If you Could

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
WishBone

If you Could

Post by WishBone »

What changes would you make to NIL and the Portal?Changes to how the Portal works and Changes to how NIL $$$$ are handled?Im currently not happy with either and undecided where we are headed.Lets hear your suggestions.
Opinions are still "OK" ...Correct?
EMan

Post by EMan »

I don't have the solution, and would really need to study it more to come up with a decent option, but I can tell you one thing, letting players have multiple transfers with no consequences is NOT the way to go. I know I sound like a broken record, but unrestricted free agency with no salary cap will not work.
I may not always be right, but I'm never wrong!
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

The same Max budget amount allowed per team across all of CFB ie a salary cap…….. portal window after playoff 1 week only period , NSD held 4 weeks after portal closes in January….

Contracts allowed and enforced. Could only transfer if out of contract ……….max of # of transfer one per year and only if not under contract…… :eyes: :eyes: no renegotiations of contract allowed during first 3 years of contract….
OU Chinaman

Post by OU Chinaman »

...I feel like if you fix the portal, you'll keep the NIL under control.
There's no way the NIL will ever change.. Can't put the genie back in the bottle.

But some meaningful changes to the portal could keep it in check.

I've stated previously, need to limit ANY players use to only twice in 5 years. Two times, Period!
If you transfer to a team in your conference, you sit out a season before you can play.

:ou: :ou: :ou: :rice:
BrngBkLilRed

Post by BrngBkLilRed »

My suggestion would be that in the future OU recruit orphans only, that takes the deadbeat dads, street agent uncles and other trash out of the equation. The only exemption that would be considered is if the kid was raised by his grandmother.
Bixby_Sooner

Post by Bixby_Sooner »

I have some suggestions for the NIL/Transfer Portal problem. They won't be popular, but it would change how both operate. They may not even be practical, but...

1. Allow the player to have the option of being immediately eligible to play, or receiving NIL for his first year, but not both (requiring school to document)
2. The Portal can only be used 1 time as an undergraduate and 1 time as a post graduate
3. Require a year delay in the ability to enter portal due to a coaching change
4. Once a player has medically retired, they become ineligibile for the TP
5. Make arbitration mandatory when NIL/Portal offers are received - to give a fair opportunity to the player to be retained.
A commitment is NOT a reservation - Brent Venables 3/21/22
soonerindallas

Post by soonerindallas »

Blow up both of them...........just kidding.

For the portal - bring back having to sit out a year if you transfer IF the coach you signed with is still at the school. If the coach has left, then you should be able to transfer without sitting out since your coach left. That would stop what is happeing with bonehead Green wanting to leave after one year because he is trying to get a bigger NIL deal. He may not want to do that if he knows he'd have to sit out a year and lose eligibility.

As for NIL..................somehow (either through congressional legislation, etc) it has to be brought under control so that it isn't like free agency in the NFL. Team should only have a certain amount of dollars to spend on that.

Both of them are horrible right now.
Brisket

Post by Brisket »

Portal is easier to change legally.

1) Move the portal window to June 1 - after the school year. I'm no fan of that team down in Austin or any of their players, but their QB Murphy having to miss out on being part of the playoffs b/c of the portal window & his options being limited is a bad situation. This has the added benefit of making it harder for a player to get fully up to speed at their new school. Wherever Green winds up, he's going to have 8-9 months to adjust to the new school, learn a new system, etc.

2) Bring back the rule that if you transfer from 1 P5 school to another P5 school for any reason other than the head coach who recruited you is no longer at your original school, you have to sit out 1 year & lose a year of eligibility. Doubt it would pass legal muster, but I'd also tack onto that rule that you cannot receive NIL $$$ while you are sitting out. Immediate eligibility for moves up or down the football ladder (G5 to P5; D2 to D1).

Not sure you can put any of the NIL genie back in the bottle legally, but I'd like to see the following.

3) Annual, school-year-based NIL contracts that have the same terms, conditions, & language across the NCAA landscape.

4) NIL money cannot be accessed by the athlete until they have graduated, exhausted their eligibility, left for their respective professional league, or are "retired" from their sport. Also, every NIL contract mandates some portion of NIL $$$ to be contributed to a life/health insurance plan for the athlete & another portion deferred into some kind of retirement plan for the athlete. While they are in school, each athlete's money is managed by a fiduciary.

5) Each school can only have 1 collective that must be approved by the NCAA. The collective is required to submit every NIL deal to the NCAA for review and approval. Streamline all these collectives. What I'm trying to get at is preventing a school like A&M or Mizzou throwing a crap-ton of money at players for relatively insignificant businesses. For example, Caleb Williams' Nissan Heisman House national commercial is and should be worth significantly more than a hypothetical deal Williams Zwaniri would get from some local Columbia, MO business.

6) Not sure how to do this, but there has to be some meaningful enforcement & penalties with significant teeth for schools that are proven to have tampered with an athlete who was not already in the portal. Loss of scholarships, remuneration to the school who lost the athlete, etc. Not sure what could realistically be done about it, but the Green situation is dirty & there should be some serious consequences.
Mort

Post by Mort »

When a coach moves to a new school, players can portal with immediate eligibility to any other school but would be prohibited from following the coach to the new school for one year. This would apply for both head coach and assistant coach departures. And if there was a way to block a coach from following an athlete to a new school, I'd do that too.
SwampSooner

Post by SwampSooner »

I agree with most of the above suggestions. I would also make NIL available only to students enrolled in college. No NIL for HS students.
JoeSooner

Post by JoeSooner »

Portal window is too early, signing days are too early. If you want to transfer wait until the fall, you're not entitled to join your new team for spring practice.

NIL, they're going to have to do something like they've proposed which they basically make players employees based on sharing TV revenue, pay them all the same. Anything else you earn you should have to do something for, autographs, podcasts, commercials whatever. Those opportunities will come if you're a great player, popular personality, etc. just like the real world. You're not entitled to bags of cash just for being on the roster.
I make big plays in big games, that's all.
Fly

Post by Fly »

Dang JoeSooner that is brilliant! 👏👏👏 I think your on to something🤔.

🪰Fly :BV: :ou:
MontOUfan

Post by MontOUfan »

Read an interesting article (it's over a year old now) about the effect of the professionalization of college sports (paying players as employees and all that that entails) and how Title IX comes into play. Here are some highlights:
“I always say that Title IX is probably the most powerful force in college sports. This will be a very, very interesting fork in the road because I could see this going to the Supreme Court.” Tom McMillen, former college basketball player and Maryland senator.
- A critical element is Title IX protection — barring discrimination on the basis of sex for any educational program or activity receiving federal financial assistance — and whether it would still apply if athletes are deemed employees. If it does, that protection would require the benefits that an institution provides male and female athletes to be comparable. -
If it doesn't then...
- “Without the protections of Title IX, schools will feel increased financial pressure if they are forced to maintain programs that are not ‘profitable’ but also must pay wages to the athletes in those unprofitable programs,” McLain (lawyer) wrote. The financial pressure, he argued, could force some institutions to make economic-driven decisions to cut some non-revenue sports, which would disproportionately affect female athletes. -
- “That would obviously cause more of the revenue generated by a school’s athletics program to flow to the athletes, and schools would potentially have to start operating under a new financial model,” Winter (another sports lawyer) said. “What this could end up doing is making college athletics leaders face a decision: Do we want to make college athletics a purely educational model — more along the line of club sports or intramurals — or should certain sports teams be spun off from universities?” -
- As a professionalized model draws ever closer, and efforts continue to usher in the athlete-as-employee era, a potential Title IX battle looms on the not-so-distant horizon. -
Food for thought.
WishBone

Post by WishBone »

In the absence of federal legislation, institutions face an unclear future on NIL matters. But the introduction of NIL may only be the first domino to fall in a possible shake-up of college sports that could drive a sea change, leading to new challenges for colleges and new rights for athletes.

Johnson v. NCAA, a lawsuit currently winding through the courts, may ultimately decide whether college athletes should be considered employees under the Fair Labor Standards Act. While plaintiffs have argued that they should be considered employees, the NCAA contends that Department of Labor guidelines prohibit college athletes from being considered as such.

The National Labor Relations Board has also argued that college athletes should be considered employees in a complaint filed against the NCAA, the University of Southern California and the Pac-12 Conference. A hearing on the NLRB complaint is scheduled for November, and a decision against the NCAA could result in the classification of athletes as employees and open the door to unionization, radically altering the landscape of college sports in the years to come.

Forer argues there is a “clear and realistic possibility” that college athletes may be found to be wrongly classified and will be considered employees. That may then open the door to unionization, with sports teams possibly split into individual bargaining units. Suddenly an institution with 20 sports teams, for example, may find itself at the negotiating table with representatives from each athletic squad.

“Can you actually imagine having 20 different representatives from different teams at your institution negotiating with your institution on different collective bargaining agreements?” he said
Opinions are still "OK" ...Correct?
Fly

Post by Fly »

Wow, something that just came to me is, NO ONE HAS mentioned UNIONS! What have they created? Geeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzz🙄.

🪰Fly :BV: :ou: