Transfer Portal News (Opens 4 Dec)

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
OU Guy

Transfer Portal News (Opens 4 Dec)

Post by OU Guy »

Wish him nothing but the best. There will be gains and losses via portal over the next few months.

Last edited by OU Guy on Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
In Brent I Trust :D
Oklahombre

Post by Oklahombre »

I think this is old or delayed news on Hicks. He portaled in the spring and pretty sure he was not on the official roster.
WishBone

Post by WishBone »

On3 posted it today for some reason ....I saw it also and thought ??????
Opinions are still "OK" ...Correct?
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

Oklahombre wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:58 pm I think this is old or delayed news on Hicks. He portaled in the spring and pretty sure he was not on the official roster.
Strange why they just posted today. Unless its officially in portal (open?)

Also this was posted

Bixby_Sooner

Post by Bixby_Sooner »

MH came in with the class of 2019, so he will have 2 years to play (due to covid) after this year. He is one of the first to recognize that the current competition is well above what it was when he arrived in Norman.

I hope he catches on with a quality program and wish him all the success in the world wherever he lands.
A commitment is NOT a reservation - Brent Venables 3/21/22
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

I see OU on the list

TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Did we recruit this guy out of HS?
aka Crimson47
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

TropicalSooner wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:54 am Did we recruit this guy out of HS?
I don’t think so. He was a late flip from GA to aTm. He’s from Milton FL. It appears he mostly was involved with SEC teams. So he flipped late and is now a portal after 1 year. Some might be better to stay away from.

Its gonna get real busy in the portal soon.
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

Partial article, the meat of it is behind paywall.

Which positions should Oklahoma prioritize in the transfer portal?
The NCAA transfer portal's 30-day postseason window opens Dec. 4. Here's a look at which positions Oklahoma should pursue this offseason.

Tom Green18 mins
NORMAN — The college football regular season is drawing to a close, and soon the transfer portal will be open for business.

As we enter the final week of the regular season and conference championship week, many players from across the college football landscape have already announced their intent to enter the transfer portal (those whose coaches were fired midseason have already had the opportunity to jump in the portal). Things will really get rolling on Dec. 4, when the first 30-day window for transfers begins the Monday after conference championship weekend.

While Brent Venables has said he doesn’t want to lean too heavily into the transfer portal when it comes to constructing Oklahoma’s roster, he’s also “not naïve” and understands the necessity of utilizing the portal to address needs that supplement roster talent while still relying on high school recruiting as the foundation for the program.

“What the portal allows you to do is you can enhance a position when you have a sudden departure — whether that’s through leaving on their own or maybe you’ve got a bunch of guys at one position graduating or they declare early for the draft,” Venables said back in September. “It allows you to — if you don’t have as many questions answered maybe you can bring in a guy that is more of a safety valve, if you will. But the biggest thing, the biggest impact is where somebody can come in at a position of need and make it better immediately. So, it all depends on where your roster is and what type of guys you’re able to recruit out of high school…. I know how with the fluidity of players being able to leave, you’ve got to maximize when you feel like you need to — the opportunity to recruit in the free agent market.”

Oklahoma had 25 players enter the transfer portal last offseason, while Venables and his staff brought in 17 transfers, including nine on defense, seven on offense and one on special teams. Many of them — offensive tackle Walter Rouse, defensive tackles Da’Jon Terry and Jacob Lacey, defensive end Trace Ford, Cheetah linebacker Dasan McCullough, wide receiver Andrel Anthony, safety Reggie Pearson Jr., tight end Austin Stogner and punter Luke Elzinga — have played key roles for the Sooners this season.

While the Sooners have yet to have any players hit the portal since the beginning of this season, things could change in the coming days and weeks as the regular season winds down and the transfer window ramps up. Attrition is bound to happen, to some extent, and Oklahoma is also bound to explore its options in the portal as well, as Venables continues to try to upgrade the roster as part of his rebuilt.

“By the end of the year, things reveal themselves, and maybe you’re somewhere else,” Venables said in September. “But you have an inkling with guys graduating, where young people are, what an immediate need—where you can bring a guy in that you feel like can make a difference.”

With that in mind, let’s examine which positions Oklahoma should look to target when the postseason transfer window opens Dec. 4…

https://247sports.com/college/oklahoma/ ... 221029338/
AllSooner

Post by AllSooner »

I can't see any of the BV recruits hitting the portal. I believe his "commitment is not a reservation" theme along with how he treats the athletes will bear that out. Now there may be a few of the pre-BV era that may want another shot somewhere else.
RussC

Post by RussC »

I think I heard Teddy say that we have 9 DL/EDGE players who are in their final year of eligibility. Sounds like that group should be a priority for portal pick up
#Mentally In Portal
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

Field Goal kicker
walt

Post by walt »

Marcus Hicks was a wrestler and football player from Wichita. He was very good at both sports. I know that OU recruited Hicks hard, as they wanted him as a DT. When he came to OU, he was redshirted in his first year. At the beginning of his Sophomore or Junior year, he was moved from the DL to the OL. Hicks just never got close to being a starter.

He is just one of dozens of kids who were great players during their high school sports but never made their way during their college football game. If anyone wants to do some research, It would be interesting to see how many excellent high school prospects give their all and never make the grade. Some kids look like great recruits but just don't have the goods at the college level. Hicks is just one of dozens that don't will never make the grade anywhere.
"
Brent Venables will be the next "B" of a heck OU Head Coach."
WishBone

Post by WishBone »

I believe it happens all the time Walt.
Opinions are still "OK" ...Correct?