2024 Pitching rotation

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
SoonerGirl1201

2024 Pitching rotation

Post by SoonerGirl1201 »

I'm super excited about Kierston Deal. I really wish she could have gotten more time in the WCWS as I think what she did in the OSU and Clemson games suggest she is really good under pressure. I also think her and May will be a really solid 1-2 punch.

I think we all agree that Patty is going to get a 3rd grad student 1-year pitcher. Call me crazy, but I have had a weird hunch that we may be going after Kelly Maxwell. It is probably just silliness - but watching her pitch in her slump a few times she just didn't seem to be having any fun at all. Add that to the OSU pitching coach retiring and Kelly already having an undergraduate and graduate degree from OSU. I wonder if this is the "surprise/shock to the softball world" that Plank was talking about.

Probably not - just throwing out crazy theories today ....but I am super excited about Kierston Deal and can't wait to start seeing her pitch on a regular basis.
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

SoonerGirl1201 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:37 am I'm super excited about Kierston Deal. I really wish she could have gotten more time in the WCWS as I think what she did in the OSU and Clemson games suggest she is really good under pressure. I also think her and May will be a really solid 1-2 punch.

I think we all agree that Patty is going to get a 3rd grad student 1-year pitcher. Call me crazy, but I have had a weird hunch that we may be going after Kelly Maxwell. It is probably just silliness - but watching her pitch in her slump a few times she just didn't seem to be having any fun at all. Add that to the OSU pitching coach retiring and Kelly already having an undergraduate and graduate degree from OSU. I wonder if this is the "surprise/shock to the softball world" that Plank was talking about.

Probably not - just throwing out crazy theories today ....but I am super excited about Kierston Deal and can't wait to start seeing her pitch on a regular basis.
I think the shock was Bahl transferring. I know I am still shaking my head, even though I understand her desire to go home.
1KCSoonerFan

Post by 1KCSoonerFan »

I agree with you that May and Deal are very good right now...and will be better in '24. SJG is still a bit of a mystery, but she was good enough to redshirt and develop. That's encouraging, too.

OU MUST have one more good to great arm on the staff, IMO. I know Patty will want the very best she can find....but even just a "good" arm that can eat up a few innings is #1 to me.

As I learn more about the timeline of JB's transfer, it seems clearer it was not an out of the blue event. People had inklings. People were reading the tea leaves. And maybe the whole team was talking with JB throughout the season. I'd bet Patty knew well before the announcement what was coming. Knowing the planner and preparer she is, it would not surprise me she didn't already have a list of portal prospects before the last bits of confetti fell to the infield dirt.

Just my theory about how it all went down. Hoping Coach has been on this for awhile is encouraging of a good result.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

1KCSoonerFan wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:18 pm I agree with you that May and Deal are very good right now...and will be better in '24. SJG is still a bit of a mystery, but she was good enough to redshirt and develop. That's encouraging, too.

OU MUST have one more good to great arm on the staff, IMO. I know Patty will want the very best she can find....but even just a "good" arm that can eat up a few innings is #1 to me.

As I learn more about the timeline of JB's transfer, it seems clearer it was not an out of the blue event. People had inklings. People were reading the tea leaves. And maybe the whole team was talking with JB throughout the season. I'd bet Patty knew well before the announcement what was coming. Knowing the planner and preparer she is, it would not surprise me she didn't already have a list of portal prospects before the last bits of confetti fell to the infield dirt.

Just my theory about how it all went down. Hoping Coach has been on this for awhile is encouraging of a good result.
From what I've been reading on various message boards (if it's on the internet then it must be true--right?), then it seems like this was not a surprise to anyone on the team including the coaching staff. In fact, I'm willing to bet that when Patty broke down after the game, not only was that from the relief of the overwhelming stress of the season being over, but also-perhaps moreso- the knowledge that this was Jordy's last game as a Sooner. I have no knowledge of this, it is just a feeling that I have.

To the OP....I am also very excited to see KD on the big stage now. And from what I've read that's been posted by Lasooner11 and OUB56 and others, it would appear that Geurin is progressing very nicely behind the scenes and will be a force to be reckoned with next spring. From what I understand, she is not a fireball pitcher, but very much a control pitcher, hitting the corners, and wonderful ball movement. In fact, it seems like I've read in the past her strength is not in velocity (I want to say she throws mostly in the high 50s & low 60s) but in ball movement and that's where she gets alot of her strikeouts. For those who know differently, feel free to correct me on this.
But one thing I think is being vastly overlooked is the strength we have in Nicole May. She has gotten better and better and better every year she has been here and next year she will be the Senior of the pitching staff and I believe she will shoulder that responsibility admirably.

Yes, I do agree we need another pitcher. Or two. But I'm not sure we just have to have another Storako to make next season work. Would I love to have Ruby Meylan enter the transfe portal and come down here? Yes I would. But from what I've seen online, that ain't happening. I would look at someone like a Valerie Cagle just to have another arm and someone to add some batting firepower since we are losing Lee and Lyons. But I don't think it's likely for Cagle to enter the portal either....they should build a statue for her at Clemson. She is the face of that program. But just to have another servicable arm (or two) to eat up some innings successfully to spell our rotation...yeah that would be nice. Karlie Keeney might be that kind of arm that would work. But that person would have to be willing to accept a "complementary" role on the staff, and I'm not sure that's what Keeney is looking for. So maybe a one-year rental from another senior that wants to ease up and wind up her career in a less stressful mode, like Trautwein and Storako did, might be the best option---at least to get us to 2025 when Audrey Lowry comes on board. But the trouble with that is that after the one-year rental graduates, then we find ourselves in the same pickle again, down to 3 pitchers, and this time, the 3rd pitcher is a freshman.

Boomer!!
aka Crimson47
waddy's ghost

Post by waddy's ghost »

I agree that PG is looking to pick up a pitcher , however I think it would be multi year arm if possible so Deal would not be our only veteran arm heading in to SEC .I say this because of the largely unrealized potential of Deal and the unknown quality that is Guerin .
1KCSoonerFan

Post by 1KCSoonerFan »

I will never throw shade on Jordy nor wish she decided to stay and tough it out IF it was killing her inside. Hell no! I fully support her prioritizing her health and happiness. IN many ways Jordy is taking the Championship Mindset at its word that there is more to life than softball, accolades, and outcomes....so work hard and play free. (Besides, it is also not good for the program to have someone on the team who doesn't want to be there. Better to end it on honest and respectful terms.)

Nevertheless, her departure throws multiple knots in the rope for the next two years. (Possible - not for sure.)
* One knot is from the loss of her dominant talents and big time production. (one point of production from a pitcher is worth two from batters, IMO)
* A second knot is that we have to replace two pitchers-worth of proven production instead of one.
* The third knot is that we seem caught on our left foot in the PLAN to smoothly transition into the SEC in '25.
* The knot in my stomach comprises the fourth and final knot.

Until a few days ago, OU was looking at Three Aces and Zero knots for '24 and a year to develop young talent by '25.

Now, there are Two Aces and Three Knots for '24...and '25 seems a tad off-balance currently. I own knot #4.

A single, unexpected change threw things off balance in an outsized way. Why? Now I see it clearer: The pitching staff was at a vulnerable moment when two out of our three aces left the program, and only ONE departure was planned. Strip any program in the nation of 2 of 3 aces and they would be off-balance, too.

Now, to be clear, I'm not in doom and gloom mode because pitching is only one of three pillars. Our bats could come alive in '24 and annihilate all challengers. Our defense could minimize the damage of a higher ERA. Offense and Defense can shorten a game (run-rule) so the other team has less time to score themselves....which leaves our Pitching less vulnerable.

There is plenty of evidence that the O and D will be in very good shape in '24 and into '25. It is just that the Pitching is leaving a little knot in my guts. We all got thrown a loop!
JSULL60

Post by JSULL60 »

:ou: I think our offense will very good to great next year. I think Sanders will be very good the whole year and approach 20 home runs. If Erickson can be consistent she ia a real force. She was leading the team in batting average for awhile. I saw You Tube of Ella Parker pitching lasst year in a training facility. She has muscles like Alo and was the most feared hitter in highschool. I have the feeling that you may see her some in the circle next year in a relief role. Patty will get another pitcher.. I would lke to see one that is talented enough to pitch in the CWS, but has 2 or 3 years left.
At this point, though we can use a good arm period, regardless of the amount of eligibility she has left
BudaSooner

Post by BudaSooner »

Yeah, I have read great things about Ella Parker. She purportedly is a STUD! Both in the circle and with a bat in her hands...
Poster previously known as BlackwellSooner
waddy's ghost

Post by waddy's ghost »

I do not swear this to be the absolute truth but I seem to recall that Parker quit pitching or scaled it back .I can not recall where I read this but the author seemed certain of this claim .
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

waddy's ghost wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:37 pm I do not swear this to be the absolute truth but I seem to recall that Parker quit pitching or scaled it back .I can not recall where I read this but the author seemed certain of this claim .
You are correct. she was a top pitcher until about age 15-16 and then she scaled it back.

"T-4—Ella Parker, LHP/OF, OC Batbusters 18U – Stith/Maroon - THIS IS FROM MAY of 2021
Ella still has overpowering power as a pitcher but where she has improved over the last year has her outfield skill set. In the past she has always been the #1 pitcher and top-level offensive player so she has never had the need to really hone in on her other positions on the field. Since she was brought up to the main Mike Stith team from the Maroon (younger squad) she has been a staple in the outfield where she has become an above-average defender. Offensively, Ella is still one of the biggest threats on the field and can beat you with her power to all fields or beat out a ground ball with her speed. She’s a special player with 5-tool talent who will find a place early on the field because she’s too good in all areas to keep on the bench for long. Some other interesting facts about Ella: she runs track and has participated with the LA Jets Track Club, she was offered by top softball programs like UCLA, Oklahoma and Florida before the April 2018 recruiting rules changed, she has home runs measured at 300 feet and her uncle is Dave Roberts, the manager of the Los Angeles Dodgers."

I wonder if Parker would be receptive to going back in the circle for OU?
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Of course it would be nice if she did consider going back--at least part time in the circle. But I worry that her being off from pitching for so long now, that it may take a lot of re-training to get her form back? I don't know....have never done that. Perhaps it's no big thing, but it seems like it would be a concern.
I'm going to love having her bat though! And I bet Jocy does pick up her game! Can't wait for Ella to get on campus and get those two together again.
aka Crimson47
Sooner Cal

Post by Sooner Cal »

Jordy’s departure opens the door for KD. SJ gets her opportunity to get on the field as a RS freshman. Finally, Nicole gets to be the leader of the staff. I’m excited and I’m not big on adding another pitcher unless a truly outstanding one enters the portal. Last year’s portal successes are unlikely to be repeated this season. Perhaps an infielder or two or another DH. We’ll see, but I’m excited by the arrival of the 4 freshmen.
waddy's ghost

Post by waddy's ghost »

I think it is highly likely that PG brings in a transfer pitcher ,all you have to do is look at past history;;Storako , Trautwein , G Juarez ,Shannon Saile ,Alex Storako and others who I don't recall by name .IF there is a pitcher or player out there who can add to this team PG will do it. I think because we are unproven at pitcher that is the most likely add to this team .
JSULL60

Post by JSULL60 »

:ou:
waddy's ghost wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 3:45 pm I think it is highly likely that PG brings in a transfer pitcher ,all you have to do is look at past history;;Storako , Trautwein , G Juarez ,Shannon Saile ,Alex Storako and others who I don't recall by name .IF there is a pitcher or player out there who can add to this team PG will do it. I think because we are unproven at pitcher that is the most likely add to this team .
I agree. But are there any pitchers currently in the portal that would worth taking
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Currently, Kelly Lynch (Washington) is a grad student that is in the portal. she could be a solid 3rd along side Geurin if we want a one year 'arm'. I would prefer a multi-year 'arm' but OU does need 1 or maybe 2 more right now.