Women's Basketball Full Schedule Released: 18 Conference Games

A new coach, new recruits, and a new attitude,
OUBeliever56A

Women's Basketball Full Schedule Released: 18 Conference Games

Post by OUBeliever56A »

The Complete Schedule for the OU Women's BB Team was released on the 26th of September. The Big 12 portion of the schedule includes 18 conference games. The Sooners play each of the other 13 teams once and they play 5 teams in a home and road series.

The Sooners play the four new conference teams, UCF, BYU, Cincinnati and Houston in the first six conference games. The five teams that they play twices are; Cincinnati, Kansas State, Texas, Kansas and Oklahoma State. The five teams that the Sooners play twice had a combined 40-48 conference record in 2022 which would seem to be a bit of a break for the Sooners. OU plays UCF, Cincinnati, Kansas State, Texas Tech, Texas, Kansas, Oklahoma State, TCU and Baylor at home. They play BYU, Cincinnati, Kansas State, Houston, Texas, Kansas, Oklahoma State, Iowa State ad West Virginia on the road.

In the Sooner out-of conference schedule the Sooners play 2 future SEC opponents in Ole Miss on the road and Tennessee in the Ft. Myers Tip-Off event. The Sooners play two ACC teams also as they play Virginia on the road and North Carolina in the Jumpman Invitational in Charlotte.

The Sooners open the season with an exhibition game against West Texas A&M in Lloyd Noble Center on October 31st. I wonder if we will see any ghosts and goblins at that game in the stands.

The Sooners host Wichita State, Oral Roberts, Alabama State, Grambling, UNLV and Southern in Lloyd Noble. But the Grambling game just shows the game in Norman. I hope this game will be in McCasland Field House. The one other non-conference game is against Princeton in the Ft. Myers Tip-Off event.

Here is the Sooners Schedule Page:

https://soonersports.com/sports/womens- ... ath=wbball

Here is the Sooner Roster for the 2023-2024 season:

https://soonersports.com/sports/womens- ... ath=wbball

Here is how I see the players lining up for the upcoming season.

Centers: Liz Scott (R-SR), Beatrice Culliton (SO), Kiersten Johnson (SO) and Landry Allen (FR)

I think it will be interesting to see if Liz Scott can become a consistent center and play the big minutes of a game. It will be interesting to see if Culliton has improved on the offensive end and can score when needed. I think Johnson can contribute, but I hope se is stronger and smoother. I think Allen has an opportunity to play alot as a freshman. I had heard she was a thin, tall player at Tuttle. At the Champions Parade, I thought Landry looked solid physically. If she can shoot the ball ad rebound, she can play in her freshman year.

Big Forwards: Skylar Vann (SR), Sahara Williams (FR) and Jordan Moser (R-SR)

Vann and Williams will be very important pieces of the puzzle for OU in 2023-24. Vann can play inside and outside and will have to do both. Williams as freshman could led the Sooners in scoring and perhaps rebounds if she works hard on the boards. Both will have to be strong defensive players. Moser will be a backup and an extra coach on the bench.

Swing Players: Payton Verhulst (JR), Kennedy Tucker (R-SR), Reyna Scott (SO) and Audrey Jones (SR)

I am anxious to see Verhulst on the court playing. She should be one of the two best scorers for the Sooners in 2023-24. Her ability to run the floor is a key. She could play forward in defense if her defense and rebounding is strong. Tucker is a hybrid player that does the job on defense but needs to step up the scoring this season. She could play alot of minutes and needs to add scoring to her resume. I think Reyna Scott can take a step forward this season and become a strong second line player off the bench and play everything from point guard to forward inside on defense. Jones is a scorer and a hustler. I do not see her as a starter, but she will be a presence on the offensive end and might be the best 3-point shooter on the team.

Point Guards: Neveah Tot (SR), Lexi Keys (SR) and Kayla Cooper (SO)

Tot is a veteran player that knows how to get the Sooners running the floor. she does everything well except play defense inside against taller guards. I think Tot is a key this season. The better she plays, the better the Sooners are. I do not know too much about Keys. She is a bigger guard though can score a little and should be a capable backup to Tot. I think Cooper could be a good player if given the chance and is 5'9" as the tallest point guard. She could be in the regular rotation of players and can earn additional playing times as the season progresses.

It will be interesting to see how Coach Barancyzk handles this young team and brand new version of the Sooners in her 3rd season at Oklahoma. I am looking forward to watching the new look Sooner Women in 2023-24.

Boomer Sooner!
Sooneryankee13

Post by Sooneryankee13 »

Does anyone know what happened to Kelbie Washington?? Did she transfer??
VNSooner

Post by VNSooner »

Washington was a real spark plug with great quickness and speed. Hope she is still with the team.
MsProudSooner

Post by MsProudSooner »

VNSooner wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:13 am Washington was a real spark plug with great quickness and speed. Hope she is still with the team.
She's not listed on the roster on SoonerSports.com.
Sooneryankee13

Post by Sooneryankee13 »

So no one actually knows what happened to kelbie?? Transfer?? Injury and can't play anymore?? Just quit basketball?? Why is it so hard at ou to find out what happened to a player
TN Sooner

Post by TN Sooner »

Her X profile still lists her as being at University of Oklahoma, but doesn’t really reference being on the basketball team. Not a very active account, but she did just repost something yesterday.

Sometimes, there are certain things about these youngsters that the general public just isn’t supposed to know. I don’t mean anything cryptic by that - I have no knowledge of anything, but I assume she (and the team) didn’t feel there was anything to share with the general public.
TN Sooner

Post by TN Sooner »

Meant to add a link to her profile.

https://x.com/kelw35?s=21&t=4kcBWU0qAZq3Mw84-8z8Jw