Tournament in Norman

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Thought I would give a 'team' update about the Norman Tourney.

Mojo Fisher ( K Deal LHP ) - Despite winning their pool group (3-0) they lost their first game in the bracket and now have a long road to the bracket finals. They played at 8 AM this morning and Deal pitched and tossed a 1-hitter with many strikeouts with a very small strike zone. She get a great deal of swings and misses. They are playing their second game today now and will play basically every 2 hours the rest of the day. They will be up a Buck Thomas Fields all day until midnight. They have to win 6 games to get to the semi-finals. they have two other pitchers beside Deal but it is a long road. I have seen Deal pitch three times now. She is what is advertised. If Bahl recovers fully, the Sooners have a great deal of very good pitching.

Hotshots National (K Pickering OF ) - They won their pool group (3-0) and won twice last night to remain unbeaten. their day today starts @ 3.:20-ish today. If they win that game they play @ 7:00 PM for a berth in the semi-finals (with an IF) game. If they lose the first game they play in the next game and have to win 3 straight to get to the Semi-Finals. They will also be up a Buck Thomas Fields all day until midnight. The more I see of Pickering the more I am impressed with her. she is a hitter. A pure lefty that hits the ball hard. I think I will revise my impression of her size. She is more like Grace Lyons than Erin Miller. She is just taller than I originally thought and has strong shoulders.

Texas Bombers Gold ( A Hodge and SJ Geurin ) - Their pool group was very strong and they finished in 3rd (1-2). They are still unbeaten in bracket games as they have won three games last night. They play the OC Batbusters today @ 3.20 at the Buck Thomas fields. If they win, they play at 7:00 PM at the Thomas fields. If they lose the first game, they have to drive to Marita Hynes to play a game before returning to the Buck Thomas fields for the 7:00 PM game (with an IF game). Two straight wins put them in the Semi-Finals or they need to win 3 straight after at 3:20 loss. The more I see of Hodge, the more I like. she is a tough young lady as he got beat up a little yesterday. But she was still there with a dirty uniform playing every inning. She will probably be a 9-hole hitter at OU, but she can do many things on the base paths. Geurin has thrown many innings already. She got hit a bit last night late but her pitch location was pretty good. I thought she threw a bit harder last night also. Geurin seems willing to take the ball and throw as needed.

OC Batbusters ( J Erickson, E Parker and M Bland ) - They finished 2nd in the pool group (2-1). They have won 3 bracket games and scored at least 9 runs in each game. Their schedule is just like the Texas Bombers Gold as they play each other at 3:20 PM at the Buk Thomas fields. Erickson has played both 1B and catcher. She has picked off at least 3 runners at 1B that I have seen. She is very nonchalant about it when she does so. Being a lefty catcher helps her a great deal. I have not seen anyone try to steal on her. She is also a good defensive 1B. she continues to hit also. I have seen 2 HRs that she has hit. I do not think I have seen her make an out. She is not a fast runner. But she can still move enough on the base paths. Parker has started to hit the ball well for the Batbusters and play LF. I have not seen her pitch though. She does hit the ball hard and continues to look good on the base paths. M Blade is playing RF well and is getting on base often. She makes good contact when she swings and has a decent arm in RF.

The Semi-Finals are at 8 AM and at 12:30 PM at Marita Hynes on Saturday. The Finals are at 5 PM.
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Friday Afternoon update.

Mojo Fisher has won 3 games today. They won the game this morning 1-0 that I mentioned earlier. Now they have won 2 more games by the score of 6-0 and 7-0.

They have made it to the 3:20 games which is a big deal.

All four teams with OU ties are in the Top 16 teams now. All four play in the 3:20 games that are starting about now.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

I will be very interested in learning how Deal pitches through the rest of this tournament. It is very much sounding like Deal is the "real Deal"!
Thanks for all your updates!!!
aka Crimson47
Lasooner11

Post by Lasooner11 »

Watched most of these games today and Deal performed well. The Bombers beat Batbusters but mostly OU players doing well. Erickson is a legit threat and so is Parker. Hodge is scrappy and tough. Sj took another shot to that hand and guessing maybe 50% healthy. I can’t imagine what a fully healthy SJ looks like. These ladies are fighting and stand out!
OU_Tom

Post by OU_Tom »

So the OC batbuster pipeline continues. I think 13 batbusters have played at OU

Plus 3 = 16

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/sports/ ... 969532001/
::rice2:: :dude:
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Update as of Saturday Morning.

Three of the four Sooner-related teams made it to the Semi-Finals this morning.

MOJO Fisher won their 3:20 game against KC Peppers Wallace 10-0. In their 5:10 game against Atlanta Vipers 18 Gold - Tamborra, MOJO Fisher was leading 5-1 going in to the final inning but committed at least 3 errors in the inning and allowed the Vipers to score 6 runs to take a 7-5 lead after the top half of the inning. That was the final score of the game as MOJO was defeated after a 7-2 weekend. Kiersten Deal (LHP) plays for MOJO and pitched very well this weekend and will be a Sooner this fall.

In the 8:00 AM game this morning at Marita Hynes will be the Birmingham Thunderbolts (7-1) and the Texas Bombers Gold (6-2). The Bombers have won 5 straight games in the bracket by outscoring their opponents 50-17. Two of the primary players for the Bombers are Avery Hodge (SS-2B) and SJ Geurin (LHP) who will be Sooners this fall. Both Geurin and Hodge have played well this weekend. Hodge bats leads-off for the Bombers and Geurin has pitched many key innings for the Bombers. Geurin defeated the OC Batbusters in the 3:20 game on Friday afternoon. The Bombers have a familiar pitching coach in Cat Osterman (ex-Texas pitcher). This game will be a game of speed as both teams have extremely fast players on the field. I think the Bombers have a bit more power however and that may make a difference.

In the other Semi-final game at 12:30 PM today will be the Hotshots Nationals - Nelson (7-0) and the OC Batbusters - Stith (8-2). Kasidi Pickering plays CF for the Hotshots while Jocelyn Erickson (C-1B), Ella Parker (OF-DP) and Maya Bland (RF) play for the Batbusters. All four will be Sooners from the 2022 and 2023 classes. Erickson will be a Sooner this fall. The Hotshots have played very well all weekend as they are 7-0 on the weekend. They have limited their opponents to 3 runs or less in 6 of those games. The OC Batbusters battled back after their loss to the Bombers at 3:20 and won 3 straight games to get to the Semi-Finals. Pickering, Erickson and Parker have played very well this weekend. These two teams are both very strong teams. Both have their share of speed but both also have the ability to hit the ball deep and in the gaps. This should also be a very good game.

The two winners play at 5 PM tonight at Marita Hynes in the championship game.

If you come out to the games at Marita Hynes, there are no concessions but you can bring your own drinks and/or food. Entry is $12 per person / $8 for seniors.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

OUBeliever56A wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:44 am Update as of Saturday Morning.

Three of the four Sooner-related teams made it to the Semi-Finals this morning.

MOJO Fisher won their 3:20 game against KC Peppers Wallace 10-0. In their 5:10 game against Atlanta Vipers 18 Gold - Tamborra, MOJO Fisher was leading 5-1 going in to the final inning but committed at least 3 errors in the inning and allowed the Vipers to score 6 runs to take a 7-5 lead after the top half of the inning. That was the final score of the game as MOJO was defeated after a 7-2 weekend. Kiersten Deal (LHP) plays for MOJO and pitched very well this weekend and will be a Sooner this fall.

In the 8:00 AM game this morning at Marita Hynes will be the Birmingham Thunderbolts (7-1) and the Texas* Bombers Gold (6-2). The Bombers have won 5 straight games in the bracket by outscoring their opponents 50-17. Two of the primary players for the Bombers are Avery Hodge (SS-2B) and SJ Geurin (LHP) who will be Sooners this fall. Both Geurin and Hodge have played well this weekend. Hodge bats leads-off for the Bombers and Geurin has pitched many key innings for the Bombers. Geurin defeated the OC Batbusters in the 3:20 game on Friday afternoon. The Bombers have a familiar pitching coach in Cat Osterman (ex-Texas pitcher). This game will be a game of speed as both teams have extremely fast players on the field. I think the Bombers have a bit more power however and that may make a difference.

In the other Semi-final game at 12:30 PM today will be the Hotshots Nationals - Nelson (7-0) and the OC Batbusters - Stith (8-2). Kasidi Pickering plays CF for the Hotshots while Jocelyn Erickson (C-1B), Ella Parker (OF-DP) and Maya Bland (RF) play for the Batbusters. All four will be Sooners from the 2022 and 2023 classes. Erickson will be a Sooner this fall. The Hotshots have played very well all weekend as they are 7-0 on the weekend. They have limited their opponents to 3 runs or less in 6 of those games. The OC Batbusters battled back after their loss to the Bombers at 3:20 and won 3 straight games to get to the Semi-Finals. Pickering, Erickson and Parker have played very well this weekend. These two teams are both very strong teams. Both have their share of speed but both also have the ability to hit the ball deep and in the gaps. This should also be a very good game.

The two winners play at 5 PM tonight at Marita Hynes in the championship game.

If you come out to the games at Marita Hynes, there are no concessions but you can bring your own drinks and/or food. Entry is $12 per person / $8 for seniors.
'56....sorry..... my posts about Erickson have been kinda divided between two threads this morning.....
I can't wait for Erickson to start fall practice this year......I wonder how she will do in batting practice against Bahl, Storako, and May?????
aka Crimson47
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

From a poster on another board......Texas Bombers Gold beats Birmingham Thunderbolts 9-8
aka Crimson47
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

The OC Batbusters wins 3-1 over Hotshots National in the 2:30 Semi-final.

The only two players that I saw that were intentional given a walk to 1st base this weekend with 1st base open were; Jocelyn Erickson and Ella Parker of the Batbusters in today game vs the Hotshots.

It is the Bombers vs the Batbusters at 5:00 PM tonight at Marita Hynes. There will be 5 future Sooners playing in the game. For the Bombers - Avery Hodge MIF 2022 and SJ Geurin LHP 2022. For the Batbusters - Jocelyn Ericson C/1B 2022, Ella Parker - LF/DP/P 2023 and Maya Bland RF/DP 2023.

Boomer Sooner!
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

OUBeliever56A wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:35 pm The OC Batbusters wins 3-1 over Hotshots National in the 2:30 Semi-final.

The only two players that I saw that were intentional given a walk to 1st base this weekend with 1st base open were; Jocelyn Erickson and Ella Parker of the Batbusters in today game vs the Hotshots.

It is the Bombers vs the Batbusters at 5:00 PM tonight at Marita Hynes. There will be 5 future Sooners playing in the game. For the Bombers - Avery Hodge MIF 2022 and SJ Geurin LHP 2022. For the Batbusters - Jocelyn Ericson C/1B 2022, Ella Parker - LF/DP/P 2023 and Maya Bland RF/DP 2023.

Boomer Sooner!
Ooooohhhhh...Erickson and Parker were intentionally walked! i'm sure those were called for by the coach....
I''m really interested how our 3 Batbusters do going up against Geurin! I'm sure SJ will want to challenge them again. If Parker pitches for the Batbusters, let me know how Hodge does against her. Does Geurin hit?
aka Crimson47
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

OUBeliever56A wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:38 pm
Deal looks like she had a good weekend. Is there any way to know how she has done cumulatively all summer? And also for her senior year in HS?

Are there more games scheduled for all of them for the summer? or did the series this weekend wrap things up for all our players?
aka Crimson47
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

In the Championship Game, the OC Batbusters - Stith defeated the Texas Bombers Gold 6-1.

Both teams represented themselves very well this long weekend. As a Sooner fan I enjoyed watching the 2 Bombers and future OU players Avery Hodge and SJ Geurin. Both played well all weekend. I also enjoyed watching all 3 OC Batbusters and future Sooners Jocelyn Erickson, Ella Parker and Maya Bland. All three of these players played well all weekend also.

The other future Sooner, Kiersten Deal played for the Mojo Fisher team as the Mojo team finished in the Top 12 teams. Deal, per the earlier post, pitched very well this week also.

Boomer Sooner!
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

TropicalSooner wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:34 pm Deal looks like she had a good weekend. Is there any way to know how she has done cumulatively all summer? And also for her senior year in HS?

Are there more games scheduled for all of them for the summer? or did the series this weekend wrap things up for all our players?
I was told this weekend that Deal is going to take some time off for about 5-6 weeks. Her next action is going to be a big tourney out west. There are no issues, just resting a bit after a long high schools season and early summer action.

I know that Deal pitched all three games in the North Carolina Finals of their state softball tourney, but I did not ask about the results.
Lasooner11

Post by Lasooner11 »

I noticed Deal had KT tape all over left elbow. My thought is tendinitis and mechanical issues.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Ouch!
aka Crimson47