“Go Joe” Game

This forum has a collection of posts of great moments in Sooner history
Raul

Post by Raul »

Bottom post of the previous page:

TropicalSooner wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:25 pm I'll never forget how Little Joe always carried the ball like it was a loaf of bread.
After a game in which he had a fumble, a writer asked Switzer about it post game and Switzer said something to the effect: "What am I supposed to say? I said Joe, don't fumble. I don't know what else to say to him." Classic.
That was one reason Elvis Peacock was so valuable. It was his job to be there to recover Joe’s fumbles.
AllSooner

Post by AllSooner »

EMan, this video is the same as the OU Guy's OP of the The Ref......only this one goes a step further and gives you that 2-point conversion you mentioned in your post.
SoonerinLA

Post by SoonerinLA »

This post has me again deciding whether Billy Sims or Lil Joe was the best OU running back ever. I've always thought it was Sims.
:horns:
Fly

Post by Fly »

Well yes & no. Sims was maybe better in total yardage but we are talking fun to watch. Like the post above said he was
Smoke & mirrors. Even Barry Sanders with his mobility did not match the smoke & mirrors of little Joe. He was one in a lifetime.

🪰Fly :BV: :ou:
OU Chinaman

Post by OU Chinaman »

SoonerinLA wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:17 am This post has me again deciding whether Billy Sims or Lil Joe was the best OU running back ever. I've always thought it was Sims.

...this has been a subject cussed and discussed for years on ST.
I don't think ANYBODY can definitively state WHO WAS OU'S "GREATEST RUNNING BACK."
There have just been so many GREAT RB's!

It's more a question of who YOUR PERSONAL FAVORITE IS... or who YOUR PERSONAL TOP 5 OR TOP 3 IS.
Mine would be:

1. BILLY SIMS
2.MARCUS DUPREE
3.JOE WASHINGTON
4. Steve Owens
5. Greg Pruitt

:ou: :ou: :ou: :rice:
Fly

Post by Fly »

I agree with Chinaman. I truly think the one that could have been never did. Was Dupree, another story all together. That guy was unbelievable. As strong & tuff as Earl Campbell but much faster. A good book to read on him, title “The best, that never was”
That is a great read, & a very sad story about a kid from Mississippi that was the # one recruit in America that was all he was
Billed to be. I followed his recruiting like no other.I went to the spring game, & standing next to the wall that encircles the field,
Right behind the players bench. I went to see this kid. When they sent him out, on the field his first play, he broke it for a TD knocking
a DL on his butt. Then I heard Buster Rhyme’s on the side lines say (That MF,s bad) sorry but that is what he said word for word🤣
Lord it is true “ There’s only one Oklahoma” !

🪰Fly :BV: :ou: (What a Great time in the history of Sooner Football)
Pokerman

Post by Pokerman »

SoonerinLA wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:45 am I was there with three OU friends and a Mizzou friend. A truly great memory. Let's not forget we needed the 2 point conversation to win. Joe got it.
Wow. I was there too! Actually one of the few games I've been able to attend since I graduated. I was in the end zone seats farthest from where L'il Joe scored.
Lots of obnoxious Mizzou fans after the game. Wasn't sure I was going to get back to my car unscathed.
Pokerman

Post by Pokerman »

SoonerinLA wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:17 am This post has me again deciding whether Billy Sims or Lil Joe was the best OU running back ever. I've always thought it was Sims.
Who was the "best" is open for debate. Who was the "most exciting to watch" is not. Lil Joe by a mile.

I have videos of all or part of OU games going all the way back to the late 40's, but very little of Joe Washington. Back then we were only allowed to be on TV once or twice a year as I recall.
In addition, I believe we were on probation during much of his time at OU and our games couldn't be televised.