Picked Up Phil Steele's '23 College Football Preview...

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
OU Chinaman

Picked Up Phil Steele's '23 College Football Preview...

Post by OU Chinaman »

...magazine today. $19.99 Worth every penny, IMO.
Haven't had a chance to fully peruse it yet but did see OKLAHOMA as #2 on 2023's

MOST IMPROVED LIST:
1. Texas A&M
2. OKLAHOMA
3. Appalachian St.
4. Miami
5. UTEP
6. Fla Atlantic
7. Louisiana
8. Miami, OH
9. Northwestern
10. Auburn
11. Boston College
12. Baylor
13. Army
14. Navy
15. Nebraska
16. Georgia Southern

:ou: :ou: :ou: :rice:
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

aTm lol, will have to see it to believe it

I think OU had an outstanding portal year with some contributors. That plus there are some 23 class players who will step in and contribute bigly.

And having a viable backup qb means we can use all the playbook. We were worried about qb injury last year so didn’t use designed qb run whereas this year we can. It will make a difference. And I’m high on Sawchuk running. Plius Bowen not only on defense but will be a huge special teams contributor. We have upgraded so many positions.
In Brent I Trust :D
WishBone

Post by WishBone »

Dont know that its been proven we have a viable backup yet;thoughs things do look promising.Lets hope a QB injury doesnt happen early(at all)or we have a problem.No way these frosh are gameready or they would be playing. But yes I as well expect to see 2023 starting to make some noise.
Opinions are still "OK" ...Correct?
SoonerTony

Post by SoonerTony »

OU Guy wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:29 pm aTm lol, will have to see it to believe it

I think OU had an outstanding portal year with some contributors. That plus there are some 23 class players who will step in and contribute bigly.

And having a viable backup qb means we can use all the playbook. We were worried about qb injury last year so didn’t use designed qb run whereas this year we can. It will make a difference. And I’m high on Sawchuk running. Plius Bowen not only on defense but will be a huge special teams contributor. We have upgraded so many positions.
Everything you said is true, OU Guy. Plus, OU has a favorable schedule. Which in my mind means…

No more excuses. No more mulligans. It’s time to put up or shut up. Win some freaking football games!
Triple Option

Post by Triple Option »

OU Guy wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:29 pmAnd having a viable backup qb means we can use all the playbook. We were worried about qb injury last year so didn’t use designed qb run whereas this year we can.
Guy, I've seen people make this point before, and I'm still kind of puzzled about it. I certainly hope it's correct, but last year we thought Nick Evers was going to be the next big thing and he wasn't. I know we have even bigger hopes for Jackson Arnold, and he's more highly rated, but I guess I'm confused about why people are so certain this year's unproven freshman QB is going to be so much better than than last year's unproven freshman QB. I'm not arguing against your point, I'm just wondering why you are so confident this year's QB room is so much better than last year's.
All that is gold does not glitter.
Not all those who wander are lost.
The old that is strong does not wither.
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
- Bilbo Baggins
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

Triple Option wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 5:25 pm
OU Guy wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:29 pmAnd having a viable backup qb means we can use all the playbook. We were worried about qb injury last year so didn’t use designed qb run whereas this year we can.
Guy, I've seen people make this point before, and I'm still kind of puzzled about it. I certainly hope it's correct, but last year we thought Nick Evers was going to be the next big thing and he wasn't. I know we have even bigger hopes for Jackson Arnold, and he's more highly rated, but I guess I'm confused about why people are so certain this year's unproven freshman QB is going to be so much better than than last year's unproven freshman QB. I'm not arguing against your point, I'm just wondering why you are so confident this year's QB room is so much better than last year's.
Its the coaches. Last year they knew DG was it, based on what they saw in practices. That then changed what to call in games and he still got hurt.

This year I expect DG to be the starter and do better. But I am basing the backup (JA) on my own thoughts and of course he still has to prove himself in college. Nothing against Evers, great kid with great parents. He just isn’t in the same league as Arnold. JA went up against the best Texas HS has to offer and excelled. Gatorade player of year. And so many other things. He also had that TD in spring game called back. But in my estimation he is way more ready than Evers was at this stage. Now its possible he never plays until scrub time but I think he will be ready and allow Lebby to use DG in running plays. I am pretty confident in JA able to come in and play if needed. He was ranked a 5* by all rankers not just one or two. And based on what I saw of his play plus beat writers who watched him play. A combination of many factors that Evers never had.

Now, I think Evers can be a good qb and will grow into it at Wisconsin. He was not as game ready as JA in my opinion. Lets jjst hope DG stays healthy and we are winning and we won’t need to find out under duress. But if called upon I think he can do fine.
In Brent I Trust :D
RussC

Post by RussC »

I wonder if the coaches will be in a more risk-taking mode this year in order to pull out more close wins. Last year with 7 losses is probably hanging over their heads (or should be).
#Mentally In Portal
minnysooner

Post by minnysooner »

Got my digital copy the other night and like Chinaman aTm is a REAL puzzling candidate for turnaround for me.

As for the Sooners: I like the schedule, I like the off-season momentum and I like that this is a team that’s willing to fight and claw for wins. BV & staff know this is a big year for them and I feel they answer the bell.
Oklahombre

Post by Oklahombre »

Lindy's predictions....KU underrated, OSU overrated.

https://www.lindyssports.com/college-fo ... 12/551692/