Transfer Portal Rumor - Vawter just entered the Portal

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
OUBeliever56A

Transfer Portal Rumor - Vawter just entered the Portal

Post by OUBeliever56A »

I have seen it in two seperate locations that Alana Vawter (Stanford veteran pitcher) has entered the portal. Vawter has one year left.

Vawter would be a good contrast to May and different than Deal as well. I could support this. She can handle any amount of work we need to send her way.
SoonerGirl1201

Post by SoonerGirl1201 »

Agreed - think this would be a great fit! She is also originally from Kansas City, MO, can't hurt that she would be getting closer to home!

https://gostanford.com/sports/softball/ ... wter/19247

Let's see if Patty can get her! :ou:
The Far Journey

Post by The Far Journey »

Can't be a lot of pitchers of Vawter's quality in the portal. Exactly what OU needs. Three pitchers, no matter the quality, are too thin a line between excellence and truly big problems. Hope she's visiting Norman soon.
Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

As good as she would be, why would she leave Stanford her senior year, especially with this in her bio?: ...Aspires to be an engineer

Unless she has already graduated of course.
You shall not pass
SoonerGirl1201

Post by SoonerGirl1201 »

She has entered the portal - that is pretty much confirmed. She is a grad transfer (meaning she has her undergraduate degree).

https://gostanford.com/sports/softball/ ... wter/19247
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Gandalf wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 3:40 pm As good as she would be, why would she leave Stanford her senior year, especially with this in her bio?: ...Aspires to be an engineer

Unless she has already graduated of course.
Entering as a grad transfer, I assume she has already graduated now. She has a covid year remaining, like Hansen and Boone.
Here's what I'm thinking; She has a degree in Management Science & Engineering so either Stanford doesn't offer the Grad Program that she is looking for, or, the Athletic Scholarship money that runs for 4 years has run out and she has to move on. It has been said many times that there are numerous academic scholorships available that can make up the difference of what an athletic scholarship doesn't cover (but does that include graduate studies also?), so that leads me to believe that she is looking for a different direction than what Stanford has to offer her.
It seemed to have worked out ok for Storako, so maybe???
Patience....I guess......
aka Crimson47
RJHouston

Post by RJHouston »

Paytn Monticelli
JSULL60

Post by JSULL60 »

:ou: Sign her up
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

just my humble opinion, but in reading the tea leaves of the insiders that I trust that follow this stuff (on another site), they were as surprised as I was about Vawter, which tells me that she was not who they were following backchannel leads on. One of them posed that her first thought for Vawter was either UGA or UCLA, although she guessed that OU wouldn't be totally out of the question....depending, (I guess) of what kind of degree she is looking for. Just my 2 cents...
aka Crimson47
JSULL60

Post by JSULL60 »

:ou: AL Eschbach of the Sports Animal mentioned an LSU pitcher entering the portal. Does anyone have anty info. Would OU be interested
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Probably the same one that Hale was referring to earlier last week but I don't think she's in the portal---yet anyway---so I'm not going to say anything at this point.
aka Crimson47
Sooneryankee13

Post by Sooneryankee13 »

TropicalSooner wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:23 pm Probably the same one that Hale was referring to earlier last week but I don't think she's in the portal---yet anyway---so I'm not going to say anything at this point.
Why are these media guys bringing up players not in the portal? It's irresponsible ou can't contact anyone until they are in the portal. It makes it look like ou is tampering. Al and hale should know better.
JSULL60

Post by JSULL60 »

:ou: AL is pretty up on what he can and cant say about players. When he interviews Patty, he offten say I know you cant say names before he poses a question. He knows what he can and cant say about prospective players. When he talked about Vauter and the LSU pitcher he just talked about how good Vauter was and about them entering the portal. I dont believe he commented on OUs interest in the players
The whole softball world knows Jordy left and are interested in bringing in pitchers.
He doesnt have to say it :ou:
As far as James Hale goes. I havnt heard his comments so I cant offer an opinion on what he said
Sooneryankee13

Post by Sooneryankee13 »

JSULL60 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:42 pm :ou: AL is pretty up on what he can and cant say about players. When he interviews Patty, he offten say I know you cant say names before he poses a question. He knows what he can and cant say about prospective players. When he talked about Vauter and the LSU pitcher he just talked about how good Vauter was and about them entering the portal. I dont believe he commented on OUs interest in the players
The whole softball world knows Jordy left and are interested in bringing in pitchers.
He doesnt have to say it :ou:
As far as James Hale goes. I havnt heard his comments so I cant offer an opinion on what he said
If he wasn't dropping names then I guess he's fine but the lsu player isn't in the portal and probably isn't getting in the portal. I just don't like rumors about players that aren't In the portal kind of like the Brady rumor that was never going to happen.
RahOKU

Post by RahOKU »

FWIW: Last paragraph in SF Chronicle article 6/19 on Vawter:

Vawter will have options. Three-time defending national champion Oklahoma lost pitcher Jordy Bahl, who transferred to her home-state team Nebraska, and has an opening. Vawter is a native of Kansas City, Mo., and graduated from Stanford this spring as an engineering major.

:ou: