RB Situation

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
OldTimer

RB Situation

Post by OldTimer »

Kind of hesitant about bringing this subject up but it needs to be talked about. What is going on there? No one but Walker and Major show they need to play. My take on it is Lebby won’t leave any one of them in there long enough to establish a rhythm. I think 4-5 of them are capable if left in long enough to break a sweat. If this isn’t addressed soon we will see some good Sooner backs hit the portal and that would be a shame. I know the linemen aren’t opening big holes but everyone of our backs is more than capable of making something out of nothing. Maybe they don’t care because they know they will be pulled anyways. That elephant needs to be addressed this week.
“Come now, let us reason together “
cushcreekmont

Post by cushcreekmont »

OldTimer wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:43 am Kind of hesitant about bringing this subject up but it needs to be talked about. What is going on there? No one but Walker and Major show they need to play. My take on it is Lebby won’t leave any one of them in there long enough to establish a rhythm. I think 4-5 of them are capable if left in long enough to break a sweat. If this isn’t addressed soon we will see some good Sooner backs hit the portal and that would be a shame. I know the linemen aren’t opening big holes but everyone of our backs is more than capable of making something out of nothing. Maybe they don’t care because they know they will be pulled anyways. That elephant needs to be addressed this week.
I am now concerned that Murray is f-ing up the RB play. The choice of RB to be in games is beyond mystifying. If it IS MURRAY, Lebby needs to overrule him, and if not BV should! Something is DAMN WRONG with RB PT. If Murray is an rear end "practice determines play" guy, then he recruited very poorly. Sawchuk needs to get reps.

The ONLY thing that might mitigate my criticism is IF not using Sawchuk is to keep texsa from preparing for him. That would be wild, but not totally out of the question.
texsa sucks!
pippen

Post by pippen »

cushcreekmont wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:48 am
OldTimer wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:43 am
The ONLY thing that might mitigate my criticism is IF not using Sawchuk is to keep texsa from preparing for him. That would be wild, but not totally out of the question.
I have a feeling we might be saving quite a bit for the worshippers of the horned beast. BV learned from Stoops, who well understood that there are only two games each year that truly matter with respect to ultimate job security.
WishBone

Post by WishBone »

Cush wrote:Something is DAMN WRONG with RB PT. If Murray is an book "practice determines play" guy, then he recruited very poorly. Sawchuk needs to get reps.

Thaer is more that goes into being a RB at the U of O than just scoring TD's and playing time.Theres School work and grades,Practice,Team Meetings ,Schmitty time,etc........just maybe some of these players werent fulfilling their obligations.I SERIOUSLY douby Murray is a"Problem"(one of the top RB recruiters in the country)Lebby has since stated that Majors had )the best week of practice and he would get the bulk of the carries.Same song and Dance;'Coaches do the job they are paid to(win games;( and fans bellyache???

:BV: :ou:
Opinions are still "OK" ...Correct?
cushcreekmont

Post by cushcreekmont »

WishBone wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:07 am Cush wrote:Something is DAMN WRONG with RB PT. If Murray is an book "practice determines play" guy, then he recruited very poorly. Sawchuk needs to get reps.

Thaer is more that goes into being a RB at the U of O than just scoring TD's and playing time.Theres School work and grades,Practice,Team Meetings ,Schmitty time,etc........just maybe some of these players werent fulfilling their obligations.I SERIOUSLY douby Murray is a"Problem"(one of the top RB recruiters in the country)Lebby has since stated that Majors had )the best week of practice and he would get the bulk of the carries.Same song and Dance;'Coaches do the job they are paid to(win games;( and fans bellyache???

:BV: :ou:
"Fans" can see the inadequacies of the RB room! Recruiting in *s means nothing. Recruiting PRODUCTION matters. If Murray is making the RB playing time decisions, Lebby needs to intervene. Walker is fine in the 4th quarter and short yardage. Major is not (and has not for his tenure) performing at a high level.

Having watched football since the 1950s, I have seen many RBs (and other players) that excel in games and are not great in practice. While I am not privy to the current team's practice, the RB play is poor.
texsa sucks!
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

I think Wishbone nailed it and with a name like that likely knows a lot about running game.

I did read we changed to more of zone blocking in 2nd half and had better luck. I do want to see Sawchuk but again like stated perhaps his leadup week has some issues we are not knowing about.

We know this staff will play freshman if earned so there mist be other reasons. I also think our oline has struggled some this year but are slowly finding their way. That DT for Cimci is pretty darn good too
In Brent I Trust :D
RussC

Post by RussC »

Major blew at least two blitz pickups. Just to add to the consternation
#Mentally In Portal
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

I dont think there is any problem at rb. Murray is playing the right guys. Walker and Major are the top two, walker is a strong runner with exceptional balance but not breakaway speed in the open field, Major is a strong runner not nearly the same balance in a crowd but far better in the open field. Sawchuck cant complain he is averaging 2.6 yards a carry thru 4 games, while the rest are all above 4 per carry. Barnes is doing well at 4.38 but has got lots of carry’s so he cant complain Barnes is #3, Arguably Sawchuck is not #4 when compared to the others….

Here are the stats…..

http://cfbstats.com/2023/team/522/rushing/index.html
captnop

Post by captnop »

Both Sawchuck and Barnes had injuries.. I think Sawchuck missed quite a bit of fall camp if I remember correctly. When he's been in there he's looked ok, but not great. Some of that I think has to do with the OL blocking. As a previous poster pointed out Walker is good at staying on his feet and bouncing around until something opens up. Major is a power runner. Probably for where the OL is, thats the combo we need.
cushcreekmont

Post by cushcreekmont »

OU Guy wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:22 am I think Wishbone nailed it and with a name like that likely knows a lot about running game.

I did read we changed to more of zone blocking in 2nd half and had better luck. I do want to see Sawchuk but again like stated perhaps his leadup week has some issues we are not knowing about.

We know this staff will play freshman if earned so there mist be other reasons. I also think our oline has struggled some this year but are slowly finding their way. That DT for Cimci is pretty darn good too
Changed AWAY from zone blocking in the second half!
texsa sucks!
OldTimer

Post by OldTimer »

Let me say again, I think they are all capable, but running backs need to get in a rhythm, just like a basketball shooter. You’re not going to get in rhythm with a handful of carriers spread out over a whole game. Stick one in there and leave him awhile. IF we don’t there’s going to be some portal entries. Maybe that’s what some of you want. I look at us having the #1 in the nation committed who hasn’t signed anything yet seeing four backs who are not getting enough of the rock to get in rhythm. DM & JL better be careful how they handle this situation, and yes it is a situation when one of the players Dad gets on X shaking his head.
“Come now, let us reason together “
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

In Brent I Trust :D
SoonerTony

Post by SoonerTony »

I just haven’t seen any of these RBs really separate themselves from the pack. A couple of the young guys have been dinged up, which hasn’t helped.

I’ll be very surprised if all of these backs stay at OU. There aren’t enough plays in a game to get carries for all of them and keep them happy. A couple of them are bound to leave for more playing time elsewhere. And that’s ok.
Oklahombre

Post by Oklahombre »

Wanted to get into this thread, enjoying the back and forth, but a change of pace post. How about that 19 yard run on third and 19 from inside the 5? I think it was Major and a brilliant call that I would haver never expected to work. That's why the big guys get the big check. @OU Guy Guy, can you find the video? :confusedplus:
cushcreekmont

Post by cushcreekmont »

Oklahombre wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:04 pm Wanted to get into this thread, enjoying the back and forth, but a change of pace post. How about that 19 yard run on third and 19 from inside the 5? I think it was Major and a brilliant call that I would haver never expected to work. That's why the big guys get the big check. @OU Guy Guy, can you find the video? :confusedplus:
That did work. There is also that saying about blind squirrels and acorns.

Given the risk of a pass, I would agree that it WAS a smart call. Making the yardage...lucky.
texsa sucks!