When will we know?

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
OUGUS

When will we know?

Post by OUGUS »

Hi guys new to the board( although I’ve posted on others from time to time). I guess my question is when we know if things have truly changed as far as us taking that next step to being a good team again. As I look thru our schedule it’s EXTREMELY weak and looks like the only ranked team we will play this year is Texas.
OU Chinaman

Post by OU Chinaman »

...welcome OUGUS!
Think you'll like it here.

The Red River Shootout is almost ALWAYS the true measuring stick for a successful SOONER FOOTBALL Season.
Likely the only game OKLAHOMA will be the underdog in, given, as you mentioned, the relatively weak schedule.

BUT, there's a lot football to be played between now & Texass :hornsburning: !

Right now, bring me the heads of SMU! :cool:

:ou: :ou: :ou: :rice:
White River

Post by White River »

We won't know if we're good until we play Texas but we could find out we're not good any game between now and then. Texas will get their answers this week.

Welcome to the board Gus!
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

First of all, yes--welcome to SoonerTimes Gus. Looking forward to your posts. Hope you have an enjoyable time with us.

You ask a good question--in fact, I was thinking about posing the same question or a variation of it and you beat me to it.
You are correct in that our schedule is not stacked with ranked opponents. That's not to say some of the teams listed won't be a thorn in our side as Iowa State and Okie Lite have been in the past.
But to your question, I see a couple of answers. When will we know we have a good team?
1. When we beat Georgia in the Championship game. (Ha!)
or more likely.....
2. I think I am going to be looking for improvement in our game week by week against teams not named Arkansas State. Do we win convincingly? Do we execute our offense sharply and efficiently? Can our defense stop opponents run game in their tracks? Can our pass defense execute and defend properly. Can we get takeaways and convert them into points?

Although SMU, Tulsa, and Cincy are not ranked, they should all provide decent offenses and defenses for us to gauge our improvement from last year. And yes, Tejas will be the barometer as to whether we are recovering from the disaster of last year.

And beyond Tejas, OSU in Stillwater and BYU in Provo at 5,000 ft in mid-Nov I think both will provide solid tests as well.

I expect to play Tejas twice this year, and if we win both of them, then we should be off to the playoffs. And then the fun begins.
aka Crimson47
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

OUGUS wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:25 pm Hi guys new to the board( although I’ve posted on others from time to time). I guess my question is when we know if things have truly changed as far as us taking that next step to being a good team again. As I look thru our schedule it’s EXTREMELY weak and looks like the only ranked team we will play this year is Texas.
After Tx for sure but likely after Cinci road game prior. And honestly, your eyes will tell the tale they don’t lie. We just had our biggest opening season win (points wise) in 106 years. But for me it wasn’t the points rather type play I saw. Less missed tackles. 5 scoring drives if 10 or more plays. New names making plays. A coach who wasn’t concerned with the score and got 87 players on the field. WRs makimg great catches. Clean pockets you eat a snack lunch in. Perfect kicking game. I mean yes it was popcorn state. But even so, players have to make plays and normally some don’t. But every room on the team made plays and were “ready” ti make them - meaning well coached.

So to me, even in a blowout there are things to look for. Every blivk was checked. How many teams played popcorn states and struggled or even lost? Thats the point, we did waht we all expected they should do. Its now one less game we have left this year.

Welcome to the board. Join in the “games” we have here they add to the fun. If you want go to the pinned thread and tell us someting about yourself.

Also, go read this post by Clint Adams. There are some outstanding posters and knowledge here. And this is a great one to start with:

https://www.soonertimes.com/viewtopic.php?t=6023
In Brent I Trust :D
Shelstin

Post by Shelstin »

I hope that Tejas stays unbeaten until we get a little payback in Dallas. They will be huge for our ranking after that game. Realistically, they should lose this weekend, but it could be a test for both teams.
RussC

Post by RussC »

Shelstin wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 6:07 pm I hope that Tejas stays unbeaten until we get a little payback in Dallas. They will be huge for our ranking after that game. Realistically, they should lose this weekend, but it could be a test for both teams.
I’ll be rooting for Bama to lose vs Tex
#Mentally In Portal
Fly

Post by Fly »

Welcome Gus, there is some Great Sooner fans here, & join in to some of pickem contest there fun. I must agree with the Texas
Game. No matter it is always a exciting game.

Fly🪰 :BV: :ou:
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

RussC wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 6:17 pm
Shelstin wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 6:07 pm I hope that Tejas stays unbeaten until we get a little payback in Dallas. They will be huge for our ranking after that game. Realistically, they should lose this weekend, but it could be a test for both teams.
HUH! YOU OUT YOUR MIND!?...TX needs a goose egg!
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

inconnu wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:59 pm
For my taste, tx only has 2 potential adversaries I want them to beat: Norte Dome and LosuR(AKA orange aggy)
RussC

Post by RussC »

inconnu wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:59 pm
Ok maybe I need to rethink
#Mentally In Portal
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

To my eye this years team is vastly better than last year.. this year QB#2 is a brilliant 5 star last year QB32 was a TE. The WR this year catch contested passes, last year the WR dropped about 30% of the easy passes…..I could go on but you get the idea…..

With the portal nd easy transfers lots of teams are good that dont get an early season ranking from past reputation. For example unranked Duke beat highly ranked Clemson like a red headed stepchild. Don’t be fooled we have tough games ahead…….

As far as your question read the thread “ My thoughts from todays game”
waddy's ghost

Post by waddy's ghost »

OU Chinaman wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:06 pm ...welcome OUGUS!
Think you'll like it here.

The Red River Shootout is almost ALWAYS the true measuring stick for a successful SOONER FOOTBALL Season.
Likely the only game OKLAHOMA will be the underdog in, given, as you mentioned, the relatively weak schedule.

BUT, there's a lot football to be played between now & Texass :hornsburning: !

Right now, bring me the heads of SMU! :cool:

bingo
OU Chinaman

Post by OU Chinaman »

...the only time I EVER pull for OwussU is when they play Texass.

I'd pull for the Taliban, the CCP, or Russia if they're playing Texass! :cool:

RussC

Post by RussC »

OU Chinaman wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:32 pm

...the only time I EVER pull for OwussU is when they play Texass.

I'd pull for the Taliban, the CCP, or Russia if they're playing Texass! :cool:

I plead temporary insanity. Roll tide!
#Mentally In Portal