Well that was a disappointment

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
SwampSooner

Well that was a disappointment

Post by SwampSooner »

6 turnovers? I can understand the 2 early interceptions which were due to JA's inexperience. He will learn.

The fumbles are what got me. Have 3 balls punched out of the grips of normally dependable guys. You would think they had never been tackled before.

The other thing that ticked me off was the announcers pity party because Arizona lost one offensive lineman to the portal/draft. How many did we lose- 3???

Well we got a taste of SEC referees. For the most part, they called a decent game. Do wonder about the holding calls. There were a couple that didn't deserve to be called.
Oklahombre

Post by Oklahombre »

I thought the SEC refs were excellent. I didn't see one holding call where we didn't deserve it. Two pleasant surprises are we didn't have one false start(that I remember) or any bungled snaps from our center position. The OL played well, IMO.

The turnovers killed us and I loathed those deflated (stabbed) footballs from the Zona side. It's almost as bad as Clemson erecting a tombstone after a big victory. :deadhorse:
OUcharlie

Post by OUcharlie »

On these “Transfer Portal or NFL is waiting” days the whole Bowl Season is a complete joke in which only CFP games are seriously taken by elite players.
I really believe we could win this game if we run the ball like 2nd Qtr play, with Sawchuk getting a lot of yards behind a depleted OL which was a great surprise last night. Not taking care of the football was a costly mistake so many times last night and obviously the holding calls by the OLinemen.
Defense played pretty well and was always on Arizona backfield, giving a lot of hell to Fifita. On long Passing plays they were beaten by WR #4 McMillan very often. Cowing #2 just beat the safety on that long run after catch.
Arnold was in long passing downs at the end because of the holding calls and seems like Zona pass coverage was outstanding since the QB can’t find anyone open. The run game was a better formula to kept their defense honest. TEs were not targeted on passing downs.

WE lost that game…
Last edited by OUcharlie on Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
"They would run us up, and they would run us back, and they would run us up. I tell you, people were tossing their cookies left and right. Gosh almighty. I hung in there. I was determined to stay the course." - Prentice Gautt.
OU Chinaman

Post by OU Chinaman »

...I did not see this coming!
For the first time since Venables was hired, I realize just how bad the roster talent had fallen under Mulesh*t.
I thought at the time it was a 2-3 year rebuild.
NOW, I know it's more like a 5-6 year reclamation project. :boohoo:

In the 3rd quarter it was 24-13. OU was in the red zone, threatening to score...feeling good about the game, about to go up 31-13.
Then an 87 yd fumble return for a TD completely turned the outcome to the Wildcats.
I knew in my gut right then, that OKLAHOMA was going to lose this game.
Turned it off, went to bed. :surrender:

For the first time...I don't have ANY sunshine to pump!
For the first time..I 'm feeling a lot of angst heading to the SEC.
For the first time...this "wedge of doubt" has entered my awareness about whether Venables CAN in fact restore what Riley left for dead.

Certainly not throwing in the towel here, but at the same time the new reality of the Portal and NIL has hit home with me like a cold slap in the face.
Like the rock song says,
"You will come to know...when the bullet hits the bone."

The excellent recruiting Venables and his staff are doing will pay dividends down the road. :bow:
Think that's a given.

But will it be Venables and his staff that reap the benefits of their recruiting prowess...or another HC and his? :cool:

(Bracing myself for a potentially very disappointing start to the SEC era next Fall.)

:ou: :ou: :ou: :rice:
Pokerman

Post by Pokerman »

We got off to a rocky start in the first quarter.
We completely outplayed them in the second and third quarter (until that disastrous fumble at the end of Q3).
We unraveled like a cheap suit in the fourth quarter.
So it wasn't ALL bad.

That last quarter should be an huge indicator to the coaches who they can count on next year and who they can't.
This spring and summer gives them a chance to integrate some of the new talent they have recruited and plug those holes.
I too had high hopes for this game but not too surprised some of our old problems resurfaced.
This team was better than last year's team. Next year's team will be better than this year's. How much better? We'll just have to wait and see.

All this talk of replacing Venables and other coaches at this point is crazy talk.
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

Pokerman wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:56 am We got off to a rocky start in the first quarter.
We completely outplayed them in the second and third quarter (until that disastrous fumble at the end of Q3).
We unraveled like a cheap suit in the fourth quarter.
So it wasn't ALL bad.

That last quarter should be an huge indicator to the coaches who they can count on next year and who they can't.
This spring and summer gives them a chance to integrate some of the new talent they have recruited and plug those holes.
I too had high hopes for this game but not too surprised some of our old problems resurfaced.
This team was better than last year's team. Next year's team will be better than this year's. How much better? We'll just have to wait and see.

All this talk of replacing Venables and other coaches at this point is crazy talk.
Spot on….rocky start by OU , then domination by OU , then OU unravelled. Middle of the game i thought we would win. But they started hammering our WR and knocked the ball loose. We need tougher stronger bigger WR. NA is good need more guys like him, fewer of the smaller guys….

Disappointed that we had 6 turnovers. We won all the stats by a large margin. If there were 3 turnover we would have won.. 4 turnovers and we still could win, but 6 turnovers is a loss…..

There were some good things, the sacks by our defense, the catches by Nick and Brennan, OU 201 yards rushing versus AZ 29 yards rushing…overall passing by JA…

:BV: :BV: :BV: :ou: :ou: :ou: :rice: :rice: :rice:
Last edited by Zgeo on Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fly

Post by Fly »

What we need is a running game. This is the first time I can remember we have no running game. The only so called running back
we have can not keep the ball from being punched out of his hands.Is he not being coached to protect the ball.We must be the
the worst college football team I have seen this year on protecting the ball. How many times have I heard BV say that, we must
Improve on turning the ball over. That,s on the offense coaching staff to eliminate that. When it continues over & over, you will
continue to lost games.I challenge anyone to name another team that is worst at turning the ball over. JA will improve, but the fumbles
& so on is my concern. I seems to happen on drives we doing well & hoping to score. 🙄.

🪰Fly :BV:
Brisket

Post by Brisket »

While I didn't expect 6 turnovers, that game went largely as I expected...

The Good
  • OU weathered the early storm pretty well. AZ had virtually no opt outs (more on that below), they had hyped this game up as their championship & a program-defining momentum game. Combine that w/ a brand new QB for OU & a mix-and-match OL, you knew AZ was going to come out with a lot of emotion & playing with their collective hair on fire. Don't think Littrell or OU put JA in the best position to succeed early, as you could tell the game was going too fast for him mentally, but after Q1, the whole team seemed to settle in & adjust.
  • Sawchuk - Every game he is reminding me more & more of Kennedy Brooks. His patience & vision have developed into real strengths for him. Hoping he adds a little shiftiness &/or top-end speed this offseason. If Tatum is as good as his hype & recruiting rankings say he is, he & Sawchuk can become a really strong 1-2 run-game punch next season.
  • Jackson Arnold's development. The arm talent is there; the speed & athleticism are there. We got glimpses of both last night. Here's hoping we see it with more & more consistency next season.
  • DL & front 6/7 Pressure - For much of the game, especially in Q2 & Q3, OU was absolutely POUNDING the AZ QB. Not just pressures, but big-time hits & sacks on him. Of course, that disappeared late in the game, but they did really well for 2+ quarters.
The Bad
  • Q1 & Q4 Defense - For as much as I expected difficulties on offense due to opt outs, I expected MUCH MUCH more from the defense due to the lack thereof. They had everyone coming back & playing, but they looked absolutely lost in Q1. Then in Q4, OU punted to pin AZ at their own 5. Down 7, when they absolutely had to have a stop & get the ball back in good field position for the offense with time to tie the game, the defense cratered & allowed a 95 yard TD drive.
  • Cornerbacks & Secondary - did any player get within 5 yards of #4 for AZ last night? Whereas OU WRs seemed to be blanketed by the AZ secondary most of the night, AZ WRs consistently had tons of space between them & the OU secondary.
  • RBs not named Sawchuk - I appreciate all that Walker has done this season, but he entered the portal. To me, that says "I'd rather play anywhere else but OU." Why was he on the field last night? Where was Hicks? Where was Barnes? In a game that was really only about development for next season, why did walker play, but neither of the others?
Questions for the Future
  • OL for Next Season & Beyond - Hope Bedenbaugh can piece it together for next season, but something has to be done in the OL room. Relying so heavily on transfers year after year is not a long-term recipe for success. Next season has the potential to be UGLY for the OL considering the step-up in opposing defenses they will face. Recruiting, developing, & keeping high-school OL talent has got to be a priority for this staff going forward.
  • DL Development - OU loses a lot of players on the DL. They have several highly ranked prospects coming in this class. They've got to back that up in each class going forward.
  • How prepared is the OU fanbase for the team to possibly not be bowl eligible next season? Given the schedule, the youth and inexperience on DL & at QB, and the dumpster fire that it looks like the OL will be, I think it will be a MASSIVE success if this team makes a bowl next season. If, however, they only win 4 games, will the fanbase turn on BV, the coaches, or the players?
  • NIL & Opt Outs - Something I thought of last night - I assume most of the starters/regulars have to be making some money from NIL. If some business or collective is paying them money to play, they should be required to actually play, unless they are injured, of course. You want to opt out? Give back the money. You want the money? You play in the games.
Up North Sooner

Post by Up North Sooner »

Fly wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:50 am What we need is a running game. This is the first time I can remember we have no running game. The only so called running back
we have can not keep the ball from being punched out of his hands.Is he not being coached to protect the ball.We must be the
the worst college football team I have seen this year on protecting the ball. How many times have I heard BV say that, we must
Improve on turning the ball over. That,s on the offense coaching staff to eliminate that. When it continues over & over, you will
continue to lost games.I challenge anyone to name another team that is worst at turning the ball over. JA will improve, but the fumbles
& so on is my concern. I seems to happen on drives we doing well & hoping to score. 🙄.

🪰Fly :BV:
If you're talking about Sawchuck, he had zero fumbles this season. As did Walker and Major.

For some reason I can't find the fumble numbers per WR. Odd, but whatever......

As a team total we had 19 fumbles this season, 8 of them resulted in turnovers.

We had 9 total INT. 6 during the regular season, 3 last night.

Nebraska led the nation in fumbles with 31, 15 of which they lost. I can't find good info on total interceptions for the season including bowls. During the season we had 6, which tied us for 14th in FBS along with 7 other teams. The University of Louisiana had the most interceptions thrown during the season with 9.

Those stats include last nights game per the ESPN stat tracker.
SwampSooner

Post by SwampSooner »

Brisket wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:59 am I appreciate all that Walker has done this season, but he entered the portal. To me, that says "I'd rather play anywhere else but OU."
A bit unfair. I think "I would rather play at OU IF THEY WOULD GIVE ME A SCHOLARSHIP, otherwise I will go elsewhere." would be a more appropriate translation. Walker is from Nevada and has to pay out-of-state-tuition
captnop

Post by captnop »

He wanted/wants a scholly ... OR if the they were willing to pony up more $$$$ for green then just add the out of state tuition to Walkers pay ( it feels really weird to type that BTW) and call it good.
OUGENO

Post by OUGENO »

:ou: :BV: Hey Look the Sun is shining today the world did not end because our Sooners lost! Arnold will be a great QB for us yes he had a bad start but this was his first game to start. He was in HS last year and the only time he really got playing time was the 2nd half against BYU. OU was ahead in the 2nd half by 11 points till the wheels came off and that was because of some great plays by AZ. I am proud of our players they played to win and not to lose nobody hurts more than them. I am sad we lost and I think they played as best as they could I am proud of them I will be ready for next season!
captnop

Post by captnop »

Right .... when your first start is against #14, not the Northwestern Appalachian St Bobcats... then bad things can happen. I would rather he get the experience in a bowl game with zero bearing on the season. Quite often you learn more from losing than winning ( as long as losing doesn't become a habit). The experience will do him well next year in the SEC schedule.
Up North Sooner

Post by Up North Sooner »

captnop wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:26 am Right .... when your first start is against #14, not the Northwestern Appalachian St Bobcats... then bad things can happen. I would rather he get the experience in a bowl game with zero bearing on the season. Quite often you learn more from losing than winning ( as long as losing doesn't become a habit). The experience will do him well next year in the SEC schedule.
Exactly.

I think it was in the game thread last night where I said that these days I see the bowls as nothing more than extended practice, and getting experience for some of the younger players. If you aren't in the playoffs then really the bowls don't matter for squat these days. Not saying I'm a fan of it, but with the transfer portal, NIL, and the way the game has changed, bowls just don't mean much to me anymore. Get the extra practice and experience for the guys who will be around next season. If we win, great. If not, oh well.
cushcreekmont

Post by cushcreekmont »

CFB Stats shows 11 fumbles (3 last night included) so that 8 might be coming into the game.

I remember Farooq having at least two fumbles lost prior to last night. If one WR that had 62 total touches for the year had 4 fumbles, he has a poor fumble ratio.
texsa sucks!