KWTV News9 Special on OU Softball

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
TALSOONER

KWTV News9 Special on OU Softball

Post by TALSOONER »

I'm not sure how old this is, 8 - 10 months or it's an assortment of shows, but it's great for getting ready for this year. Lots of clips with Coach Gasso.

KWTV News9 Feature Series - Chasing A Championship

1KCSoonerFan

Post by 1KCSoonerFan »

Thank you for sharing this, Tal!

I loved this series of video journalism! Great story-telling around a theme! I wish and hope for more of this kind of coverage of OU softball!

One of the aspects that touched my heart was the story about the hardships of players (Elam and Alo) and Coach G; the human elements behind all the stats and trophies.

Elam lost her mother SUDDENLY and tragically when she was 15 years old. Geesh! I can't imagine what went through her young mind and soul. Fortunately, she had her brothers and father to support her. I agree with PG that Elam is a marvelous woman with great character and heart!

Patty Gasso also came from a tough situation, raised by a single mom with limited resources. Love saved the day for both her and Elam! Imagine a young PG wanting to coach someday, but didn't think that was POSSIBLE for girls/women in her era. No wonder Title IX is so important to her today and she is out front, leading the way, for women's athletics.

Really enjoyed hearing PG mic'd up, too. Another wonderful peek behind the curtain of the woman and her team. Especially liked the part where she tells a player (paraphrased), "I almost made a mistake there and got you out." Little moments like those show humility and a deep connection with her players. PG constantly pushes, inspires, and puts things in perspective. Just fun to be there through the camera.

As a Sooner Fan in KC, who's parents are from Muskogee and Jay, I don't get to enjoy the quantity and quality of news/media around OU softball that my kin do in Tulsa and Bixby. This was a real treat for me!