OU Week 2 Leadup Discussion/Tidbits

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
OU Guy

OU Week 2 Leadup Discussion/Tidbits

Post by OU Guy »

Okie dokie, we had a great week 1 but football weeks move fast. Game is 5pm on Espn+

Week 2 captains

In Brent I Trust :D
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

BixSooner

Post by BixSooner »

Looking at the box score of the La Tech/SMU game, it looks like the SMU D had a field day against the LT offensive line.

28 yards rushing for Tech and they gave up 6 sacks.

Now, how good exactly is that OL?
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

Early season unknowns…. Who and what is La Tech or SMU, just dont know, Have to improve each week and perfect our team…. :BV: :BV:
WishBone

Post by WishBone »

Lil stronger test for the defense this week.Thats what Im watchin.
Opinions are still "OK" ...Correct?
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

!!!

OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

Rat poison

OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

Man, Baker bled Crimson blood thru and thru. We were so lucky to be able to watch him play for our school.

RussC

Post by RussC »

OU Guy wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:18 am Rat poison

UCF dangerous team on the rise
#Mentally In Portal
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

Some BV presser notes. Going backwards so newer info on top and working down to older news. Spelling or other errors are beat writers:

—-

Venables on the portal: “The only part I don’t love is that we don’t give young people an opportunity to pause… We all know how impulsive we can be… It’s not always a bad thing to stick around and figure things out.”

Venables also said he likes it because it creates parody.

—-

Brent Venables on #Sooners freshman TE Kade McIntyre, who’d never played tight end when he got to Oklahoma:

“Great athletes transition quick. We sincerely told him he could choose [his position]… Hardworking dude. Loves the weight room; [he’s] in great condition.”

—-

Venables says SMU will do just fine in the ACC. Says they have a lot positives in their program that will allow them to compete at a high level.

—-

Venables on Calvin Thibodeaux, who is now the d-line coach at SMU: “He’s always a Sooner… Appreciate everything he did while he was here.”

Said he was up front with Calvin when he arrived that he was going to offer the d-line job to someone else.

—-

Brent Venables on his portal philosophy: "Where we have been the first couple of years is to me, my vision is it'll be not as much. But it's still going to be, I'm not naive. I know how, with the fluidity of players being able to leave, you've got to maximize."

—-

"They graded good. Winning grades. There is a zillion things you want those guys to be better at... It's a good start and I expect a stronger finish." -- Venables on cheetah position so far. #Sooners

—-

Venables on Harrington, CHEETAH spot: Winning grades, but there are a gazillion things you want those guys to be better at ... it's a good start. I expect a strong finish. (adds Bowen has repped at CHEETAH spot)

—-

Whether the OU fan out there wants to believe it or not ... get the sense Brent Venables and staff have great respect for SMU. Going to be a really good non-conference challenge this week particularly defensively.

—-

Asked BV about PJ Adebawore’s usage Saturday (didn’t play until second half).

Said PJ entered camp not exactly at 100 percent. But he’s developing well now, sounds like he’ll continue to play a bigger role for #Sooners defense.

—-

I asked Venables about the game day atmosphere. Thought it was interesting that he specifically said “once we get in the stadium it’s great.”

“Most young men, they want to play in an intense, passionate environment and they're paying attention to everything.”

—-

Venables on PJ Adebawore: “He came into camp a little bit banged up… My expectation is he’ll continue to enhance his role as the season goes on.”

—-

Venables: Developing your team and developing your depth is ongoing and something that we all have to be very conscious of regardless of what the next few weeks looks like.

—-

Venables on the #Sooners' competitive depth: "Guys that we feel like can give us quality reps are in our three deep."

—-

Venables also says that Gavin Sawchuk and R Mason Thomas "will be available" for the #Sooners matchup against SMU.

—-

Venables on Jayden Gibson: "Really proud of the progress he's made and the maturity you're seeing from him every day."

Gibson went for 54 yards and a touchdown on two catches vs Arkansas State.

—-

Some good news for the Sooners on the injury front with Coach Venables saying they didn't think cheetah Dasan McCullough had a high ankle sprain, WR Drake Stoops was ready to go back in on Saturday, and Davis Beville is an ankle issue (not knee as we all expected) and will be out another week or so.

—-

Venables on #Sooners backup QB Davis Beville, who left the game in a lot of pain Saturday after an awkward tackle from two Arkansas State defenders:

“He might be another week or so. The issue with him is [an] ankle sprain.”

—-

Venables on #Sooners' cornerback Gentry Williams:

"He didn't make his decision right away. He did take quite a bit of time to figure everything out. But, awesome family, great people. And don't think he was playing any kind of games. he's very focused and driven and committed."

—-

"Got a really good strong SMU team coming in here this weekend. Really looking forward to a challenge that they bring to the table. They've got to veteran football team."