Men's BB- Sooners host Kansas in Lloyd Noble Center @ Noon - Sat

Forum to discuss OU Men's Basketball
OUBeliever56A

Men's BB- Sooners host Kansas in Lloyd Noble Center @ Noon - Sat

Post by OUBeliever56A »

The Oklahoma Sooner Men's Basketball Team has another opportunity to surprise on Saturday against a very good top running team in Big 12 play. The game is at 12 Noon in Lloyd Noble Center. It looks like it is going to be pretty cool in Norman on Saturday. Might as well spend the middle part of the day in LNC, hoping to see a win.

Here is the staff writers article about the game.

https://soonersports.com/news/2023/2/10 ... n-saturday

The last game at Baylor, the Sooners started another new lineup with T Groves, Hill, Oweh, Sherfield and Uzan on the floor to start. The three leading subs were Godwin, Bamisile, J Groves and Cortes. The Sooners looked quicker on the court, had a couple more scorers on the court and played Baylor close on the road. I think the new lineup may match up better with Kansas also.

I think the Sooners could surprise and up and down Kansas team as of late.

Good luck to the men.

Boomer Sooner!
Raul

Post by Raul »

It sure seems odd that it has taken this long for the more athletic version of the team to finally start hitting the floor.
I know it’s too easy for someone to start second guessing things at this stage in this tortured season, but that is exactly what I’m choosing to do.
Sooner Cal

Post by Sooner Cal »

Well, no surprise today. I appreciate your optimism, but this team has one identity-loser. I don’t get it. They remind me of the 2nd half of Tre Young’s year. Is the chemistry that bad?
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

I do not have much to say about the Kansas 78 - 55 win over the Sooners in Men's Basketball except for a couple, three things.

1) Kansas scored 50 points inside the paint. When you score 2/3rds of your points from in the paint, you should shoot 55.0% from the field as the Jayhawks did.

2) Oklahoma's offense just seems to stop or slow to a crawl very time the ball lands in Sherfield's hands. He fakes a shot, then he dribbles one, two, three maybe more times and does not get anywhere but to a difficult shot with a hand in his face. The ball moves pretty well when it is in almost anyone else's hands. If I was Coach Moser, besides not reading any boards, I would tell Sherfield, shoot the ball when you catch it if you are open. Stop the ball fakes. If you put the ball on the ground you get one or two dribbles. That is it. No more. Pass the ball.

3) Something needs to change on how the Sooners are playing defense on the high pick. For some reason, there in no 'jump switch' on the ball with the second defense Sooners player on the other side of the pick. There is no help anywhere. The Sooner guarding the ball has to get over the top of the 6'11" hulk setting the screen with absolutly no help. The player with the ball rubs the OU defender into the big pick and if the Sooner defender goes behind, the ball get shot and the shot goes in too often. If the Sooner defender gets hung up on the pick, the player with the ball goes straight to the rim or shots a short jumper that too often goes in. Maybe the Sooners are worried about the pick-n-roll to the bucket by the picker, but something has to change. The Sooner defender on the ball is in no man's land every time with no option. He gives up a score or he fouls the picker.

Here is the staff writers article about the Kansas loss.

https://soonersports.com/news/2023/2/11 ... n-saturday

The young Sooners, Uzan and Oweh are trying to carry a heavy load for the team. They probably should be complimentary players this year. I am not too upset about T Groves and Godwin's play. They are what they are. Most of the other Big 12 schools just have better big men. BTW, really good big men do not grow on trees that are easy to find. With the transfer portal, they are not often out there to by plucked off and fix a problem that will be willing to come to Norman to play right now. It is how it is right now. I am not sure how any coach fixes this unless they can recruit and develop a big or two.

There were a couple of upsets yesterday in the Big 12. Oklahoma State beat Iowa State in Ames and Texas Tech beat Kansas State in Lubbock. Baylor also beat TCU.

Oklahoma hosts No. 12/12 Kansas State on Tuesday, Feb. 14 in their next action. Maybe the concessions can serve heart-shaped red velvet cakes for Valentine's Day to entice fans to come watch the Sooners. Maybe the theme can be, "play with your heart".

Good luck to the men against wth Wildcats.

Boomer Sooner!