Jackson Arnold Team Notes from TFB

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
OU Guy

Jackson Arnold Team Notes from TFB

Post by OU Guy »

This is post 1 from The Football Brainiacs, but read post 2 for the good stuff:

Sourced Team Notes | June 27th
– Charlie S – Posted on: June 27, 2023

Picked up a couple of notes over the last couple of days, mostly on DBs and WRs with a nice QB note sandwiched in there for you all!

***Source said the 7v7 work has been really spirited. Lots of emotion and back and forth talking.

***Was told freshman wide receiver Jaquiaze Pettaway has been a really nice addition to the offensive side. Source said he is still learning the ins and outs of the playbook and he makes some mistakes with routes on occasion, but source said his talent is undeniable and he is a ball of energy and always going full speed. Was told he was locked up a lot on the first couple of days, but he has flipped a switch of late and is consistently creating separation now. All you can ask for is growth and progress, that’s a good sign.

***Source said Key Lawrence is one of the vocal leaders still in the workouts, both with Schmidty and in the 7v7 portions for the defense. Was told Key appears to be very locked in and intent on holding off pushes from guys coming for his reps (think Reggie Pearson here). There is no denying Key’s athletic ability, it’s about putting it all together on a consistent basis for him and the talk about focus is a good sign, in my opinion.

***Was told Jackson Arnold looks like a different QB compared to what he looked like in the beginning of spring. Source said that last minute drive in the spring game seemed to be a turning point for him and he carries himself a “little bigger now…he stands a little taller, talks a little more.” Source went on to say that Arnold has consistently put some balls in places that nobody else on campus can, particularly with the big WRs and their back shoulders.

***In regard to the comment about Arnold, it sounds like Nic Anderson has been having a good showing in the workouts. Source said Anderson (and Gibson) are having another good summer, they just need to make it through fall healthy and they will show out.

***Was told Gentry Williams has been “an uncaged animal.” Not sure what to do with that, but source said Williams has been a full go in the sessions and he has been asserting himself and acting like a guy who has been in Norman for three years. Was told his skill set and route knowledge are something that sets him apart from most of the other corners.

***Source didn’t bring up transfer Brenen Thompson until I asked specifically about him. When prompted source said “Oh yeah, he’s a special kind of fast…if he catches the ball, the DBs have had to learn the importance of angles.” I asked about the ‘if he catches the ball’ line and if he was having issues in that area and source said that was not what they meant, and said “I meant to say when he catches the ball.”

https://thefootballbrainiacs.com/open-p ... july-2nd-2
In Brent I Trust :D
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

I really am still high on Jackson. Well written information

Balancing Act | The Present and Future at QB
– Charlie S – Posted on: June 28, 2023

Yesterday I dropped a sourced note on Sooners true freshman quarterback Jackson Arnold…

“***Was told Jackson Arnold looks like a different QB compared to what he looked like in the beginning of spring. Source said that last minute drive in the spring game seemed to be a turning point for him and he carries himself a “little bigger now…he stands a little taller, talks a little more.” Source went on to say that Arnold has consistently put some balls in places that nobody else on campus can, particularly with the big WRs and their back shoulders.”

This is not the first time we (TFB) have reported that Arnold is standing out and making an impression on the team and the coaching staff.

Heck, he was clearly QB2 by the time the spring ended so the continuing accolades really shouldn’t be surprising and Brent Venables himself was singing his praises.

That is all fine and dandy and overall it is something that should be very encouraging for the Sooner fan base as the early returns paint a bright picture of the future.

As I have expressed previously, my concern as an observer is when and how does the future arrive exactly.

Let me go back to the sourced note from yesterday to start with. What I wrote was pretty much a watered-down version of what the source told me. Source was much more enthusiastic about Arnold than what I conveyed in the notes, but that was my way of not wanting to take the community to the edge of the cliff without checking the brakes.

Jackson Arnold is the most talented QB on campus. I know it. You know it. The team knows it. The coaches know it. Dillon Gabriel knows it. The equipment managers know it. The cheerleaders know it. Boomer and Sooner know it. He just is. That does not unequivocally make him the best QB for snap one of game one for the Sooners in the 2023 season, but it sure as heck should change the QB equation for OU as they prepare to open up the year. Fall camp is about a month away and I will be paying close attention to what is happening at the QB position.

Dillon Gabriel will be the starting quarterback on September 2nd when OU kicks off against Arkansas State unless he gets hurt in fall camp. I am not debating that and I don’t think anyone truly can with any degree of seriousness.

However, the moment that ball is kicked off in Gaylord Memorial Stadium, the clock on the future immediately begins to start ticking down.

Jackson Arnold is the future.

Jackson Arnold also needs to have a role in the present. An expanding role at that.

The Sooners need to win this year for a multitude of reasons and they also need to prepare for the future which includes a move to the SEC in 2024. They cannot afford to stand pat and be so focused on the present that they hurt themselves in the future. Jackson Arnold needs to play, and play a good amount.

What does that look like? How does that balancing act work? What about egos and getting the team in rhythm?

In my opinion, OU needs to have a plan going into every out-of-conference game where Arnold gets 3-4 drives with the first unit and runs full-speed offense at the very least. Jeff Lebby needs to run the offense throughout the early part of the season on full tilt which includes using the designed aspect of the QB run game. Last year, Lebby stayed away from the QB run game early because he knew he had nothing to bring in should Gabriel get dinged up. OU cannot afford to do that this year. They need to come out firing, not worrying about hiding things or saving plays for later. I would rather see them put so much on tape that it gives future opponents things to worry about rather than hiding things or saving them for later. This means running Dillon Gabriel, which will actually help Gabriel be more effective in the offense as well as getting Jackson Arnold comfortable in the offense.

This is a different era in college football. Last year Dabo Swinney cost himself and his team a locked in spot in the college football playoffs by refusing to make the difficult decision of pulling the incumbent starter at QB DJ Uiagalelei. He literally cost them a playoff paycheck. Again…I knew it, you knew it, the Clemson staff and team knew it…everyone knew that freshman Cade Klubnik needed to be the starting QB and if he was, Clemson is in the playoffs (they would have lost in the first round, but still, rather be in the playoffs than not in). Dabo was worried about egos and rhythm. He was worried about losing a guy to the portal. He was worried about putting his fate in a freshman. He worried too much and cost his program. OU cannot afford to follow the same path this year.

The Sooners need to play Jackson Arnold because of his talent. They need to play Jackson Arnold to get him ready for both the present and the future. He will earn that right by the time fall camp is over, I feel very confident in saying that.

It is easy to envision a scenario where there is booing from the crowd during a home win in Norman Oklahoma once again and chances are it wouldn’t even be Dillon Gabriel’s fault. If OU goes 2 or 3 consecutive series against Arkansas State where they go 3 and out because a receiver dropped a 3rd down conversion or the offensive line had a key penalty that negated a conversion…there will be booing which will be directed at Dillon Gabriel. The fan base knows the potential that Jackson Arnold brings to the table. He needs to get his looks.

There is a very real scenario where Jackson Arnold outperforms Dillon Gabriel in the opportunities that he gets. Deal with that if and when that happens. There is also a very real scenario where Dillon feels more comfortable and the offense clicks in the second year in the system and OU is not forced to make a move to Arnold.

However, OU needs to prepare for the future while living in the present. This means they need to get Jackson Arnold live reps, every game, with the first unit. Egos and rhythm be damned, it is imperative to constantly strive to get the best team you have on the field and get them better every week.

When I tell you I intentionally throttled down the praise for Arnold from the source this week, I mean it. There are people around the program who are very, very high on his potential and his ability…right now.

I am not calling for him to be the starter for game one snap one. I am not suggesting there is even an open QB competition right now. Dillon Gabriel is your starter. But Jackson Arnold needs to get a lot of run early in the season and not just be a spectator who hands off the ball to close out games.

Dillon Gabriel is a good kid. He is a good QB. He is a good leader.

Jackson Arnold is the future. In order to set yourself up for a successful future, you need to get work done in the present. It is a very fine line to walk, but you need to protect your future while living in the present. OU needs to show Arnold, the team, and the fan base what the future can look like in the present in order to make sure that the future remains bright.

Same link as post 1
Bixby_Sooner

Post by Bixby_Sooner »

Hopefully with our schedule this year and the changes on O and D, we will be able to let JA and some of the other up and comers get some serious 4th quarter playing time throughout the season, to build experience and confidence of the newer playmakers.
A commitment is NOT a reservation - Brent Venables 3/21/22
Oklahombre

Post by Oklahombre »

That's a 5-star report from TFB and it was free!

Speaking of other sites I belong to the 247 site that recently lost Drumm and Thune to the Rivals pay site. I've patiently waited to see what the new team(Collin Kennedy, etc) would put out as far as inside reporting. Gave them a honeymoon so to speak but I'm ready to change when my sub runs out. They are just not cutting it, IMO. I will choose between following the Drumm/Thune site or just might follow Charlie at the Brainiacs if this is what I can expect to read a few times a week. I do follow Bixby, Sooner Rick47(remember him) and a couple of other posters that make comments on the 247 site.

Another thing that has happened regarding getting cutting info is Twitter has blocked reading tweets unless you register and that's not going to happen for me.
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

I am waiting them out:

Don’t want to join but having withdrawels lol.
SoonerTony

Post by SoonerTony »

I think JA will be the starter before the season is over.
RussC

Post by RussC »

SoonerTony wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 11:21 am I think JA will be the starter before the season is over.
I hope you are correct and I hope it is because JFA is so dang good
#Mentally In Portal
Bixby_Sooner

Post by Bixby_Sooner »

Oklahombre wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 8:58 am That's a 5-star report from TFB and it was free!

Speaking of other sites I belong to the 247 site that recently lost Drumm and Thune to the Rivals pay site. I've patiently waited to see what the new team(Collin Kennedy, etc) would put out as far as inside reporting. Gave them a honeymoon so to speak but I'm ready to change when my sub runs out. They are just not cutting it, IMO. I will choose between following the Drumm/Thune site or just might follow Charlie at the Brainiacs if this is what I can expect to read a few times a week. I do follow Bixby, Sooner Rick47(remember him) and a couple of other posters that make comments on the 247 site.

Another thing that has happened regarding getting cutting info is Twitter has blocked reading tweets unless you register and that's not going to happen for me.
I have been thinking about leaving 247 as well. I do like their reference material for the Portal though. Their reporting style is different. I have until November to decide, so there's that. I like their board, but depending on subject matter, it can get kind of crazy (as they all can). I have thought about On3 (formerly Rivals group). I don't care much for their board though. The posters seem pretty cliquish, the reporting is alright, and they do have some extra things like Portal and recruiting details.

While on this, does anyone have an opinion on the quality and content of what is available (stats, portal information, previous classes, rankings, etc.) on behind the paywall at TFB? I was under the impression that TFB was started as an alternate for the :horns: I don't know if it is the same guys reporting for OU or not, but I do like their Open Post reports. Also, does TFB offer a "trial period" before subscribing?
A commitment is NOT a reservation - Brent Venables 3/21/22
soonerTroll2

Post by soonerTroll2 »

If JA is ready and the best option for the team to win I don't see BV or JL hesitating to bring in Arnold. They know better than anyone the need to win now.

I don't see the crowd booing Gabrial. I could easily see a chant of "JACK-SON, JACK-SON" getting started, but I don't think Dillion Gabrial has done anything to alienate the student body like a certain ex-Sooner QB did.
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

soonerTroll2 wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 1:12 am If JA is ready and the best option for the team to win I don't see BV or JL hesitating to bring in Arnold. They know better than anyone the need to win now.

I don't see the crowd booing Gabrial. I could easily see a chant of "JACK-SON, JACK-SON" getting started, but I don't think Dillion Gabrial has done anything to alienate the student body like a certain ex-Sooner QB did.
I think the booing comment by the author was a bit premature as well. Everything else in the opinion piece piece I agreed with 100%. These are 2 different situations. Fans were at a point where the program had done a bit worse every year after prior staff took over. There were rumors of qb attitude as well maybe some were true. Lots of factors in play. DG has been a role model and and I can’t see them booing, at least I hope not.
OU Chinaman

Post by OU Chinaman »

OU Guy wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 8:28 am
soonerTroll2 wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 1:12 am If JA is ready and the best option for the team to win I don't see BV or JL hesitating to bring in Arnold. They know better than anyone the need to win now.

I think the booing comment by the author was a bit premature as well. Everything else in the opinion piece piece I agreed with 100%. These are 2 different situations. Fans were at a point where the program had done a bit worse every year after prior staff took over. There were rumors of qb attitude as well maybe some were true. Lots of factors in play. DG has been a role model and and I can’t see them booing, at least I hope not.

..."DG has been a role model and I can't see them booing,"

Wish I shared your optimism, but I know the chinamen!
There's a decades long history of booing in SOONER fandom, who have a proclivity to kill & eat their own wounded. Players and Coaches.

The 2nd team qb is usually the "favorite" player for Sooner fans.

DG had a damn good season last year and is Phil Steele's predicted #1 qb in the Big 12.
I think he'll be improved and more effective in 2023, but that's just my opinion.

No denying JA's talent or the inevitability of him being the future and leading the SOONER program into the SEC. it's a given barring injury. (But soon, Hawkins and Sperry will wait in the wings)
Fully expect Arnold to get significant playing time in the non-conf. games and his performance could incite certain segments to boo Gabriel at the first sign of any misfortune or ineptness. (i.e. Missing an open receiver, throwing a pick, an inopportune fumble. etc)

I'd like to believe there won't be any booing of DG or Venables staff, but after one poor season,(which I believe is directly attributable to Mulesh*t's tenure) SOONER fans are restless. It's a combustible situation as I see it.
Remember the rhetorical eternal question,

How much rice can a chinaman eat? :cool:

:ou: :ou: :ou: :rice:
OUGENO

Post by OUGENO »

I agree there will be fans that you just can't please! Are they true fans I think not! :ou: