OU Women's Soccer: RRR vs Texas: Thursday Night @ John Crain 7PM

Discussions on any and all things OU women's sports
OUBeliever56A

OU Women's Soccer: RRR vs Texas: Thursday Night @ John Crain 7PM

Post by OUBeliever56A »

The Oklahoma Sooner Soccer Team will take the field at John Crain tonight to play Texas in another Red River Rivalry match in a big match on Thursday night. The Sooners are currently in 10th Place in the Big 12 Standings with three Big 12 matches left. OU's record is 2-3-2 in the Big 12 and 6-7-3 overall. Texas is in 4th Place in the Big 12 with a 4-2-1 record and a 10-3-2 record overall.

I think the forecast is for a windy match today with the wind maybe dying off as the match starts tonight. Here is the Sooner staff writers article about tonight's match.

https://soonersports.com/news/2023/10/1 ... -in-norman

One thing that will concern the Sooners tonight is the defensive play against the Texas Duo of Missimo and Byars. Missimo is leading the Big 12 in goals, assists and points. Missimo has 17 goals with 16 assists and 50 points. she also has 5 match winning goals. Byars is second in goals with 13 and third in assists with 10 and second and points with 36. Emma Hawkins leads the Sooners with 9 goals and 21 points. Alexis Washington leads the Sooners with assists.

Texas has lost only to BYU and Texas Tech in the Big 12. both of those teams are ranked in the Top 25. Texas is just outside the Top 25 at #29.

It would be wonderful if the Sooners can pick up a point tonight with a tie and it would be a significant upset if the Sooners can win tonight against Texas. If OU can manage to keep Texas from scoring more than 2 goals, OU has a chance to pick up a point tonight. The Sooners do need every point they can pick up as they have another two tough matches left against BYU on Monday and then OSU a week from Monday. all three teams are in the Top 5 of the Big 12.

It was good to see Michelle Pak back in the midfield last match against Cincinnati last Saturday. That should help the midfield play of the Sooners tonight as she works her way back into the minutes and shape after missing I think, 4 games.

Good luck to the Sooners tonight against Texas. Maybe the Sooners can channel the Sooner football team's effort last Saturday as they defeated the Longhorns in the final minute of play.

Boomer Sooner!
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Here are the Big 12 standings thru Monday - Oct 9th.

1st Place - Texas Tech 6-0-1 with 19 points - overall 12-0-1.
2nd Place - TCU 5-1-1 with 16 points - overall 9-4-2.
3rd Place - BYU 4-0-3 with 15 points - overall 11-1-3.
4th Place - Texas 4-2-1 with 13 points - overall 10-3-2.
T-5th Place - OSU 4-3-0 with 12 points - overall 11-5-0.
T-5th Place - UCF 4-3-0 with 12 points - overall 8-5-0.
T-7th Place - Baylor 3-3-1 with 10 points - overall 8-5-2.
T-7th Place - West Virginia 3-3-1 with 10 points - overall 5-7-3.
9th Place - Cincinnati 2-2-3 with 9 points - overall 3-6-5.
10th Place - Oklahoma 2-3-2 with 8 points - overall 6-7-2.
11th Place - Houston 2-5-0 with 6 points - overall 8-6-1.
12th Place - Kansas State 1-5-1 with 4 points - overall 3-9-3.
13th Place - Iowa State 1-6-0 with 3 points - overall 4-10-1.
14th Place - Kansas 0-5-2 with 2 points - overall 3-6-6.

Here are the matches that will be played tonight in the Big 12 Soccer action.

Texas Tech at UCF - Tech has it going tonight and should probably pick up a win tonight in Orlando on the road.
Kansas at Iowa State - The two teams are in the bottom two teams in the standings. With a win either team could pick up 3 BIG points. I think Kansas gets a win tonight perhaps.
Cincinnati at Baylor - I think Baylor is playing better and should win tonight at home.
Houston at TCU - TCU needs to keep pace with Tech for first place. TCU should win tonight. A surprise win by Houston would hurt OU in the standings.
BYU at Oklahoma State - OSU had a tough three-match stretch losing all 3 matches. OSU needs a win but BYU is tough. A tie or BYU win would not surprise me.
West Virginia at Kansas State - I think West Virginia is playing better now, I expect WV to win in Manhattan.
Texas at OU - See above!
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

The Oklahoma Sooner Women Soccer Team picked up a huge win over the Texas Longhorns with a 2-0 win. The Sooners scored two goals in the second half.

The Sooner defense also played very well against the high scoring Longhorns.

It was a big win for the Sooners! More on the match in the morning.

Boomer Sooner!
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

The Sooners defeated Texas in RRR Soccer on Thursday night 2-0 in front of 2082 fans (3rd largest crowd in history) at John Crain Field.

"What a performance from our team," first-year head coach Matt Mott said. "I couldn't be more proud of how our team fought, fought and fought for 90 minutes. We executed the game plan perfectly and had two big goals for us to get us a win. There were so many variables tonight with the wind and so for our team to figure it out when they needed to most was really special."

Coach Mott now has his first signature win as the Sooner Women's Soccer team to use a tool as he tries to build the Sooner Soccer program higher. Here is the Sooner staff writers article about the win last night.

https://soonersports.com/news/2023/10/1 ... -in-norman

The effort last night was very high by the Sooners. The lineup alignment was tweaked just a bit for the Texas match as the Sooners were focused on stopping the double scoring threat of Missimo and Byars. Callie England was shadowing Missimo while a couple of Sooners were shadowing Byars (Clifton with others). The forwards aligned much of the game with Emma Hawkins in the middle, Dani Wolfe to the right side and Alexis Washington on the left side. Michelle Pak and Hadley Murrell were forward in the midfield with Ella Pappas and Muriel Kroflin in the back of the midfield area. England, Clifton and Andi Wolfe were on the defensive line in front of Olivia Ramey in Goal.

I thought the defensive effort by the Sooners was superb. Only twice did Texas really have a solid chance to score. On one of those chances two Longhorns both attempted to kick the ball at the same time with an open shot at the goal. The result was a deflected shot that was up over the crossbar causing no harm. The other chance resulted in a scuffed shot that Ramey secured.

The Sooners only played 14 players last night with Leonie Weber, Esalenna Galekhutle and Keller Matise playing as subs. Nine Sooners played 78 minutes or more last night.

The first half saw no goals by either team. But the Sooners broke through with a goal in the 55th minute of the match. The goal came on a set piece from a Corner Kick. Kroflin lifted the ball out in front of the goal where Leonie Weber played the ball in the air to the left side of the goal. Dani Wolfe was there to play the ball in the air and kicked the ball past the Teas GK for the Sooners first goal.

In the 72nd minute the Sooners picked up a big insurance goal when Washington controlled the ball on the right side of the Longhorn offensive end. Washington moved past a Texas defender to pass the ball into the group of players including Texas defenders and Hawkins. Hawkins got a heel on the ball to move the ball across the box to the left side where Ella Pappas located as Pappas quickly kicked the ball past a diving Texas GKer. 2-0 Sooners with 18 minutes to play.

There was a true celebration after the win by the Sooners who have played well this season, especially at home. the Sooners are 6-1-1 at home this season. Many of the players have logged long minutes in each game this season. The win over their rival most likely made that effort worth the pain and sweat for the players. The win also puts the Sooners in a very good position to advance to the Big 12 postseason tourney in two weeks or so. The Sooners jumped to a Tie-8th place in the Big 12 with the win and a record of 3-3-2 and 11 points. The top 6 Big 12 teams receive byes in the first round of the Big 12 Tourney. I think that the #7 team plays #10 and #8 plays #9 in the opening round with the winners playing the #2 and the #1 team respectively.

The Sooners get an extra day of rest before their next match with BYU on the 16th at John Crain Field for a 7 PM start. The Sooners will play their final regular season match on the following Monday in Stillwater in a 7 PM start. A win in the Bedlam matchup by the Sooners could lift Oklahoma into the top 6 teams in the the Big 12.

Congratulations to the Team and to Coach Mott and his coaching staff on the win.

Boomer Sooner!
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

In other play last night in Big 12 Soccer, here are the results.

- Texas Tech at UCF - Tech has been playing well and should probably pick up a win tonight in Orlando on the road. In a bit of an upset, UCF managed a TIE with Texas Tech last night in a 1-1 finish in Orlando.
- Kansas at Iowa State - The two teams are in the bottom two teams in the standings. With a win either team could pick up 3 BIG points. I think Kansas gets a win tonight perhaps. Iowa State managed to hold serve at home as they defeated Kansas 1-0.
- Cincinnati at Baylor - I think Baylor is playing better and should win tonight at home. In another small upset, Cincinnati managed to play Baylor to a TIE last night in a 2-2 result. The tie keeps Cincinnati in the Top 10 teams in the Big 12.
- Houston at TCU - TCU needs to keep pace with Tech for first place. TCU should win tonight. A surprise win by Houston would hurt OU in the standings. TCU held on to play to a TIE with Houston last night in a 2-2 final score. The tie score keeps Houston within distance of a playoff spot.
- BYU at Oklahoma State - OSU had a tough three-match stretch losing all 3 matches. OSU needs a win but BYU is tough. A tie or BYU win would not surprise me. BYU won over OSU last night 3-0 giving the Cowgirls their 4th straight loss.
- West Virginia at Kansas State - I think West Virginia is playing better now, I expect WV to win in Manhattan. West Virginia won 1-0 over K-State last night to keep WV in the Top 4 teams in the Big 12.

The current standings in the Big 12 are:

1st Place - Texas Tech 6-0-2 with 20 points - overall 12-0-2. - Remaining matches - Home OSU and @ Iowa State
2nd Place - BYU 5-0-3 with 18 points - overall 11-1-3. - Remaining matches - @ Oklahoma and Home UCF
3rd Place - TCU 5-1-2 with 17 points - overall 9-4-3. - Remaining matches - Home Baylor and @ Texas
T-4th Place - Texas 4-3-1 with 13 points - overall 10-4-2. - Remaining matches - @ Houston and Home TCU
T-4th Place - UCF 4-3-1 with 13 points - overall 8-5-1. - Remaining matches - @ Cincinnati and @ BYU
T-4th Place - West Virginia 4-3-1 with 13 points - overall 6-7-3. - Remaining matches - @ Kansas and Home Cincinnati
7th Place - OSU 4-4-0 with 12 points - overall 11-6-0. - Remaining matches - @ Texas Tech and Home Oklahoma
T-8th Place - Baylor 3-3-2 with 11 points - overall 8-5-3. - Remaining matches - @ TCU and @ Houston
T-8th Place - Oklahoma 3-3-2 with 11 points - overall 7-7-2. - Remaining matches - Home BYU and @ OSU
10th Place - Cincinnati 2-2-4 with 10 points - overall 3-6-6. - Remaining matches - Home UCF and @ West Virginia
11th Place - Houston 2-5-1 with 7 points - overall 8-6-2. - Remaining matches - Home Texas and Home Baylor
12th Place - Iowa State 2-6-0 with 6 points - overall 5-10-1. - Remaining matches - @ Kansas State and Home Texas Tech
13th Place - Kansas State 1-6-1 with 4 points - overall 3-10-3. - Remaining matches - Home Iowa State and @ Kansas
14th Place - Kansas 0-6-2 with 2 points - overall 3-7-6. - Remaining matches - Home West Virginia and Home Kansas State
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Coach Mott provided a very good pre-game speech!

\
AustinTXSooner

Post by AustinTXSooner »

The biggest difference that I noticed was the defense. It looked like we were marking players instead of zones. That made it difficult for Texas to get consistent offense. Texas has the two really good forwards, but they were almost always covered. Even the midfielders had difficulty getting passes.

I can only guess that Pappas is getting a lot more playing time because of her speed. Last year, I was hoping that she and Pak would get more playing time. I just wasn't expecting it to come at Weber's expense. Weber is very talented, she just doesn't have a lot of speed.

I feel like Pak has become the unsung hero of the midfield. She gives the other team fits.