Sooners and Longhorns: Softball Red River Rivalry - Huge Weekend

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
OUBeliever56A

Sooners and Longhorns: Softball Red River Rivalry - Huge Weekend

Post by OUBeliever56A »

The Oklahoma Sooners Softball Team is 30-1 on the season. Coming into the Texas-OU weekend, the Sooners have been tested.

The first test was the Mark Campbell Tourney. The schedule included three Top 20 teams and Liberty. The Sooners were 5-0 and outscored their opponents 29-5. Now the schedule looks tougher with 2 top 10 teams (Stanford #6 and Washington #9) and Duke in the top 15.

The second test was the Mary Nutter Classic. The schedule included three top teams and UCLA. The Sooners won all five games by the total score of 50-4. Today, UCLA is ranked #4 with A&M and Utah ranked in the Top 20.

A bit of a third test occurred in Weekend #4 with two games against Kentucky at the OU Tourney. The Sooners outscored Kentucky (now ranked #14) 25-1 in their two games at Marita Hynes.

The fourth test was the 6th week, with Florida State and then the Hall of Fame Tourney. The Sooners hosted the Florida State Seminoles on a Tuesday night game and won 5-4 and then won over Northwestern 2-1 before routing Auburn 21-1 in two games.

In what was supposed to not be a test but a spot-check in Waco, the Sooners lost to Baylor 3-4 in the second weekend of play. Orme and Binford (out for the season now) pitched well against OU and Govan had the hit of her career with a 3 run HR for Baylor. That is the lone hiccup for the Sooners in 2023.

Texas comes into the game with a 30-5-1 record.

Their best wins are over:
- Alabama and Fouts 5-3.
- Louisiana twice by the scores of 6-2 and 8-3.
- North Texas in a close game 4-2.
- Va Tech easy by a score of 8-2 against a second line pitcher.

Their losses are to:
- Northwestern 9-10
- Va Tech 5-6
- Bama and Fouts 3-4
- Texas State with Mullins 4-5
- South Florida 3-4
- This was actually a tie....but the loss to Kentucky 4-4 in reality in THE drop dead game of the year with Mike White starring in the villain role.

The comparison of stats favor the Sooners.
Oklahoma - Offense - .391 BA, .478 OB%, .717 Slug% - 71 Doubles, 7 Triples, 57 Home Runs, 9.0 R/G, 29 SB / 3 CS - LOB = 36.5%
Longhorn - Offense - .351 BA, .411 OB%, .534 Slug% - 61 Doubles, 9 Triples, 35 Home Runs, 7.06 R/G, 46 SB / 16 CS - LOB% = 43%

Oklahoma - Pitching and Defense - 1.00 ERA, 13 CG, 19 Shutouts, 2 Saves, 182.0 IP, 92 Hits, 58 W&HB, 250 Ks - 10 Doubles, 0 Triples, 12 HR - 6 Errors w .991 Fielding%
Longhorn - Pitching and Defense - 1.89 ERA, 10 CG, 7 Shutouts, 5 Saves, 245.0 IP, 191 Hits, 80 W&HB, 219 Ks - 33 Doubles, 2 Triples, 19 HR - 38 Errors w .965 Fielding%
Texas has given up 33 unearned runs this season. 33 of their 89 runs allowed has been unearned. That is 37% of their runs. That is a big problem if it continues.

But as I said about statistics somewhere this week. Stats do not play the game. While they indicate team's performance over the games played, they do not help a bit once the first pitch is thrown, or any batter in the box or any pitcher in the circle. Every at bat is a new season each game.

My impressions of Texas are as follows;
They are young or have new players at key positions. Up the middle they play a freshman at C (Atwood), SS (Martinez), 2B (Goode) and Scott (moving to CF from 3B). They have 18 errors between them. Their veterans include Day at DP/1B, Scott in CF, Washington now at 3B and Dayton in LF. Other players are Cimusz at 1B a sophomore and backup C, Maloney in RF (Red-Fr).

Their pitching staff includes four pitchers that include two transfers and two recruited players. Czech (LH) and Morgan (RH) are the transfers with Simpson (SO) and Gutierrez (FR) being the recruited pitchers.

Of the veteran players, the most dangerous are Mia Scott and Courtney Day. Of the freshman, offensively, Goode and Martinez are the best by far.

I have seen three of the four Texas freshman play several games last summer. Goode and Gutierrez played with Avery Hodge and SJ Geurin on the Texas Bombers. Goode and Hodge played SS and 2B and switched back-n-forth every inning. They also batted 1 and 2 in the lineup. My thoughts were that Hodge was a much better classic fielder than Goode. Goode seemed to end up on the ground on many plays but getting the job done. I wondered if she could do that and play at Texas. She is playing and has only made 1 error. Goode was the better offensive player. She can hit and has base stealing speed. Gutierrez played RF and pitched for the Bombers. She was a decent OF and hitter. But she was a pitcher. She keeps the ball down in the zone for the most start. I did not think her rise ball was an 'out-pitch' for her. While she was effective I did not think she was overpowering in any way. I thought SJ Geurin was a much different pither than Gutierrez in that everything was the same velocity for Gutierrez but Geurin use dmany different speeds on her pitches. I am sure Gutierrez can throw a change, but I do not remember it being something I noticed.

I also saw Atwood catch a couple of games. I thought she was a better offensive player than a catcher. She is tall, but I would describe her as a 'thinner' version of Hansen and not near as strong. I did not think she was a strong catcher, but she is solid behind the plate. I have know knowledge of Maloney at all.

We know the LH Pitcher Czech last year and she was effective at time against the Sooners but when the Sooners figured her out, she was not effective. Simpson did not last long against OU after they saw her as well. (Simpson's late yell during her delivery is a pain BTW). Mac Morgan, from Arizona State, is not a power pitcher and does not pick up a lot of Ks.

The biggest problem for Texas is still the defense. They have tried several combinations in the infield but have settled with Cimusz @1B, Goode @2B, Martinez @SS and Washington @3B. (Washington may be a bit injured which may let Corona play 3B). The new-look outfield for Texas with Dayton in LF, Scott in CF and Maloney in RF should be fast, but can they do things outfielders do to be above average is a question. I also wonder about their arms and accuracy of their throws.

I really think that Friday night, eventually under the lights at Hall of Fame Stadium, that the Longhorns might be a bit shell-shocked without much veteran leadership. Some of the Longhorns were there last year, but even they, did raise the white flag to the Sooners in the end. If the Longhorns defense struggles, it is not a good sign or them. Another thing to watch on Friday night is the wind. It is supposed to blow hard from the West. There will be a jet-stream to RF and a strong wind to hit into towards LF if the ball is hooking towards the line. Any high fly will be a potential troublemaker for the defensive team.

I think the Friday night game is the key. If Texas struggles against OU and gets blown out in front of 8000+ fans, the series could be a long weekend for Texas, just like 2021 was. I think their key is their pitching. I do not think that any one pitcher can keep the Sooner offense down for a full game. I expect 'pitching-guru' White to use 3-ish pitchers per game this weekend. I also think the Sooner hitters will be ready for all of them. I would guess that Gutierrez or Czech will get the first start on Friday with the other being the 3rd pitcher of the game. Morgan probably is the middle pitcher for Texas on Friday. For now, I would say the Saturday, Sunday starts for Texas are not decided at all going in. But, the Texas defense will be a key in the series as well. Texas cannot allow the Sooners many unearned runs this weekend.

For the Sooners, I think that Bahl will get the first start. I think Storako and May will get the two remaining starts but not sure of the order. I think the bulk of the Sooner lineup wil remain as it has been. Coleman will be CF and leadoff. I think it will be Lee (DP) followed by Jennings (2B) but that could be reversed. I think that the 4th thru 6th spots will be Hansen, Lyons and Brito but not sure what order. I think Boone will likely be in RF an bat 9th. I think the Erickson, Sanders rotation at 1B will continue with Torres, Erickson and Nugent in RF and maybe Nugent or Torres in LF. Nugent could catch some as well. Lilio could get some key pinch-hit attempts in the series.

The Oklahoma hitting had been pretty strong since Week 3 until last week in Ames as the offense was a bit off again average with a .316 BA. I look for the Sooners to hit very well this weekend.

That combined by OU's very strong pitching will probably be the ingredients to a big weekend for OU against Texas. Either on of the parts, the offense or the pitching can win for the Sooners but with both parts playing well, the Sooners will handle Texas without a doubt.

Boomer Sooner!
OURed

Post by OURed »

I was thinking Jayda has had a triple this season.
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Not sure why this comment is here, but, yes I think she has. I am away from my info currently though.
White River

Post by White River »

OURed wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:04 pm I was thinking Jayda has had a triple this season.

As 56 stated in this post, the Sooners have 7 triples this season. No player has more than 1. Boone, Brito, Coleman, Lee, Lilio, Lyons and Torres have each hit one triple.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Yes, against Northwestern. March 17th.

edit:
My post was in reply to OURed. I should have quoted him---sorry.
aka Crimson47
TN Sooner

Post by TN Sooner »

Media availability for Gasso, Lyons and Brito available here:

https://www.si.com/college/oklahoma/softball
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

'56....what an awesome write up. You are absolutely the best.
I agree on a lot of how you listed a lot of your projected lineup for tomorrow (and the weekend), but I have just a slightly different take--
For me, I'd rather see Boone in LF. She's one of the fastest players in the outfield (along with Coleman) and with the wind on Friday, I would like to have her speed in LF. But I agree with you her about batting 9th.
Also, for me, I'd put Erickson at 1st on Friday--again to capture her power as a lefty at the plate with the wind blowing out to RF. And who's in RF?---I'm good with either Torres or Nugent( whoever is taller or can reach the highest at the fence--since they are both RH hitters.
Again, props for your writeups---they are just amazing!
Thanks!
aka Crimson47
TN Sooner

Post by TN Sooner »

I think weather will determine the starter on Friday, with winds ~30 mph (gusts to 50) WSW - believe that is out to the right/center side of HoF stadium. Whoever can do the best keeping the ball in the park is gonna be in the circle. My guess is that is Bahl?
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Not sure who has the best drop ball.....Bahl or May?
Our stat sheet does show however, that May has given up only 2 HRs this season, and Bahl and Storako both have given up 4.
I don't care who pitches, just keep low in the box--make 'em hit grounders--or strike 'em out!
I hope the strike zone is at least consistent. I think we can work with that---just not one that's all over the place.
aka Crimson47