Sooner Men's BB host Ark- Pine Bluff in McCasland: Thursday @7PM

Forum to discuss OU Men's Basketball
OUBeliever56A

Sooner Men's BB host Ark- Pine Bluff in McCasland: Thursday @7PM

Post by OUBeliever56A »

The Oklahoma Sooner Men's Basketball Team, undefeated with 6 wins in 2023, will play a special game in McCasland Field House on Thursday Night at 7 PM. The game is 'on campus' and for students only with free admission. I truly hope that the students hanging from the rafters in McCasland. The noise should be deafening and the excitement should be a once in a lifetime event for current students.

Now if the Sooner Men will cooperate and play well and give the student crowd a good show Thursday night. I am looking for 100 points by the Sooners and a convincing win over Ark-Pine Bluff. The Lions from Pine Bluff are 4-4 on the season and have a high-powered offense as they average 87.38 points per game this season. But they also allow 82.88 points a game so their defense is suspect. On the other hand the Sooners are averaging 84.17 points a game but are much better on defense as they are allowing 59.83 points a game. The Sooners were averaging 88.5 pts/game before last weeks two wins in San Diego over Iowa and USC where they scored 79 and 72 points. the Sooners were only allowing 55.5 pts/game before last weekend also before allowing 67 and 70 points. The Lions broke a 3-game losing streak with a win in their last game 85-65 over Arkansas Baptist.

Ark-Pine Bluff has three players at 6'5" or less that leads the Lions in scoring. Milton, #1 - 6'4", scores at a 20.9 clip with 4+ rebounds. Williams, #5 - 6'2", scores 18.1 points/game with almost 3 boards per game. French, #30 - 6'5", scores 15.6 points/game with 4+ rebounds a game. French may play inside on defense for the Lions as he is the 2nd tallest starter. The other two Lions that start are Martin, #23 - 6'4" (10.4 points and 4 boards) and Lewis, #22 - 6'9" (4.5 points/game and 3.5 boards). Their bench is mainly provided by McCloud, #11 - 6'5" and Plet, #45 - 6'8".

The Lions do shoot the ball well as they shoot 47% from the floor with a 38.9% from three-point land and 78.3% from the line. The Sooner defense outside will be challenged on the outside by the Lions. The Lions do get outrebounded by the opponents probably due to their size, or lack of size on the floor.

Th Sooners are shooting 50.4% from the floor and 33.6% on Three's with 77.5 from the free throw line. The Sooners are lead by three scorers who average in double digits. Oweh leds with 15.0 pts a game and almost 5 boards a game. McCollum adds 13.3 points a game with almost 2 boards. Hugley IV adds 11.5 points a game with 5.5 boards. The Sooners have 5 players who score between 9 and 7 points a game. Those 7 players are; Moore, Darthard, Godwin, Uzan and Soares. Godwin leads those with 6.7 boards, Moore adds 4 and Soares adds 5.5 rebounds.

One of the important improvements for the Sooners in 2023 is that they are only averaging 12 turnovers a game while averaging 21.5 assists and steals a game for almost 2-1 ratio between the two stats. The Lions actually have that 2-1 ratio so far this season.

I expect this game to be a fast paced game played mostly outside by the two teams. Oklahoma's size inside and their depth should make the difference in the game however. Godwin, Hugley IV, Moore and Soares should own the game inside as the Sooner guards equalize the Lions outside players.

The game will be televised on ESPN+ and the Sooner Radio Network (KRXO 107.7 FM The Franchise in Oklahoma City; KTBZ 1430 AM in Tulsa; Varsity Radio App).

Good luck to the Sooner Men tomorrow night in this special game at McCasland Field House. It might be fun as a non-student to sit outside in lawn chairs and watch the game on a phone on ESPN+ to just 'feel' the atmosphere inside the Field House.

Good luck to the Sooners tomorrow night!

Boomer Sooner!
Last edited by OUBeliever56A on Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Here is the Sooner staff writers article about the special "student only" game at McCaskill Field House tonight at 7 PM.

https://soonersports.com/news/2023/11/2 ... ield-house
MsProudSooner

Post by MsProudSooner »

OU honoring longtime home McCasland Field House in students-only game against Arkansas Pine Bluff
Nov 30, 2023

Daniel Hoang/The Daily

Alvan Adams skipped his usual pregame nap on December 7, 1974, and almost five decades later, he can still remember why.

That day, instead of sleeping, Adams watched as the press box on the west side of the football stadium was purposely imploded. Then, a few hours later, the basketball standout led Oklahoma to a win over No. 5 South Carolina.

Those two historic moments were not only witnessed by Adams, but also by the McCasland Field House.

The relic of basketball history, which lies on the edge of campus, has seen the transformation of basketball and of the university. The field house has watched the fall of rivals, the development of athletes and the beauty of competition.

For 95 years, it has held the remnants of the people, the plays and the moments that made Oklahoma athletics, and specifically men’s basketball, special.

And to former OU players like Adams, that is the magic of McCasland.

“It was a funky building,” Adams said. “But it was a historically funky building.”

The “old field house” watched as competitors like Adams, an All-American and member of the 1970s Big Eight decade team, braced the McCasland hardwood.

For 48 seasons, fans surrounded teams on three sides at McCasland, and at 7 p.m. Thursday night during the Sooners’ (6-0) game against Arkansas Pine Bluff (4-4) on ESPN+, they will do the same in a students-only game.

Though the game expanded and changed from 1928 to 1975, the intimate venue stayed the same, and, in both basketball and in life, consistency is important.

After five decades of stability, McCasland became an integral part of Oklahoma basketball and the fanbase’s lives.

“It was home, it was our home court, and whatever it was, that was our favorite place,” Adams said. “The locker room was tiny, our training room was tiny, the coach’s office was tiny, but it was home.”

Thousands of spectators visited the field house. However, they did not translate to the Lloyd Noble Center. A distant, much less intimate venue has posed attendance struggles since its opening in 1975, and now head coach Porter Moser is doing what he can to promote fan engagement and student involvement.

An idea that was sparked two years ago by vertical ceilings and posters of Alvan Adams and Gar Heard on the arena’s walls, has now come to fruition for Moser, and the Sooners’ throwback game in McCasland could potentially help students envision an electric basketball environment.

“I thought it would be really cool for the students to be right on top of the floor, on the sidelines, you know, everywhere,” Moser said. “Then hopefully they will be excited, and we can visualize what Lloyd Noble would look like packed.”

The students-only game serves as an opportunity to not only create a unique venue but also as a way to honor the building that housed the program and the players, coaches and fans that supported it.

“It’s fun to have an occasional link to the past,” Adams said. “McCasland was home, and that old building was an advantage, but no matter what, whether it is a link to (Brian) Bosworth on the football field or Blake Griffin in the stands, or all the alumni that can make it back, I mean people always love to remember.”

‘To drive by the old field house’

A promise had been made to Oklahoma’s 1976 recruiting class. By committing to OU, they would be the first people to play in the Lloyd Noble Center.

That promise was kept.

However, the transition to the multi-purpose arena in 1975 meant leaving behind the gym that had turned many of their childhood dreams into a reality and housed OU’s basketball program for years.

Despite finishing their collegiate careers at the new venue, for players like former OU forward Jerry Vest, it is McCasland they search for when they visit their alma mater.

“I have been back to Norman a number of times and sometimes the old field house is accessible, sometimes it’s open and you can walk in and sometimes it’s just driving by,” Vest said. “I never miss a chance of going back to Norman to see the old field house and to think about all of those special times.”

As the players looked outside of their windows at the Washington House dorms in the 1970s, it was McCasland Field House that looked back, and for teammates like Vest and Adams, the field house was the center of their lives.

A short walk from student housing, their classes and football games, it served as the middle ground for everything they did, and the familiarity within the four walls of McCasland served as an advantage.

“The same court that we played on, we practiced on,” Adams said. “We practiced on that court, we ran sprints, we put in new plays, the coach praised us and the coach got onto us. Then when we had games, we were in the same space, the same volume, we knew it.”

Adams knew it, as he broke records in the field house before getting drafted as the fourth overall pick to the Phoenix Suns in the months before his senior season.

It was players like Adams and Vest who embraced the intimacy of McCasland, and as they moved to the NBA or the Lloyd Noble Center, it was ambivalence that followed.

“It was mixed emotions for everyone that moved,” Vest said. “There was a great deal of excitement, but there was also a nostalgic feeling for the old fieldhouse because we all had some good experiences there and a lot of memories that we forged over those three years.”

‘Every little crack in the wood’

Former Oklahoma forward Rick McNeil can remember the voices of 5,000 fans when he reminisces about his time playing at McCasland.

Echos of the crowd’s cheers bounced off the rafters and filled the gym.

“I played in the old field house for a couple of years and loved the environment,” McNeil said. “Obviously it was smaller, and you didn’t have to have all the people to have all the loud noise.”

For decades, the stands of McCasland hosted thousands of people in hundreds of packed arenas and brought life to many OU basketball teams.

While hoping to generate support for a Sooners team that has started their season 6-0 for the first time in eight years, Moser also sees this as a way to honor the stories that have supported and grown his program.

“You think about all the players that came before you,” Moser said. “I just think about all the players that have been in (McCasland), that have come through … To know those guys wore the OU jersey, I believe they paved the way.”

Teammates like Adams, Vest and McNeil are integral pieces of what made OU basketball and McCasland Field House memorable, but the opportunity for students to relish in that history is what makes their contributions worthwhile.

“I think anytime you have the opportunity for current players and current students to draw on those past experiences, and the history that went into the formation of who the University of Oklahoma basketball team and student body is today are positive,” Vest said. “Even though it is only one game, to experience what that old tradition is like is very positive.”

Forty-nine years have gone by since consecutive games were played in the field house. However, despite the large gap in time, for the people who played there, it was the small details that made the arena special.

Though a possibility of a new arena in the University North Park Entertainment District has been proposed, McCasland will continue to stand, just as it has always done, and encompass the history and tradition of OU basketball.

“It’s just going back in history,” McNeil said. “When you go back in there and have a game it just brings back old memories. You remember every little crack in the wood. You remember everything about it.”

https://www.oudaily.com/sports/ou-ho...610c685d6.html
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

Students only

In Brent I Trust :D
White River

Post by White River »

52-34 Sooners at half
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

This is really cool idea from Moser - venue, only students, and recognition for past greats. This team has a dofferent feel to it from last 2 years. His players are fitting his system. DCO, defense creates offense.

OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

New track coach.

OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

WOW! Moser had this idea/vision to get students involved. And if the early returns pan out and this team can compete for wins, then these same students will lkely come back for games in regular arena. But its their special night and they are having a blast.

OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

Jake Moser even got some mop duty!!

OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

The Oklahoma Men's Basketball Team started quickly in the first 10 minutes of the game against Ark-Pine Bluff and then took care of business the rest of the way to win a high scoring game 107-86. From all reports the atmosphere in McCaskill Field House was great as the noise level was reportedly, very loud. That did not come across the TV broadcast on ESPN+ but from the comments, I guess the crowd mics did not pick up the enthusiastic crowd. The court lines were a bit tough to see as well as the floor was the OU Volleyball court with a basketball court lines laid down on the court. The crowd size nearly 3,600 with around 3,000 students in attendance.

The Sooners did start well as they led by 16 points at the halfway point of the 1st half 30-14. The lead at halftime was 52-34 for the Sooners. The lead was 25 points at the halfway mark of the 2nd half. The final margin was 21 points as the game clock ran out.

Here is the Sooner staff writers article about the McCasland event.

https://soonersports.com/news/2023/11/3 ... ield-house

The game was very fast paced throughout with the floor spread and many players working into the scoring. OU did dominate inside as they had 54 points in the paint to 30 points for Ark-PB. That was despite the Sooners playing without Sam Godwin, the starting post player for the Sooners, who was out ill. But the two primary Sooner 'bigs' Hugley IV and Moore were 13 of 21 for the night and scored 34 points between them. I think I heard that Moore's 19 points was a career high on the broadcast, but maybe it was just a Sooner career high for Moore. That surprises me. Moore is a special athlete and I would have thought he had had some big games in college ball. Oweh had a very good game from everywhere on the floor as he led the Sooners with 20 points on 9 of 11 shots. McCollum and Darthard added strong offensive efforts as they scored 15 and 14 points respectively. They were 11 for 19 from the field. Uzan and Soares also added good solid performances with 9 and 4 points as Uzan had 8 assists, 1 steal and only 1 turnover. Soares added 4 boards and 34 assists.

The Sooners shot 40 of 70 for 57.1% which is very good. The also shot 13 of 30 from three-point land for 43.3%. From the free throw line they shot over 80% on 14 of 17 attempts for 82.4%.

Oklahoma continues to take care of the ball well as they had 12 turnovers against 26 assists and 8 steals. That is a 34/12 ratio of almost 3 to 1. If the Sooners can keep that level of play going, they can be in just about every game.

I thought the Sooners played well, despite them allowing Ark - Pine Bluff to score 86 points. I am sure that Coach Moser will have a nightmare or two about that, but Ark - Pine Bluff has good scorers, especially Milton and Williams who scored 24 and 20. They had to take 30 shots to do that though. In an interesting stat, the 7 primary Sooners that played 19 minutes or more last night had more points than shots. They were 37 of 64 (57.8%) as they scored 97 points. Those 7 Sooners scored 1.5 points per shot.

Up next for the Sooners is Providence in Lloyd Noble Center of the 9th of Dec. 5th at 6 PM. The Friars are 6 and 1 on the season with wins over Wisconsin and Georgia. Their loss was to Kansas State in overtime 70-73. Providence plays Rhode Island on Saturday before traveling to Norman for their Tuesday night game that is part of the Big 12-Big East challenge series. Providence has some size inside, but OU can match up from what I see. Providence plays with a slower pace than OU by about 11 points a game, but they shoot the ball well from the floor. I am surprised that the Friars are not ranked or even receiving votes in the two polls. They were 21-12 in 2022-23 and did make the NCAA playoffs as they lost to Kentucky in the first round by 8 points. They did lose 4 out of their last five games though.

The effort and results were good for the Sooners last night. Good luck to them on Tuesday night, Godwin should be available to practice starting today from what has been posted or reported. That will help the Sooners on Tuesday night in the paint.

Boomer Sooner!
Brisket

Post by Brisket »

It was an excellent showing by the men's team. OU basketball has not had 2 athletes on the same team like Moore & Oweh since I don't know when. Love the effort and the pace they played with last night.

Will someone with way more Norman, OU, & basketball knowledge than me please explain why they can't play EVERY game in MFH? Seems like the city & the university are all-in on the off-campus arena/retail development deal, but that just seems like a real estate scam/money grab to me. An intimate, on-campus arena is WAY more convenient for the students.

With minimal renovation, it seems like you could get 5k seats in MFH. OU doesn't need a bigger basketball venue than that. One thing a smaller venue does is create the "perception of scarcity." Also known as FOMO. You have to show up early & get in line - you might not get a seat. That builds excitement & energy for the games. They could bring in food trucks & live music in that area between Owen Field & MFH - make it a party! That would seem to me the easiest, most cost-effective way to generate excitement for the basketball programs & actually have a home-court advantage.