SOONERS VS. Polygamists in Provo: GAME THREAD

This forum contains popular threads that are worthy of archiving
OU Chinaman

SOONERS VS. Polygamists in Provo: GAME THREAD

Post by OU Chinaman »

...IN 1970, I was a junior in HS, 5'6" 140 lbs and the starting SE for the Fruita Monument Wildcats in Colorado.
Fruita Monument was a NEW HS and on what they called the Modular system. School days were in mods, not hours. Mods were 20 minute blocks; 3 mods for Algebra, a free mod, 2 mods for English 2 free mods, 3 mods for History, a free mod,etc.
The idea was to prepare us for college. You could use your free mods however you chose. Study, gymnasium, whatever.

Our team was 2-9, both the wins were by 1 pt.
I caught 5 passes, averaged 17 yds per catch and scored a 2 pt conversion against Grand Junction who beat us 69-16. Fred Fuller was the HC who arrived from Calif. a week before 2 a days started.

I fell in love with a Mormon girl named Lana. Pretty, sweet wholesome girl next door type.
We talked of forever, marriage and kids, but there was one problem.
She insisted, demanded I convert to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Told me she WOULD be married in the Temple @ Salt Lake.
Came close to it too. Sat through their missionary presentation, even scheduled a baptism to convert.
In the end, I refused to convert. Broke her heart, and mine.
But I came to realize, Mormons were zealots! No room for any compromise.

Brigham Young, was the 2nd president of the Mormon Church and led his followers to Utah, founded Salt Lake city and served as the first governor of Utah territory.
The church leader Brigham Young had at least 57 wives and 56 children I believe.

(If Lana had indicated she would be agreeable to me having 57 wives...who knows what might have happened?) :dude:

Brigham Young's involvement in the "Meadows Massacre" on 11 Sept. 1857 is disputed. What is not is the fact that Mormons were involved in the slaughter of 120 men, women and children from Arkansas that were traveling through Utah. They were murdered and left unburied where they lie.

LATTER DAY "SAINTS"?

This will be the very first football game OKLAHOMA has played in Utah.
The Coug's are 2-0 vs. OU. They're the very last team with at least 2 meeting STILL undefeated vs. the SOONERS.

OU qb Gabriel is coming off his best game ever as a collegiate quarterback.
He has Drake Stoops & Nic Anderson (who leads the country with his 25.7 yds per catch avg.), for targets and a re-vived Gavin Sawchuck playing like he did vs. Fla St. in the Bowl Game.

Not sure if BYU HC Kalani Sitake has anounced his qb starter between Kedon Slovis and Jake Retzlaff.

Noteworthy trends: BYU is 0-6 ATS coming off consecutive losses as an underdog and 1-7 ATS off a loss vs. a team coming off a win.

The Cougars are -117 net yds. per game this season.
OKLAHOMA is +131 net.

I think OKLAHOMA wins and covers! :cool:

ROLL MACHINE, ROLL!!!

:ou: :ou: :ou: :rice:
Last edited by OU Chinaman on Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

Have you ever heard a reason given by anyone for the killing of all those razorback type people?.. and, how certain are we that it was done by Mormons?
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

I watched the complete cable tv series HELL ON WHEELS, and recommend it . The series was particularly hard on the Mormons, as they got involved with the folks building the railroad through the Utah area. Maybe Sooner football will follow the HOW lead?!
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

Scene Setter

In Brent I Trust :D
ArcoIris

Post by ArcoIris »

I hope I’m not out of line here. I’m basically a lurker but I read the chinaman’s post and felt obligated to elaborate. One of the victims on that wagon train was my great great grandfather. Fortunately he had left his family in Arkansas with his relatives until he could return for them.

No one has ever admitted that Brigham Young was involved but his cousin visited Cedar City, Utah shortly before the Massacre. It was a very rich wagon train. 1000 head of cattle for the miners in California plus gold money hidden in the floor of a wagon.

The Mormons recruited a few Paiute Indians (only a few were willing to participate). For over a hundred years they blamed it on the Indians even though they refused to participate once they saw what was happening. Several books have been written on it. The best one was “Blood of the Prophets, the Mountain Meadows Massacre” it was written by Will Bagley a Mormon on the expectation that he would give their version. They opened their records to him and he saw the real truth. He is no longer a Mormon.

They left all the bodies unburied and would guide travelers around the site.

My apologies for being off topic.
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

Clown conference with our game times this year. Its 10am start for the locals. OU was in the dark prepping this morning.

BrngBkLilRed

Post by BrngBkLilRed »

ArcoIris wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:13 am I hope I’m not out of line here. I’m basically a lurker but I read the chinaman’s post and felt obligated to elaborate. One of the victims on that wagon train was my great great grandfather. Fortunately he had left his family in Arkansas with his relatives until he could return for them.

No one has ever admitted that Brigham Young was involved but his cousin visited Cedar City, Utah shortly before the Massacre. It was a very rich wagon train. 1000 head of cattle for the miners in California plus gold money hidden in the floor of a wagon.

The Mormons recruited a few Paiute Indians (only a few were willing to participate). For over a hundred years they blamed it on the Indians even though they refused to participate once they saw what was happening. Several books have been written on it. The best one was “Blood of the Prophets, the Mountain Meadows Massacre” it was written by Will Bagley a Mormon on the expectation that he would give their version. They opened their records to him and he saw the real truth. He is no longer a Mormon.

Without going into a lot of details a branch on my family tree were Mormons from back in the 1840s, a 1st cousin several times removed was a major in the militia that attacked the Baker-Fancher Party at Mountain Meadows. Certainly not proud of the fact but thought it was interesting that a descendent of a victim and a blood kin of a perpetrator would end up on a OU fan message board.
OU Chinaman

Post by OU Chinaman »

ArcoIris wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:13 am I hope I’m not out of line here. I’m basically a lurker but I read the chinaman’s post and felt obligated to elaborate. One of the victims on that wagon train was my great great grandfather. Fortunately he had left his family in Arkansas with his relatives until he could return for them.

...you're not out of line.
I probably am for writing about this historic event, in the context of a Game Day Thread.
But, the Univ. that OKLAHOMA is playing today is THE Latter Day Saints Institution.
Like Notre Dame for Catholics, like Baylor for Baptists, like TCU for Disciples of Christ.

And just like in every other place and time with religions, the Mormons have a rather controversial history.
I'm assuming the Big 12 agreed to the school's rule about not playing on Sundays.

I hope my OP did not provoke painful memories. Be assured of my condolences and sadness for this event in your family annals.

Kick off in less than an hour. BOOMER!

ArcoIris

Post by ArcoIris »

Small world isn’t it, Red

Thanks Chinaman
White River

Post by White River »

Sooners lose thier second coin toss of the season. BYU defers, Sooners open on offense.
SoonerTony

Post by SoonerTony »

Hard to believe a Big 12 conference member has such a poorly maintained playing surface.
OU Chinaman

Post by OU Chinaman »

...punt MORMONS!

RussC

Post by RussC »

OU Chinaman wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:15 am ...punt MORMONS!

Freeman scared me yet again on the punt catch
#Mentally In Portal
OU Chinaman

Post by OU Chinaman »

...DILLON DROPPED A DIME ON THAT THROW!

OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

Gibson had to wait else its a TD. Thats the only weakness for DG, the long throw.

Good drive here. Need to punch it in tho.