OU vs Kansas Leadup Talk

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
OU Guy

OU vs Kansas Leadup Talk

Post by OU Guy »

This is their homecoming game but I like the road “early” games since fans are a bit less “sauced”.

In Brent I Trust :D
Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

It sure seems like OSU gets a lot of night games. They get another one on this schedule you posted.
You shall not pass
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

From viewership levels it appears the 11am is king. Since they are losing OU they want to milk it dry while they can. We are on national TV (Fox) and the pokes are Espn2. We get way more eyeballs.
SoonerTony

Post by SoonerTony »

I think the KU game is the most dangerous game remaining on the schedule, assuming their starting QB is healthy.

Although I must admit, Ok State is playing MUCH better since they ditched that stupid 3 quarterback rotation and went exclusively with Bowman. That may not be an easy win for the Sooners either.
RussC

Post by RussC »

Is Jalon Daniels ever going to suit up for KU again?
#Mentally In Portal
Fly

Post by Fly »

Tony I have been thinking the same as you. Kansas has two weeks to prepare for us. They are a very good team & a well balanced
team. They have some great running backs & a great passing attack. We need to play a error free game . This game concerns me
more than any others we have left.

🪰Fly :BV: :ou:
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

Oklahombre

Post by Oklahombre »

Jump on that texas vs BYU game. Ewers is out for the season and Malik Murphy can't throw, or at least according to the horn fans. If this game was in Provo I would pick them to beat the horns outright. I still may pick them to win. One of my snarling dogs for sure. :horns: :hornsburning: :dude:
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

Kansas beat ucf 55-22

So by extrapolation …we need to play better…… :dillon:
gcruse7

Post by gcruse7 »

Also Kansas had a bye last week, so they will have 2 weeks to prepare for OU. We need to forget the Kansas of the past and take this opponent seriously. I haven't heard yet if QB Daniels is expected to play, but I would count on it. I'm sure that BV will have our team prepared. UCF was a perfect wake-up call. Lots to correct, but still a win.
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." Jim Elliot
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

SoonerTony

Post by SoonerTony »

Maybe someone more knowledgeable than me can address the running back situation. Yesterday we were handing the ball to Freeman on sweeps and to Farooq in the backfield as a running back. I know Walker was unavailable, but what about the freshmen backs, Smothers and Hicks? Are they just not ready to play?
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

No idea but maybe saving them for redshirt?

I do like how Sawchuk ran in 4th quarter and he would be a good sidekick to Walker. Hope je gets more run.

If weather is rainy next Sat we’ll need more run game most likely
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

SoonerTony wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:31 pm Maybe someone more knowledgeable than me can address the running back situation. Yesterday we were handing the ball to Freeman on sweeps and to Farooq in the backfield as a running back. I know Walker was unavailable, but what about the freshmen backs, Smothers and Hicks? Are they just not ready to play?
Someone wrote that Walker talked back to or yelled at a coach so he didn’t play last game. We really needed him especially before the 4th when the defense of ufc finally got tired and run lanes opened up. His tough running and better pass blocking would have made a difference early in the game. He is the highest rated RB on the Sooners per PFF….those new plays with new personnel made me think coaches felt that UCF was weak enough that they could experiment in the game against them, if that was the case they were wrong….

:BV: :ou:
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

Zgeo wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:27 pm
SoonerTony wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:31 pm Maybe someone more knowledgeable than me can address the running back situation. Yesterday we were handing the ball to Freeman on sweeps and to Farooq in the backfield as a running back. I know Walker was unavailable, but what about the freshmen backs, Smothers and Hicks? Are they just not ready to play?
Someone wrote that Walker talked back to or yelled at a coach so he didn’t play last game. We really needed him especially before the 4th when the defense of ufc finally got tired and run lanes opened up. His tough running and better pass blocking would have made a difference early in the game. He is the highest rated RB on the Sooners per PFF….those new plays with new personnel made me think coaches felt that UCF was weak enough that they could experiment in the game against them, if that was the case they were wrong….

:BV: :ou:
So you think they held him out to experiment, and he’d have played vs another team? Maybe I read it wrong. The program is bigger than a player. Maybe Walker needs to think about how he let his team down via outburst directed at coach. If not held accountable then other players know you can get away with it.

We have to trust the coaches who see them every day. Its not just runnimg ability why some play over others. Its protection and knowing playbook. I moticed by stats our qb had the most pressures he’s seen all year and it might be the other RBs are not as good at protection. We as fans sometimes look at stats only but the I players spend around 70% (or more) of their on field time not getting the ball. We may have 1RB, 1TE and 3WRs and only 0 or 1 gets the ball (0 because of QB runs). So those players have to do so many other workman things to make it all go right. If a RB misses a block it kills the whole play design. Ot he runs wrong play call.

I thonk thats why Sawchuk didn’t see field much in first half of year, reports were he was slacking a bit in practice which coaches have to know players inserted will run every play call perfectly for it to have a chance.