Attrition

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
anthrosooner

Attrition

Post by anthrosooner »

So far OU has picked up a pitcher and an infielder from the Transfer Portal. Other than McKenzie Donihoo going to Tennessee, are there any OU players who have entered the Transfer Portal?
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

anthrosooner wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:10 pm So far OU has picked up a pitcher and an infielder from the Transfer Portal. Other than McKenzie Donihoo going to Tennessee, are there any OU players who have entered the Transfer Portal?
Alexx Waitman entered the portal last fall. But she did not very really suit up for the Sooners even then.

So far, there are no additional Sooners in the portal. The current roster is 21.

I think they are ready for the 2022 - 2023 season with their current roster.

Super Seniors : Grace Lyons, Grace Green (Mead), Alex Storako

Seniors (Eligible for one more year in 2023-2024) : Kinzie Hansen, Rylie Boone, Macy McAdoo, Alynah Torres

Juniors : Jayda Coleman, Tiare Jennings, Nicole May, Alyssa Brito

Sophomores : Jordyn Bahl, Sophia Nugent, Turiya Coleman, Hannah Coor

Red-Shirt Freshman : Quincee Lilio, Emma Guthrie

Freshman : Kiersten Deal, Jocelyn Erickson, Avery Hodge, SJ Geurin
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Did Grace Green and Bryan tie the knot this summer?
aka Crimson47
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

In about a week her and Brian Mead will get married.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Congratulations to them both! Hope they have a long and fulfilling marriage. Best Wishes to them.
aka Crimson47
portalball

Post by portalball »

TropicalSooner wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:25 pm Did Grace Green and Bryan tie the knot this summer?
Brian Mead will not be on the OU softball team next year
TN Sooner

Post by TN Sooner »

Are you sure? In today’s world…
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

portalball wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:11 am
TropicalSooner wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:25 pm Did Grace Green and Bryan tie the knot this summer?
Brian Mead will not be on the OU softball team next year
But when they get married, Grace could become, Grace Mead or Grace Green-Mead or she could retain her Grace Green for softball purposes. I just included a reference to her potential new last name.
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

Turiya Coleman listed in the portal now, and very likely will be gone soon.
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

I thought the Sooners were going to move into 2023 with 14 position players and 7 pitchers.

But with Turiya Coleman moving on, things have changed.

On the other side of the formula, I was a little surprised that we currently have 7 pitchers on the roster.

I think it is tough these days for full-time successful summer league players to deal with not playing as a freshman. They simple are not used to doing so and it is hard to keep them happy some times. As a coach, you probably want your players that are not starting to be a bit frustrated because that should keep them playing hard to 'earn' more playing time. But that is a fine-edged sword that obviously cuts both ways. The days of players like Paris Townsend, Kady Self, Erin Mitchell, Macy Hatfield, Reagan Rogers, Kylie Lundberg spending 2, 3, or 4 years at OU and waiting for their moments in the 'sun' to start may be a thing of the past.

It is an issue of expectations and the promise of a transfer portal that, in theory, makes it easy to find somewhere else to play. Just look at the list of players from 2021 that transferred away from OU and the success that they found. Koeltzow, The Flores sisters, Vestal, Puni, Knight, Thiede and Rains. Other players like Shultz and LaValley have found places to play as well. I have very little doubt that Donihoo and T Coleman will find places to play and that they will likely play well enough to keep themselves happy. Or at least, I hope they do.

For now, the Sooners have 13 position players. That may mean that they have 4 substitutes for games. I think, at least to start out, the 4 subs will be Nugent, Hodge, Lilio and Coor. Those four are quality substitutes that any P5 school would like to have on their roster. But it is a bit thin. One injury and you are down to 3 subs. Bahl could change that if she does play in the field and hit some in 2023. But with her forearm injury, I wonder if that is still the plan for 2023. T Coleman or Donihoo would have been able to provide additional quality depth if they could have seen their way to remain a Sooner.

Ideally, the Sooners need 1 or maybe 2 role playing players to add needed or desired depth. The rumors of one more, some say even two more transfers coming to the Sooners will help the depth situation, but it repeats the same issue about playing time and happiness with the non-starters. If the Sooners could find another Reagan Rogers or someone like Elijah Flores that can be viable subs for the outfield/infield that would be a perfect fit for the Sooners for 2023 and perhaps going forward if they were young.

The class of 2023 recruits will add four position players to the Sooners.

Pickering, who could start in the OF,
Parker who could start in a corner OF or DP role,
McEnroe-Marinas, who will challenge for an infield starting role,
Beady, who can play multiple positions but probably fits in the OF best.
That will raise the position players count to 15 for the 2024 season. which is an improvement with Lyons and Green leaving.

But for 2023, another player with some patience could help the Sooners.

Boomer Sooner!
ousbfan

Post by ousbfan »

56, who are the rumors of the 1 or 2 more players transferring in?
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

ousbfan wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:21 pm 56, who are the rumors of the 1 or 2 more players transferring in?
Some say Cydney Sanders - will be a Soph (1B) from Arizona State.
Some say Haley Lee - will be a 5th YR SR (C/1B) from Texas A&M.

A few say both.
ousbfan

Post by ousbfan »

Thanks 56, I remember seeing Sanders play but don't remember much about Lee, but even it's just rumors prob means they would be good pickups for the team.
OU_Tom

Post by OU_Tom »

While Cydney Sanders/Hayley provide power, I think that those 2 don’t really help with the lack of positional player depth problem. I think 1st base might be the one position where we have a glut of talent. It would not surprise me if OU keeps grabbing second and third basemen out of the portal for the next few years
::rice2:: :dude:
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

ousbfan wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:10 pm Thanks 56, I remember seeing Sanders play but don't remember much about Lee, but even it's just rumors prob means they would be good pickups for the team.
Haley Lee was the only player from Texas A&M that got a significant hit against us--a 2 run HR in their first loss to us 3-2 in the regionals this year. She has a good bat, .405 ave with 1.305 OPS, 15 doubles and 15 HRs this last season. People that follow rumors and twitter seem to indicate she wants to come here. I did not verify that. She was their catcher with 1B experience. With Erickson coming in this fall, we would be full of catchers.
Sanders is the ASU player that, most people that predict these things have indicated, will be coming here. She has .425 Ave, 1.518 OPS, 14 doubles and 21 HRs this last season. She would be primary 1B. I don't know if she plays elsewhere. If we add her along with Torres at 3B, then our infield is pretty well set, and like '56 indicated, Coor, Lilio, Nugent, and also Hodge, and Green would be the subs assuming Erickson takes over DP. I have mixed feelings regarding Lee and Sanders. If we take both, it doesn't really help develop our sophomores and new incoming freshmen. On the other hand they do provide proven power bats, and we did lose Alo, Elam and Johns. If our sophomore class doesn't get real playing time during fall ball this year, what then?
I have to give hats off credit to Grace Green. She came in and had a great freshman year...then wrestled with covid year and an injury, and since has seen limited playing time--yet she has stayed with the program contributing in any way she can whenever asked. And she will be a 5th year Senior this fall. In my book, she is a True Sooner.
aka Crimson47