Start Jackson Arnold?

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
OU Guy

Start Jackson Arnold?

Post by OU Guy »

Curious what people think. I say yes mainly because we have lost all our season goals. And he needs experience for next year in SEC. Remember, SEC does not have their first 3 games OOC so we could play an SEC team very first game of year.

I do not think we will start JA so thus is just me expressing my opinion. I have been on the DG bandwagon saying his experience gives him the edge. But today his experience made no difference (long Int should not be thrown) and throwing short of sticks.

It will likely be a topic from various OU fanbases in the days ahead. I am at a point now to look ahead and do things that help us next year. Two blown games both easily winnable if we just run a normal offense and make throws. But this great season fell off the rails and we can only look ahead. We still have a great class coming. And injuries hurt today as well. But its time to forget this mickey mouse conference and focus on SEC.
In Brent I Trust :D
StatesEye

Post by StatesEye »

I don't think it's entirely the QB. It's the quality of receivers that we have.....but that is only one spot of deficiency on this team.
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

StatesEye wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 6:27 pm I don't think it's entirely the QB. It's the quality of receivers that we have.....but that is only one spot of deficiency on this team.
We don’t know if its receivers because we only see who he attempted the throw to not who was open. On that last play we had a wr breaking open 5 years past the LOS. What I’m sayimg is JA may make a different read but we’ll never know if he never plays. What little he has played was great. Granted, we had drops today too so there is blame to go around 100%.

I’m just ready to move on. Mostly frustrated but wanting to prep for SEC and DG is gone end of year.
pippen

Post by pippen »

Not sure what difference it makes. The problem is at OC. 3rd pathetically called game in a row.
SD-OU

Post by SD-OU »

JA will not be starting. But I sure would like to see him in for a number of series. He might be able to check off Lebby’s dumb calls and score some points.
WishBone

Post by WishBone »

Give it Up!
Opinions are still "OK" ...Correct?
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

Won’t make any difference.
captnop

Post by captnop »

pippen wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 6:32 pm Not sure what difference it makes. The problem is at OC. 3rd pathetically called game in a row.
My thoughts… a bunch odd plays behind the LOS … then DG HAS to make a long pass and the defense knows it. Yes last week DG pick 6 costs OU the game…. But the play calling the since Texas has been bad. Last week Ou gets the int and the offense can’t take advantage.. this week all the offense can do for the entire second-half is a touchdown and a field goal
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

Zgeo wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 7:07 pm Won’t make any difference.
How do we know for sure? JA is our future. Something to ponder with the dropped passes (and wrs should not have dropped them) - DG is left handed so his spiral is opposite of right handed qbs. 98% of qbs are right handed and wrs get used to that their while life. Is it why they dropped balls? Very doubtful but is a small tidbit to ponder.

And if JA is our future it should make a difference if we want to have a chance next year with him. He will make different decisions than DG and quite possibly takes off running vice the sacks DG took. He might read a better wr throw. He might “lead” his wrs so they don’t have to slow up or come back to ball. And he might throw ints too.

We won’t change qbs I’m sure of it but I’d like to see JA in some real action vs 1st teamers before end of season. I like DG he is a really great guy. If he stays in I’ll root for him hard like I have all season. They won’t make a change based on some message board discussion but its an excercise I feel is a pertinent topic. And I know some will feel opposite and thats fine. Its great we can discuss things here without ridicule.

Another thing to ponder, technically DG can come back next year and that would be rough if JA assumes DG gets the starting and could portal out if so. JA needs a few chances to showcase his skills. I assume DG leaves but he may not get a high enough draft grade amd come back. I feel JA needs to be the starter heading into next season
SoonerTony

Post by SoonerTony »

I think the results would be roughly the same. JA has a stronger arm and probably wouldn’t underthrow the deep balls as much as DG does.

Then again, DG hit Anderson perfectly in stride on a deep ball today that was flat-out dropped.

I think we ride with DG. He ain’t perfect but he is FAR from the biggest problem we have.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

DG is QB1 and that isn't going to change. But I totally agree that at some point here we need to start getting Arnold some seasoning and some real game snaps. Trouble is, with games this close, it's hard to veer away from your starting QB.
Injuries have obviously taken a toll, and the way the officials are treating us should be an embarrassment to the league. But it is what it is and we have to press on. I hope we can build big enough leads to get JA some 1st team reps against the opponents 1st team defenses, but we also need receivers to start catching some balls. Not even talking about contested balls....just catch something. Anything.
Does Anthony have another year left for next year? That would be helpful for JA if we had him to throw to.
aka Crimson47
Fly

Post by Fly »

Boy I knew the blame game would start. Maybe the turn overs & mistakes had a effect? Or some of the horrible calls added to it? Maybe
the Aggies played us very hard today? Could be all of the above? 🫣

🪰Fly :BV: :ou:
Fly

Post by Fly »

Tropical Sooner you bring up some great points I was thinking about our receivers. We have had better, for sure. We would have seen
a big difference if Stutsman could have played also. That’s Football.

🪰Fly :BV: :ou:
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Mentioned this away, but I'll bring it up here too...
The rest of the way is not going to get any easier. The rest of the teams on our schedule now have seen all that they can get away with so we are going to be mauled the rest of the way out.
I'll be so glad to leave the freakin B12 and move on the SEC. Although right now, we are so beat up I'm not sure we could beat Vanderbilt. But at least the calls would be fair.
aka Crimson47
SoonerTony

Post by SoonerTony »

If ya’ll think the SEC refs aren’t gonna screw the new kid in the conference next year, I’m afraid you’re in for an unpleasant surprise.