RB's should be great. Kicking game will definitely be improved. D line should be good, LB's excellent. If the secondary can nail down some pass defense over the middle, then we should be able to keep pace with most anybody in the SEC IF we have a good enough O Line to blow people off the LOS.

Since we really have no idea how the O Line will shape up for next year.....I'll just throw 9-3 out there just to play. That would include either beating Bama in Norman, or winning one of LSU/Ole Miss/Missou on the road. If both happens, we're probably in the playoffs.

After we get done in the portal, and see how the new freshmen learn the offense, then my #'s may be revised.....but that's how I see it for now.
I thin texass will be tougher than the 5 you mentioned….
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

point taken.
They are a thorn in our side so often I went right by them.
I do believe they graduate a lot of players which might help our cause for next year. If I'm wrong about that feel free to correct me.
But generally speaking, yeah, they are in that list.
I'm still going to stay with 9-3 tho.
aka Crimson47
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

TropicalSooner wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:50 pm point taken.
They are a thorn in our side so often I went right by them.
I do believe they graduate a lot of players which might help our cause for next year. If I'm wrong about that feel free to correct me.
But generally speaking, yeah, they are in that list.
I'm still going to stay with 9-3 tho.
They get Evers back the other details IDK…

We beat texass, texass beat Bama, Bama beat Georgia, they all beat Miss nd LSU, so i think we are right there with the top of the SEC when we dont have TOS and penalties……. My 2 losses were more of ‘things happen ‘ than picking 2 teams better than the Sooners…..LSU loses JaydenD, Jackson Dart is ok not great, the kid at Georgia is ok, Milroy well you have seen him, so the one returning QB that is good is Ewers…

:ou: :rice: :ou: :BV: :BV: :rice: :rice:
Last edited by Zgeo on Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
soonerTroll2

Post by soonerTroll2 »

The real question is what OU's conference record will be? 4-4 is very possible, 7-1 is best case scenario.
WishBone

Post by WishBone »

MIne thoughts:

Houston W good early first game ;should be an easy warm up for week 2 Sooners Win Big at Home 1-0
Tulane W Tulane is not gonna be the old Tulane of two years ago.....Sooners Win Big at Home 2-0
Tennessee W First big SEC test but Sooner have the advantage at Home 3-0
Auburn L One of the toughest SEC schools to play on the road,just Ask Saban first Loss of '24 3-1
Texas W As usual a tossup but Arnold should be gettin the kinks worked out and timing with recievers startin to Gel and tx still Sucks 4-1
South Carolina W Tough Game but sooners Should Prevail,'Cocks with a new QB this year. 5-1
Ole Miss L Tough Game in the Grove,coupled with I think Ole Miss is in the SEC Championship Game in 2024.(JMO) 5-2
Maine W Nice Cupcake Game (SEC Style) in the latter part of the season....Blowout! 6-2
Missouri W Good Missouri Team,but history says Sooners win,,,Tough Game Though 7-2
Bama W JA by now will have the offense cooking and We let Bama knoiw theres a new Sherrif in town ! 8-2
LSU L ANother possible SEC title Contender (LSU) will be tough especially if its a nite game. 8-3

8-3 for the season with a Playoff chance.
Opinions are still "OK" ...Correct?
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

WishBone wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:35 am My thoughts:

Temple W should be a win in the first game of the season. 1-0
Houston W good early first game; should be an easy warm up for week 3 Sooners Win Big at Home 2-0
Tulane W Tulane is not gonna be the old Tulane of two years ago.....Sooners Win Big at Home 3-0
Tennessee W First big SEC test but Sooner have the advantage at Home 4-0
Auburn L One of the toughest SEC schools to play on the road,just Ask Saban first Loss of '24 4-1
Texas W As usual a tossup but Arnold should be getting the kinks worked out and timing with receivers starting to Gel and tx still Sucks 5-1
South Carolina W Tough Game but sooners Should Prevail,'Cocks with a new QB this year. 6-1
Ole Miss L Tough Game in the Grove,coupled with I think Ole Miss is in the SEC Championship Game in 2024.(JMO) 6-2
Maine W Nice Cupcake Game (SEC Style) in the latter part of the season....Blowout! 7-2
Missouri W Good Missouri Team,but history says Sooners win,,,Tough Game Though 8-2
Bama W JA by now will have the offense cooking and We let Bama knows there's a new Sheriff in town ! 9-2
LSU L ANother possible SEC title Contender (LSU) will be tough especially if its a nite game. 9-3

9-3 for the season with a Playoff chance.
I think this is a pretty good listing of the games. But it left out the first game of the season against Temple. So I added it above.

But realistically, there is alot of hope and praying for the best things to happen.

#1 reason I disagree with the 9-3 record.
Even if I agreed with the 9-3 records shown above, every year for a while, the Sooners have lost a game they should have won each year since probably 2020.
2023 - pick one, Kansas or OSU
2022 - pick one, Baylor,WV, Texas Tech
2021 - pick one, Baylor, OSU
2020 - pick one, K-State, I-State

I think that will happen again in 2024. Pick a game, Tennessee, Missouri. (I would add LSU, Auburn and Ole Miss - into this category of teams. Of those five games, can OU go 2-3 as shown here, yes they can. But they can also go 1-4. At best 3-2.) I think 1-4 is where the Sooners end up. The record is now 8-4.

#2 reason I disagree.
OU will not defeat both of Texas and Alabama. Just do not see it. Now the record is 7-5.

#3 reason I disagree.
While I think Jackson Arnold will be pretty good. He has a long way to go to be as good as Gabriel was in 2022 or 2023. A long way. He might be there by the end of the year, but not in week 5 or 6 or 7. It will take some time for him for a new Co-OC and a new play caller to jell.

#4 reason.
There is that OU O-Line that has to be rebuilt.

#5 reason.
I see the defense as still a work-in-progress effort for the Sooners. Now with a new "DC" in the fold, how does that work out? I am not sure how much Roof contributed to the build up of the defense, but what he did add has to be replaced. If Venables takes more control of the defense, what suffers with his lack of attention?

#6 reason.
Special Teams. They have to get much better. I hear the kicker from high school is supposed to be good. But let's see it first.
OUGENO

Post by OUGENO »

OUBeliever56A wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:57 am
WishBone wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:35 am My thoughts:

Temple W should be a win in the first game of the season. 1-0
Houston W good early first game; should be an easy warm up for week 3 Sooners Win Big at Home 2-0
Tulane W Tulane is not gonna be the old Tulane of two years ago.....Sooners Win Big at Home 3-0
Tennessee W First big SEC test but Sooner have the advantage at Home 4-0
Auburn L One of the toughest SEC schools to play on the road,just Ask Saban first Loss of '24 4-1
Texas W As usual a tossup but Arnold should be getting the kinks worked out and timing with receivers starting to Gel and tx still Sucks 5-1
South Carolina W Tough Game but sooners Should Prevail,'Cocks with a new QB this year. 6-1
Ole Miss L Tough Game in the Grove,coupled with I think Ole Miss is in the SEC Championship Game in 2024.(JMO) 6-2
Maine W Nice Cupcake Game (SEC Style) in the latter part of the season....Blowout! 7-2
Missouri W Good Missouri Team,but history says Sooners win,,,Tough Game Though 8-2
Bama W JA by now will have the offense cooking and We let Bama knows there's a new Sheriff in town ! 9-2
LSU L ANother possible SEC title Contender (LSU) will be tough especially if its a nite game. 9-3

9-3 for the season with a Playoff chance.
I think this is a pretty good listing of the games. But it left out the first game of the season against Temple. So I added it above.

But realistically, there is alot of hope and praying for the best things to happen.

#1 reason I disagree with the 9-3 record.
Even if I agreed with the 9-3 records shown above, every year for a while, the Sooners have lost a game they should have won each year since probably 2020.
2023 - pick one, Kansas or OSU
2022 - pick one, Baylor,WV, Texas Tech
2021 - pick one, Baylor, OSU
2020 - pick one, K-State, I-State

I think that will happen again in 2024. Pick a game, Tennessee, Missouri. (I would add LSU, Auburn and Ole Miss - into this category of teams. Of those five games, can OU go 2-3 as shown here, yes they can. But they can also go 1-4. At best 3-2.) I think 1-4 is where the Sooners end up. The record is now 8-4.

#2 reason I disagree.
OU will not defeat both of Texas and Alabama. Just do not see it. Now the record is 7-5.

#3 reason I disagree.
While I think Jackson Arnold will be pretty good. He has a long way to go to be as good as Gabriel was in 2022 or 2023. A long way. He might be there by the end of the year, but not in week 5 or 6 or 7. It will take some time for him for a new Co-OC and a new play caller to jell.

#4 reason.
There is that OU O-Line that has to be rebuilt.

#5 reason.
I see the defense as still a work-in-progress effort for the Sooners. Now with a new "DC" in the fold, how does that work out? I am not sure how much Roof contributed to the build up of the defense, but what he did add has to be replaced. If Venables takes more control of the defense, what suffers with his lack of attention?

#6 reason.
Special Teams. They have to get much better. I hear the kicker from high school is supposed to be good. But let's see it first.
I will say this makes some really good points I can very well see this happen.
RussC

Post by RussC »

“If Venables takes more control of the defense…”

I tell you, that is not a thing that is even possible.
#Mentally In Portal
Pokerman

Post by Pokerman »

RussC wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:23 am “If Venables takes more control of the defense…”

I tell you, that is not a thing that is even possible.
:D
RussC

Post by RussC »

9-3 and just miss the playoffs
#Mentally In Portal