The Unexpected End to the Inaugural Season for the Spark!

Off topic forum to post about the OKC Spark

This is an experiment. If it is popular enough then we will keep it
TropicalSooner

The Unexpected End to the Inaugural Season for the Spark!

Post by TropicalSooner »

First, I apologize for posting inaccurate information regarding the date and location of the playoff games. I was going by what was on the Spark's website schedule, and obviously that must have been a stab in the dark at that time when the season began, and when it came time for the playoffs they did not update their "calendar".
That, among many other things, must be addressed in the offseason if the Spark want their fans to see a polished professional product. But that is probably for another thread. I'll limit this one just to the headline above.

The first game of the WPF Playoffs was the game between the USSSA Pride and the OKC Spark. The Spark's Donnie Gobourne got the call and pitched really well, limiting the Pride to one run on three hits while striking out 9. The one run was in the third inning on a single, a passed ball, a sacrifice bunt and another single. Gobourne was perfect after that. However, one of the things that has plagued the Spark all season long (as we Sooners know all too well) is the number of LOB's and this time the Spark stranded 8 and was not able to bring home even one of their baserunners. D Escobedo pitched for the Pride and scattered 6 hits but allowed no runs for the win. Both pitchers threw complete games.
Here is the line score:
Team---------R-----H-----E-----LOB
Pride---------1------3-----0-------3
Spark---------0-----6-----0--------8

The second game of the playoff series with the Pride went no better. This time the Spark went with Keely Rochard to start the game but after one out, she was replaced by Keilani Ricketts who pitched the remainder of the game. I'm not sure what the strategy was for this. Ricketts didn't pitch badly, giving up 2 runs and scattering 7 hits with 4 strikeouts, but as in game one, the Spark simply couldn't buy a run. Ally Carda pitched for the Pride and threw a good game limiting the Spark to 4 hits over 7 innings. This time, the Spark left 6 on base to no avail. Here is the line score for game 2:
Team--------R-----H-----E-----LOB
Pride--------2-----7------0-----10
Spark-------0------4------1------6

Although the Pride finished third after the Spark in the regular season, they have at times been a thorn in the side to the Spark, and that showed up again in the post season. I think the Spark have excellent potential. They have a lineup that is strong with power and also has some small ball players too. I think Gobourne has been the bright spot on the pitching staff this year, and Coach Flores may look to bolster that staff in the the off season. I am looking forward to seeing what changes may be made before next year and what the next draft will bring to the Spark.

It will also be interesting to see if the WPF continue expansion to add more teams. That seems inevitable to me, at least to get beyond having the whole conference "make the playoffs".

All in all, I thought the Spark did well in their first season, and I look forward to seeing an even better season next year.

Go Spark!!!
aka Crimson47