Questions, Departures, arrivals

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
TN Sooner

Questions, Departures, arrivals

Post by TN Sooner »

So who’s leaving?

Next couple of weeks will tell the tale. I’m sure someone will leave, but someone will come too. Plank said last night there are portal rumors that “will make everyone jealous”.

The one I worry about the most? JT Gasso. Sometime soon, someone is coming for him. I’m sure we’re taking care of him financially, but when does he want to be The HeadCoach?

Who will Patty hire to be the 4th paid coach?

Interesting off-season begins.
SoonerSeth

Post by SoonerSeth »

Good questions! I am curious how long Patty wants to coach and if JT is willing to wait as the "coach in waiting". She is obviously at the top of her game and showing no signs of slowing down but I could see a situation where she wants to go out on top (NOT saying this summer haha), hand things off to JT, and potentially staying very involved with the program in a lesser role while having some more time with the grandkids. It will be really interesting to see if it takes some down years for her to step away or if she will want to go out on a high note eventually.

As for departures, arrivals, potential starting lineups - no clue, but excited to see it all play out!
MNSooner

Post by MNSooner »

TJ has network of family in OK. 3 young kids. It would be harder for family reason for him to move. I’m thinking he will stay. If TJ leaves, I’m seeing that Patty would hire DJ so that he can come back.

Also, this new dynasty started when TJ first got hired in 2016, the first of 5 championships. He has played a big role in this.
Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

MNSooner wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:35 am TJ has network of family in OK. 3 young kids. It would be harder for family reason for him to move. I’m thinking he will stay.
Remember we said that about Brent V in the 2000s.
You shall not pass
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

TN Sooner wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:13 am So who’s leaving?

Next couple of weeks will tell the tale. I’m sure someone will leave, but someone will come too. Plank said last night there are portal rumors that “will make everyone jealous”.

The one I worry about the most? JT Gasso. Sometime soon, someone is coming for him. I’m sure we’re taking care of him financially, but when does he want to be The HeadCoach?

Who will Patty hire to be the 4th paid coach?

Interesting off-season begins.
I did not catch this last night. Is Plank implying that the Sooners are going to have some players portal out that will make everyone jealous?
aka Crimson47
MNSooner

Post by MNSooner »

From the way it sound, more like someone will portaled to OU that will make everyone jealous more. Maybe a SS.
White River

Post by White River »

He prefaced that statement with noting two years ago at this time there were rumors that Trautwein might be coming to OU. Then said last year after the WCWS it broke that Storako was in the portal and that Oklahoma would be her first visit. Then he made the statement mentioned, that there are currently rumors about the portal that would make the softball world jealous. (Paraphrasing from my poor memory)

The implication was that the Sooners might be getting an incoming big name portal player(s). I wouldn't be surprised to see some current players who see no pathway to significant playing time transfer out of the program. It's understandable that these ladies invest so much of their lives in the sport, and they want to see the field as much as possible. It's also understandable that top tier players would want to be a part of what going on here. The next 3 weeks should be interesting.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Ok...I see what you are getting at.
And, yeah...a portal in to the team can cause some concern for some of the non-starters.
I have very real concerns about a couple of our reserves now as it is. I am just hoping our freshmen try to stick it out and make a go of it next year.
aka Crimson47
Bixby_Sooner

Post by Bixby_Sooner »

My $0.02 worth on this topic is:

I dont' think PG leaves before 1) we begin play in the SEC and 2) We play our first SEC Tournament on the new Love's field.

I don't think JT will leave as long as PG is there. I don't think he's interested in being a HC, that may change after she steps away. Related to that, I look for more former players to become Grad Assistant coaches under PG before all is said and done - possibly additions to the staff.

I would not be suprised to see at least 2 current players portal out and 2 new players portal in. After reading how PG reached out to Alex Storako within 10 min. of her name officially hitting the portal wire last year, I will be watching the portal reports closely to see any big names that appear and what positions they play.

Lastly, congrats on the Three peat! They deserve it and all that goes with it. PG didn't do them any favors with their schedule, but not once did they shy away, they came to play every day. In my mind, this is, if not the best team ever, it certainly has to be one of the top 3 of all time. I will never research it, but I am curious to find out how many personal, team, school and national records were set by this team, this year.
A commitment is NOT a reservation - Brent Venables 3/21/22
JSULL60

Post by JSULL60 »

:ou: A stud shortstop can play just about any positian asPatty has said, several of the current players came here as short stops. I think AVERY Hodge may be the stater st SS.
But as far as Portal players are cocerned, I do look for a stud shortstop to look OUs way as well as a stud pitchers. With all the tranfer pitchers that have had great sucess here going back to Paige Lowary Gissell Gisselle Juarez, Hope Truatwein, and now Alex Storako, (I am sure I am leaving somebody out) you can bet on a stud pitcher will enter the portal is saying my turn.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

So....I guess we should start watching Patty's twitter account for the "Boomer Bombs" ??????
aka Crimson47
waddy's ghost

Post by waddy's ghost »

I don't know anything for certain BUT I do have certain beliefs about OUr softball future

First I think barring health concerns PG will coach long enough to pass Coach Hutchins in career wins (1707) . Patty needs 252 wins to do so and would in fact accomplish this in 5 seasons averaging 50.4 wins per year .This happens by coincidence be the exact rate of wins for PG over her 29 years . It should be noted that her win rate in the last 10 full seasons is higher ,565-62 for a winning % of .901 and 56.5 wins per year .The last 5 full season produce even more mindboggling numbers290 wins versus only 19 losses a winning % of .939.

Coach has said many times (including last night) that she loves what she is doing .Her sons are of actively involved in coaching and her husband is also coaching so it is a family thing.

As for what if any changes will be made PG has had 3 different pitching coaches and I think also 3 different hitting coaches so I remain unconcerned about her staff. I will say I do NOT envy the headcoach who succeeds Coach ,it would be like following John Wooden .

Concerning possible portal addions ,I think PG's portal record speaks for itself . If there are players or pitchers out there that can make us better we will go after them .