Big 12 to SEC Transition

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
Pokerman

Big 12 to SEC Transition

Post by Pokerman »

Been feeling a little strange lately thinking about this conference change.
I was thinking about which bowl games I was most interested in watching. It's still the Big12 teams.
I've been an OU fan since probably 1951 or so. It was the Big 7 then. OU has really never changed conferences in all that time until now.
Big 6 was before even my time, but I did a little research and ran across the the Big 7 (1948-1959) conference standings before it became the Big 8. Check out the
conference champion for each of the years of the Big 7:

https://www.huskermax.com/conference/big7.html

Is it just me or does it feel a little bit like when your parents sell the house you grew up in?
You're curious about the new house but you kinda miss the old one.
AllSooner

Post by AllSooner »

I've had similar feelings.......I still have goosebumps about having another mountain to climb at the same time. Just hope I don't run out of time before we get to the top!
Fly

Post by Fly »

Poker man I must admit it does make me some what sad. I find as I have gotten older, what a journey life has really been. The thing
Is life is always changing as you know. Some times, for the better, & sometime for the worst. Is this the better for us? I wonder, I
Look at Nebraska, & wonder, did they gain a thing in leaving? How about Colorado, same with them? We shall see, but I do know it will be a
much harder road to travel to another NC, than it has been in the past over all.But on the other hand we should be able to recruit
A bit better than we have in say the last 10 years. That in it self will help, make us a better team. But over all the best teams do
not always make it to the Top, as they once did. JMOHOP.

🪰Fly :BV: :ou:
Triple Option

Post by Triple Option »

Pokerman wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 2:35 pm Been feeling a little strange lately thinking about this conference change.
I was thinking about which bowl games I was most interested in watching. It's still the Big12 teams.
I've been an OU fan since probably 1951 or so. It was the Big 7 then. OU has really never changed conferences in all that time until now.
Big 6 was before even my time, but I did a little research and ran across the the Big 7 (1948-1959) conference standings before it became the Big 8. Check out the
conference champion for each of the years of the Big 7:

Is it just me or does it feel a little bit like when your parents sell the house you grew up in?
You're curious about the new house but you kinda miss the old one.
I've always felt this way about it. Seems like most people are all excited about joining the SEC, but the Big 8/12 is all I've ever known, and yes, I guess these opponents feel like home/family. I've more or less gotten used to the idea because I know it's necessary, but on an emotional level, it still bums me out.
All that is gold does not glitter.
Not all those who wander are lost.
The old that is strong does not wither.
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
- Bilbo Baggins
Triple Option

Post by Triple Option »

Fly wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 3:35 pm I look at Nebraska, & wonder, did they gain a thing in leaving? How about Colorado, same with them? We shall see, but I do know it will be a
much harder road to travel to another NC, than it has been in the past over all. But on the other hand we should be able to recruit a bit better
Well, we've won exactly 1 national championship in football in the past 38 seasons, so I certainly hope there are recruiting gains that outweigh the "much harder road."
All that is gold does not glitter.
Not all those who wander are lost.
The old that is strong does not wither.
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
- Bilbo Baggins
Pokerman

Post by Pokerman »

I'm surprised nobody has commented on the Big 7 Conference data posted.
I added it after the original post so, if you missed it originally, here it is again:

OK, I'll just give you the punchline:
OU was the Big 7 conference champion in EVERY ONE OF IT'S 12 YEARS of existence.
Last edited by Pokerman on Tue Dec 26, 2023 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Pokerman, boy--you are spot on about your parents selling the house you grew up in.
That's exactly how it feels with this new transition. Feels like the house is sold and you're in the midst of packing up all your stuff getting ready to move.
I started paying attention to OU football back in the late 50's and the Big 7 is the earliest I remember.
And Fly....you're right also....the only thing constant in life is change.
National Championships will be different now. With 12 team playoffs between Conference Champions and some runners up and at large teams, you probably really will have the best teams make it to the finish.
I remember in the past, the Sportswriters poll (AP) and the Coaches (UPI) poll were usually pretty close together and most of the time they got the right teams to play in the Orange Bowl or Sugar Bowl for the National Championship. But they had some misses some years too which of course led to the BCS computer playoffs and then the 4 team playoff we have now. The 12 team set up yet to come may be a bit on the heavy side, but you probably wind up close to having a real winner too.
SEC---here we come! Ready or Not!
aka Crimson47
captnop

Post by captnop »

I have similar feelings. I grew up with the big 8, when I went to OU I had classes with Dante Jones and Tony Casillas. I went to most of the home games when I was student. It feels wierd to not be in a Big something conference. However times change and I'm glad OU is in the SEC instead of the B1G.. better recruiting and cultural fit. Look at NU to see what happens when you abandon your recruiting base.
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

I am looking forward to being in the SEC, getting the SEC treatment, and leaving the Big 12 refs in the rear view mirror…..

The best thing about the move to the SEC is that it exposed the cancer of STInkin, and caused Stinkin to leave, and caused us to get our great new coach BV…. :BV: :BV: :BV: :BV: :ou:
captnop

Post by captnop »

I firmly believe OU would've been exactly what USC was the last 2 years.... Like a lady I know once said to me about her ex .. I heard him arguing with his new GF. same crap different girl..
soonerTroll2

Post by soonerTroll2 »

Big 7 (1948-1959) coincides with Bud Wilkerson's great run. So it's a given OU dominated. ;)
OU hasn't changed conferences since 1920. https://www.britannica.com/topic/Southwest-Conference
So long ago it's little remembered today.
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

soonerTroll2 wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 1:25 pm Big 7 (1948-1959) coincides with Bud Wilkerson's great run. So it's a given OU dominated. ;)
OU hasn't changed conferences since 1920. https://www.britannica.com/topic/Southwest-Conference
So long ago it's little remembered today.
Oh, NO, SoonerTroll2, WILKERSON!!! OMG!!! :handsdown:
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

HaHaHa soonrTroll2.......what happened? Did that AI autocorrect jump up and bite the Wilkinson Spelling for ya? LOL......Nice!
aka Crimson47
soonerTroll2

Post by soonerTroll2 »

Dear Soonertimes message board,

I am writing to offer my sincere apologies for misspelling the great Bud Wilkinson's name. My action was inappropriate and disrespectful, and I take full responsibility for my mistake and offer no excuses.

Sincerely,

soonerTroll2 :bow:
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

LOL....all good soonerTroll2.......... :D
aka Crimson47