Dillon Gabriel Poll

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports

What will Dillon Gabriel chose to do?

Poll ended at Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:10 pm

Stay in Norman and complete his final year of eligibility.
8%
Declare for the NFL draft and prepare for the combine.
65%
Declare for the transfer portal and finish his college career elsewhere.
27%

Total votes: 37

White River

Dillon Gabriel Poll

Post by White River »

Dillon Gabriel has options for next season. We may find out this week what he will chose to do. What do the posters of SoonerTimes think he will do?
OU Chinaman

Post by OU Chinaman »

...I really think Gabriel needs to declare for the NFL draft.
Not sure another college year will increase his odds of being drafted.
He's a 5th year senior.

I do hope he doesn't opt out of the Bowl Game with AZ!
(If he does, don't blame him...but needs to make it known quickly.) :cool:

:ou: :ou: :ou: :rice:
White River

Post by White River »

I think Dillon is a very good college QB. I'm grateful he came to play for the Sooners. However, I see him being very much in the mold of Josh Heuple; an excellent college QB whose game may not translate to the pro game. RIght or wrong, the pro's want a strong arm that can make all the throws and I don't think that's Dillon's game. I'm sure there are many who would disagree with me. With the NIL he can make a big check for one more year. Sooner fans seem to be ready to move on to Jackson Arnold but there are teams that would pay big money for a year of DG running their team. I was interested in the thoughts of others and therefore the poll.
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

I think he needs to think long term… what feeds into his long term desires….But you get one shot at NFL for that now is the time…I had hear various podcasts say players especially QBs get more money from NIL than a 5th round QB contract, but it isnt always about money today….He should try NFL see what happens…even if successful it doesn’t last long…..then go into coaching whenever time i right… the money coaches make is RIDICULOUS…..
And coaches progress quickly compared to a job in the real world…… :dillon: :dillon: :dillon: :dillon:

Also he could get a draft appraisal feedback from the NFL if favorable that makes a difference…..

Also the critics of his passing are not realistic in terms of what works in the NFL and what was drafted in the past. If you remember Hurts was bad at throwing when moving to his left and not accurate downfield when he left OU to the NFL. Also Dak is still not accurate beyond 30 yards but he i a fixture at the Cowboys…. There are no Mariano’s in the NFL today…….
Last edited by Zgeo on Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

My “opinion” only. As much as I respect and admire what DG has done to save our program when LiaR and others bolted in the wee hours, I want him to declare for NFL and bypass the bowl.

My reasons are selfish and looking solely at our program future. We missed out on NY6 bowl. Arizona is a tough team and will give us all we can handle. Having DG is the safe play and he has earned the right to play in it, no question whatsoever.

But not getting in playoffs or NY6 its not a major bowl. We need to look ahead to our transition to SEC. Jackson Arnold needs to have one complete game to prep (as starter) and play against a good defense. It means practices as 1 with all the other 1’s. This will help our new offensive staff to learn his playmaking abilities and what works and doesn’t. This gives Seth all off season to use that knowledge to prepare for next season. I think its huge.

If DG stays and plays bowl game it will cost us that one time opportunity to see if JA is going to do well or not. So much can be learned. In bowl games you usually have more trickery and all plays are used. That can help Seth work up plays for all situations and then have time off season to fix problem areas.

I hope no one (Chinaman) takes this wrong, and its all up to DG what he does. I don’t think one game will help him for draft. I do think one game can help JA for our future.

But whatever he does I’ll support it and root for the Sooners like always. Honestly I’m anxious to see JA paired with Seth. Bowl game is a formality but SEC is our future and it will not be easy. We need every advantage we can get and having JA as starter is my wish.
Last edited by OU Guy on Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Brent I Trust :D
WishBone

Post by WishBone »

I Expected this kind of Response....very puzzling too.
Opinions are still "OK" ...Correct?
Fly

Post by Fly »

Everyone of you bring up some very good points. I know this, if he was going to ask me what I thought, (like that would ever happen)🙄
I could not advise that young man what was best for him. That is something that hard to answer. I,m like OU Guy I,m selfish also in
Respect to our program. I,m looking forward to the future so you know my feeling about him staying or not as much as l hate to say that. I just wish that kid the best of the best in what ever he does. I think the world of him & what he has done for this program.

🪰Fly :BV: :ou:
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

^^^

Yes, look at our schedule next year. Plus Tulane and Houston OOC. Tulane is ranked #23 in AP, so 7 ranked teams

EMan

Post by EMan »

OU Guy wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:56 pm Yes, look at our schedule next year. Plus Tulane and Houston OOC. Tulane is ranked #23 in AP, so 7 ranked teams
Houston just hired Willie Fritz, Tulane's HC.
I may not always be right, but I'm never wrong!
AllSooner

Post by AllSooner »

At one time I was reading on Elitedawgs that they(posters like us) would like Dillon to follow Jeff. Since he already knows the offense, he could help get things off the ground at MissSt
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

EMan wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:08 pm
OU Guy wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:56 pm Yes, look at our schedule next year. Plus Tulane and Houston OOC. Tulane is ranked #23 in AP, so 7 ranked teams
Thats a good hire. So Tulane should still have good players and won’t be a cupcake. And Houston with better players has a better coach. Next year is going go be a tough one.
gcruse7

Post by gcruse7 »

OU Guy wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:12 pm
EMan wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:08 pm
Thats a good hire. So Tulane should still have good players and won’t be a cupcake. And Houston with better players has a better coach. Next year is going go be a tough one.
I think Tulane will be breaking in a new QB in addition to a new coach, so that should help.
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." Jim Elliot
Triple Option

Post by Triple Option »

I have no idea what he will do, so I voted for what I want him to do, which is stay at OU and compete with Jackson Arnold for the starting spot next year (don't think it should or would be just handed to him). I don't think he has much chance at a future in the NFL, though I agree he ought to get some feedback, and see what they say.

I don't like to see the bowl game portrayed as meaningless or as prep for next year. It's the culmination and reward for this year's team, and all they've worked for. Some of these guys will never play football again, and this is their last big hurrah.
All that is gold does not glitter.
Not all those who wander are lost.
The old that is strong does not wither.
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
- Bilbo Baggins
SwampSooner

Post by SwampSooner »

I think back to Jason White. He kept coming back from injuries for another yet another year to a point that I thought Paul Thompson was never given the proper preparation to lead the team.
waddy's ghost

Post by waddy's ghost »

Basically I hope for the best for DG....aywhere but here . It may sound harsh but I am ready for the JFA era to begin .