Your thoughts on Opening Day Lineup???

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
TropicalSooner

Your thoughts on Opening Day Lineup???

Post by TropicalSooner »

So....with opening day now only 11 days out....perhaps it's time to start thinking about what we think our starting lineup might look like. Or, at least what we would like it to look like.
Subject has already been tossed around on another site.....so lets bring it up here too.
What do you expect the starting lineup will be when we take the field against the Duke Blue Devils on Feb 9th?
or
What would you like it to be when we take the field?
Either answer is fine--or both. And....we'll make the assumption that everyone is 100% healthy and available.

Granted, early season always involves a lot of tinkering so we know things will change game to game. And when things start to run away....things change quickly.
But coming out of the gate--who takes the field?

Here's mine:

What I think it will be:
1. Coleman CF
2. Jennings 2B
3. Sanders 1B
4. Hansen C
5. Lee DP
6. Lyons SS
7. Brito 3B
8. Torres LF
9. Boone RF
10 Bahl P

What I would like it to be:
Same batting lineup order but put Torres at 3B and Brito in LF.

What do you all think?? Let's have some fun!!

Boomer!
aka Crimson47
1KCSoonerFan

Post by 1KCSoonerFan »

Powerfully-Smooth lineup there! Props to Trops! Enjoying the frequent new topics!

I might flip flop Jennings and Sanders in the order to have Jennings protecting Sanders (for a potential two runners to knock in); though there is not a whole lot of room for 'walking around' the top four batters.

I like Lyons ahead of Lee, too, because Lyons had more HR's and a very solid BA last year...and it just feels good to me to have her 'next to' Hansen. ha.

Gasso said in a podcast that Torres was tearing it up with batting, so it will be interesting to see where she falls in the order come game day.

Will Jordy bat and/or play LF this game? Might seem like a lot to put on her first time out; but, hey, it's Jordy, right?!

Ain't it fun to have this caliber of quality talent to move around? It is like playing a chess game and all your pieces are Queens!
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

I will go at this a bit different and provide the first two starting lineups since it is a DH opening day in back-to-back games.

Against Duke:

1 Coleman CF
2 Jennings 2B
3 Sanders 1B
4 Hansen C
5 Lee DP
6 Lyons SS
7 Torres RF
8 Brito 3B
9 Bahl LF
SP Storako

- I prefer to think of 3/4 as Sanders protecting Jennings instead of Jennings protecting Sanders. Sanders is going to have a very big year. Quiet confidence is something special.
- I am worried a bit about Lee's high number of Ks batting 5th. But I think to start the season, Lyons will follow Lee in the order to allow Lyons to fully gain confidence in her shoulder after the brief time off for Lyons.
- I think Bahl could come in and finish the game for OU with Boone moving to RF. I think Boone will become the DP and hit for Lee. That means Bahl will still hit.
- But I prefer that May will relieve Storako. With Boone just substituting in for Bahl for defense and to let Bahl warm up to start Game 2.

Against Liberty:

1 Coleman CF
2 Jennings 2B
3 Sanders 1B
4 Hansen DP
5 Erickson C
6 Lyons SS
7 Brito 3B
8 Nugent RF
9 Boone LF
SP Bahl

- I think Deal may pitch in this game in relief.

At the end of the day, I think we will see every Sooner play, pitch and probably hit except for Geurin.

Boomer Sooner!
ousbfan

Post by ousbfan »

I was outta pocket for awhile and missed a lot, so where does Coor fit in?
White River

Post by White River »

ousbfan wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:00 pm I was outta pocket for awhile and missed a lot, so where does Coor fit in?

Her primary role will be a pinch runner. She brings speed to the OF but unless there is a team we want to play small ball against, I think her bat keeps her in a pinch runner and mop-up role most of the season.
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

ousbfan wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:00 pm I was outta pocket for awhile and missed a lot, so where does Coor fit in?
It seems that Nugent and a couple of others have proved that they can play the OF and have a bigger bat. Nugent, Erickson, Lilio. coor will have a role and will get playing time but may not start much.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

1KCSoonerFan wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:29 am Powerfully-Smooth lineup there! Props to Trops! Enjoying the frequent new topics!

I might flip flop Jennings and Sanders in the order to have Jennings protecting Sanders (for a potential two runners to knock in); though there is not a whole lot of room for 'walking around' the top four batters.

I like Lyons ahead of Lee, too, because Lyons had more HR's and a very solid BA last year...and it just feels good to me to have her 'next to' Hansen. ha.

Gasso said in a podcast that Torres was tearing it up with batting, so it will be interesting to see where she falls in the order come game day.

Will Jordy bat and/or play LF this game? Might seem like a lot to put on her first time out; but, hey, it's Jordy, right?!

Ain't it fun to have this caliber of quality talent to move around? It is like playing a chess game and all your pieces are Queens!
Thanks for your kind thoughts KC...
LOL.....yeah.....it is fun to dream with the amount of talent we have.
But....in spite of all the talent we are blessed with...they all still have to go out and execute.
I have a confession. I know I gave the qualification that everyone be 100% full go. And after fall ball, I did feel really comfortable that Bahl was back to Bahl, and Hansen was ready to "tear it up again". But the back of my mind was knawing at me about Lyons, and even though she was 3rd high in HRs after Alo and Jennings last year, I think I unconsciously put her down at #6 just in case maybe she really hadn't fully recovered. And with it being her right shoulder that is recovering, I now more fully realize why Gasso had Jennings working out at SS the last couple of games this last fall. (Although we could just as easily have Brito at SS or Torres at SS (their natural position when they were in the PAC12.) And to carry that thought out one step further, if Lyons is not ready yet, if Gasso does go with Jennings at short, you still have Lilio or even Hodge available for 2nd. But I digress.........
Yes, it is great to have Sanders protecting Jennings, Hansen protecting Sanders, Lee protecting Hansen.....on and on.....

Thanks for the information about Torres tearing it up with batting practice....I did not know that.....really cool. I very well may have grossly underestimated her.
aka Crimson47
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

OUBeliever56A wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:58 am I will go at this a bit different and provide the first two starting lineups since it is a DH opening day in back-to-back games.

Against Duke:

1 Coleman CF
2 Jennings 2B
3 Sanders 1B
4 Hansen C
5 Lee DP
6 Lyons SS
7 Torres RF
8 Brito 3B
9 Bahl LF
SP Storako

- I prefer to think of 3/4 as Sanders protecting Jennings instead of Jennings protecting Sanders. Sanders is going to have a very big year. Quiet confidence is something special.
- I am worried a bit about Lee's high number of Ks batting 5th. But I think to start the season, Lyons will follow Lee in the order to allow Lyons to fully gain confidence in her shoulder after the brief time off for Lyons.
- I think Bahl could come in and finish the game for OU with Boone moving to RF. I think Boone will become the DP and hit for Lee. That means Bahl will still hit.
- But I prefer that May will relieve Storako. With Boone just substituting in for Bahl for defense and to let Bahl warm up to start Game 2.

Against Liberty:

1 Coleman CF
2 Jennings 2B
3 Sanders 1B
4 Hansen DP
5 Erickson C
6 Lyons SS
7 Brito 3B
8 Nugent RF
9 Boone LF
SP Bahl

- I think Deal may pitch in this game in relief.

At the end of the day, I think we will see every Sooner play, pitch and probably hit except for Geurin.

Boomer Sooner!
I think we had similar thoughts about Lyons.
You have some interesting ideas about Bahl in the outfield. And the more pictures I see with her out there it does make sense. I don't remember where I came across it but I seem to remember I either read or heard somewhere that Torres had some reservations about getting close to the wall in the outfield. I hope I didn't dream that, or I am going crazy. But that's why I swapped her with Brito in my "want to" lineup. What I hope we wind up with is someone that is willing and able to climb the wall to rob opposing HRs like Coleman and possibly Coor (I wish she had a bat!).
I also like the way Boone can field a hard hit ball on a one hop to RF and wind up throwing the runner out before she gets to first. Seems like she did that a couple of times last year....
aka Crimson47
1KCSoonerFan

Post by 1KCSoonerFan »

Tropical,

I, too, heard that comment about Torres being wall-shy. Was it on one of the podcasts? I can verify your thinking because I recall a short conversation about how she wasn't used to playing the wall as a former infielder...

Another thought I have had about Lyons: She had a pacemaker implanted when she was very young, maybe ten yrs old? She said she wore some protection under her jersey for this reason. (This was from an interview with her back when she was still at Sandra Day O'Connor high school.) I assume she still has the pacemaker, but not sure. What a fearless and tough lady!!

Something tingles my memory that a part of that device ran into her right arm; but I cannot be 100% certain. However, when I learned she had some issues with her right shoulder, it caused me to wonder if it was linked.

Lyons had a shortened swing at times last year, too. Related? It's my impression that Patty takes the health of her players VERY seriously and involves the doctor, player, and her family in all discussions, so I have confidence the right decisions will be made. I hope Lyons is fully recovered.
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Lyons' issue with her shoulder/right arm had nothing to with her pacemaker. I too, originally had that thought.
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

As TropicalSooner and 1KCSoonerFan mentioned above. I too heard the Torres comment ad about the wall. I think that is why that she probably has not 'won' the RF or 'LF' job. But Torres bat could be the reason she is still in the running.

I guess that Brito was able to separate herself from Torres at 3B to earn the job there and that her bat is worth having her in the lineup every day. Well, almost every day at least.

We all need to understand that 11 or 12 Sooners will play this year for several reasons.
1 - to prepare for 2025 when the Hansen/Jennings classes both are gone.
2 - to reward effort and talent that is waiting to play and earning the playing time.
3 - to play the 'hot' hitter or the 'strong' defensive player based upon the opponent.

We may see a different player start in RF in all five games the first weekend. We may see 2 or 3 players start in LF the same weekend. The C/DP/1B positions may be a merry-go-round as well. The Sooner depth and talent will be evident all season long.

Boomer Sooner!
1KCSoonerFan

Post by 1KCSoonerFan »

'56

I hope you are right about Lyons! If it were a health issue, I have no doubt HCPG would be all over it for Lyon's benefit. Go Grace!

I have wondered about your takes about a thought that crossed my mind on the macro level:

- How do you juggle all these elite women with more piling in every year? I was thinking about the transfer portal pick ups last year: Is the benefit they can add right now more than the long term benefit of getting some of our bench players more regular experience and playing time? Could our bench have won us another Natty this year without the transfers? (I think our bench could give it a helluva go!) Would we have been set up better long term if we only took Storako and Sanders from the portal, for example? Did we really need Lee and Torres since we already have Nugent, Erickson, Hodge and Lilio to fit those spots and might be even better players with some PT? Win now, worry later? This hasn't seemed to affect recruiting as the uber strong classes keep rolling in...but could it at some point?

You get my drift here. I confess that once a young lady commits to the Sooners, I don't want her to feel discouraged and leave. I feel loyal and proud of her in a way. Some have left before. More will again, I know. It still breaks a little tender part of my heart when that happens, if if it is for the best.

Thanks!

This is going to be a year like no other because everything about softball is growing like no other sport! And with OU at the top, they gonna get all the prime coverage and buzz!

Boomer!
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

1KCSoonerFan wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:02 am '56

I hope you are right about Lyons! If it were a health issue, I have no doubt HCPG would be all over it for Lyon's benefit. Go Grace!

I have wondered about your takes about a thought that crossed my mind on the macro level:

- How do you juggle all these elite women with more piling in every year? I was thinking about the transfer portal pick ups last year: Is the benefit they can add right now more than the long term benefit of getting some of our bench players more regular experience and playing time? Could our bench have won us another Natty this year without the transfers? (I think our bench could give it a helluva go!) Would we have been set up better long term if we only took Storako and Sanders from the portal, for example? Did we really need Lee and Torres since we already have Nugent, Erickson, Hodge and Lilio to fit those spots and might be even better players with some PT? Win now, worry later? This hasn't seemed to affect recruiting as the uber strong classes keep rolling in...but could it at some point?

You get my drift here. I confess that once a young lady commits to the Sooners, I don't want her to feel discouraged and leave. I feel loyal and proud of her in a way. Some have left before. More will again, I know. It still breaks a little tender part of my heart when that happens, if if it is for the best.

Thanks!

This is going to be a year like no other because everything about softball is growing like no other sport! And with OU at the top, they gonna get all the prime coverage and buzz!

Boomer!
Kansas City....I know you addressed your question to '56, but you bring up a great point about transfers and bench. And while I certainly don't know what is going through Coach Gasso's mind in regards to the strategy here, I do have a thought about your concern.....and then I too will sit back and wait for '56's comments.
My impression about the transfers and bench, to me anyway, stems from this: It is Patty Gasso JOB to field Championship teams--teach them....train them....mature them in the Championship Mentality Philosophy, and to that end, I'm sure that she makes it clear to everyone that signs up to be an Oklahoma Sooner that they are going to have to go out and fight and earn their position on the field. When Patty brings in All American caliber transfers, this has the immediate effect on the bench and freshmen that they are going to have to up their game if they want to see the field. At the same time, the AA transfers coming in also realize that they are not going to be given the job just because they had a good year last year, but they too are going to have to earn the job. It's the old iron sharpens iron thing. If you are a true blue Sooner, and have the fortitude to stick it out and keep pushing yourself, you can earn playing time. We have had some that upon arrival, realized they were way out of their league, and they chose to transfer to another school where they would have more opportunities to play.

I know there are some players that are not getting much playing time, Green and Coor come to mind, but they still add value to the team with leadership, speed, and tenacity. Everyone also knows that they are only one injury away from suddenly taking the field and I'm betting that our reserves could beat 90% of the teams we will face.

These are just my thoughts.....that and a couple of bucks will get you a coffee somewhere....but I too am interested in the take from folks who have a whole lot more experience and knowledge regarding your question.
aka Crimson47
oufanforever

Post by oufanforever »

My thought on the transfer portal is Patty will bring in the best player she can at each position. To get play time you have to beat out the starters in practice to show you can perform at that level. Iron sharpens Iron, so to speak. If you want to leave due to playing time, Patty will just bring the next player who want to compete and win the job. She will not coddle your feelings by giving you playing time that is not earned, even if you were an WCWS MVP candidate (e.g. Donihoo). Every player that signs with OU, both high school and transfer portal player should know this. Torres may not get on the field if she can't adjust to the left field position despite being a highly touted transfer. As long as Patty give each player a fair shot, I like this approach.
TN Sooner

Post by TN Sooner »

I think the key factor for the Sooners this year is simply how well the team can manage the collection of talented athletes and the egos that can sometimes accompany high performance people.

I believe Coach Gasso has built an incredible culture of “team” first and has a long track record of managing the best athletes. The team has the right mix of leaders with 3-5 years in the program, who also happen to be the best players in the team (Hansen, Coleman, Jennings and Lyons) to be able to absorb new players, some of whom are high caliber players in their own right.

I certainly expect Gasso and the team to rise to the occasion and make us all proud.